Derek Humphery-Smith

I can't ever get SEN to pick up the phone when I call in, but as he always staunchly defends the umpires' decisions, I would love to hear his explanation of the following;

1. Out-on-the-full call against Ben Johnson
2. Free kick for unknown reason against Tyson Goldsack in marking contest
3. Non-decision for push-in-the-back by Gehrig on Wakelin which resulted in a goal
4. Push-in-the-back paid against Nick Maxwell when he used body contact to the side

If anyone has more luck calling the station than I do when he's on, please ask Humper what he thought of those for me :thumbsu:

There were lots of questionable calls and non-calls from yesterday's game. Both teams would be able to find a dozen questionable calls.

Fortunately (for you) the umpires didn't effect the result.

The better team won.

Baby Blue

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2004
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Because clubs like yours cant support themselves.

I'm sure the bulldogs would get by just fine with their share of the $780 million media deal.

Collingwood's dream draw is ****ing crazy. If its all about maximising revenue and tv numbers then why not have the magpies travel more which allows 10 and 7 to show their games live and get record breaking ratings?

Lexus Rose Oval

Debutant
Aug 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydenham Sharks/New York Knicks
I'm sure the bulldogs would get by just fine with their share of the $780 million media deal.

Collingwood's dream draw is ****ing crazy. If its all about maximising revenue and tv numbers then why not have the magpies travel more which allows 10 and 7 to show their games live and get record breaking ratings?

ask the kanga's and doggies to nominate playing Collingwood interstate at NT and Canberra. i know what there answer will be. we have traveled 4 times this year how many times do you want us to travel.

The silly thing about the "poor clubs want to play us" line is the notion that the AFL would listen to these clubs on the draw but ignore them on everything else.

I guess though, if Eddie says it, it must be true. :rolleyes:

Lexus Rose Oval

Debutant
Aug 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydenham Sharks/New York Knicks
The silly thing about the "poor clubs want to play us" line is the notion that the AFL would listen to these clubs on the draw but ignore them on everything else.

I guess though, if Eddie says it, it must be true. :rolleyes:

Every team every year puts in a wish list of who they want to play. And i have a feeling that those poor clubs request Collingwood at home.

chrisjie

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I like Humper. Only because he puts himself in the firing line, which is why I respect him. He was great on White Line Fever, always looked forward to him arguing with Tony Shaw.

I do know he wants to abolish the hands in the back rule.

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
So in the last 8 weeks we play:

Geelong - they request NOT to play us at Skilled to maxmise revenue.
Essendon - where should we play them? Subiaco?
Lions - already been to Brisbane, want us to go again?
Carlton - perhaps we should play this in Darwin to prop up our poorly managed club?
Richmond - well we've been to Subi to play Essendon and Darwin to play Carlton, we may as well play Richmond at AAMI stadium....
Melbourne - hmm, lets play this one in Alice Springs just to mix things up
Sydney - already been to Sydney, should we play them in Brisbane this time?
Adelaide - already been to AAMI to play them (and richmond!) I'm out of ideas, lets play them in Tassie perhaps?

Idiot.

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
What would challenging Hyphen achieve?

If you're after a genuine explanation for these bewildering decisions, you'd be sorely disappointed. All you'd get from Hyphen is condescending drivel. If you want to highlight the low standard of umpiring generally, you're preaching to the converted.

Derek Humphery-Smith is an absolute ****. The man lost his job as an umpire because he couldn't do it properly. Couldn't even bounce the ball straight. And he's got the gall to hold himself up as an expert commentator on all things umpiring. If some player got delisted because he couldn't kick, mark or handball, and then he turned up the next year doing special comments I wouldn't have any time for him. Best thing to do is ignore the Hyphen and hope he goes away.

Every team every year puts in a wish list of who they want to play. And i have a feeling that those poor clubs request Collingwood at home.

And you don't think Collingwood asks for Collingwood at home?

LOL - on the balance of probabilities who do you think they listen to? Collingwood or the Kangaroos? :D

Jun 2, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
And you don't think Collingwood asks for Collingwood at home?

LOL - on the balance of probabilities who do you think they listen to? Collingwood or the Kangaroos? :D
Irrelevant really, we'd still be playing them in Melbourne, because despite selling home games to the Gold Coast, they won't be using them to play Collingwood, its simple economics.

Seth

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2001
In the Study
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cameron University Aggies
5. Why does Collingwood get a dream draw?

Tell you what smartar5e cause i'm sick of you people sooking about this. Do you know you actually travel interstate for 3 games this year. 3 away games against interstate games. And before you say no it's 5 games. 2 of those games are YOUR homes games that you have sold. We travel 4 games. The rest 5 games. So before you sook about it perhaps have a whinge to your club who sells their home games.

5. Why does Collingwood get a dream draw?
LMAO.

Of all the clubs to have a go at Collingwood about their draw, it's a supporter from the one team that clearly gets a better draw than the Magpies.

3 interstate away games. Why on earth are you posting with this off topic drivel, with absolutely no credibility because you're a Bulldogs supporter? :thumbsdown:

G.O.B

Club Legend
Apr 28, 2006
northern suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would hope that all the supporters on here whinging about Collingwood's "amazing" draw are paid up club members who are campaigning for thier club to demand a random draw from the AFL.

Here's a template for all to use.

To whom it may concern.
As a paid up member of (insert club name), I am continually angered by the favorable draw that Collingwood is given by the AFL.
In order to prevent this happening any more in the future I demand that my club cease asking the AFL administration for a home game against Collingwood.
This should ensure that they are required to travel more times interstate.

I do realise that this has the potential to seriously damage our bottom line at the end of the year and that Collingwood dont seem to have much trouble winning at interstate venues, but I hate them irrationally and feel the need to lash out.
My favored location for this is on an internet forum but I have been goaded into action and dont want to lose any cyber credibility.

Yours Sincerely,
JeffDunne

Back