Derek Kickett says Kevin Sheedy had a ‘personal vendetta’ against him

Remove this Banner Ad

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
IT’S one of footy’s most well known storylines.

While Essendon fans will remember with fondness defeating Carlton in the 1993 grand final, there’ll always be a sidebar whenever that premiership is discussed.

In what was the most controversial decision of his illustrious coaching career, Kevin Sheedy dropped Derek Kickett for the decider even though he’d played every match of the 1992 and 1993 seasons.

The half-forward and on-baller had been having a lean run in the Bombers’ three previous finals, picking up a combined 15 touches, but the stunning call was a shock for everyone given Kickett had been such a pivotal part of Essendon’s successful year. Just a short time beforehand in Round 20 Kickett actually booted eight goals against the Bulldogs.

Sheedy says he made the call to drop Kickett because he felt under pressure to match the crafty tactics of Carlton coach David Parkin.

He wanted to keep Parkin guessing about the make-up of his side and he also said he wasn’t happy with Kickett’s form at training, not believing he had the endurance to run with the Blues.

But Kickett has accused Sheedy of axing him because of a “personal vendetta” and revealed he is yet to speak to his former mentor since he quit the Bombers to join Sydney at the end of 1993. He also said Sheedy’s reluctance to speak may mean he’s “hiding” something.

“No I haven’t (broken bread with Sheedy). I’ve rung him a few times and I’ve had my associate here in Melbourne ring him a few times and he (Sheedy) has said he doesn’t want to speak to me,” Kickett said on Channel Seven’s The Front Bar on Thursday.

“So whatever reason he’s got, maybe he’s hiding something — I don’t know — that the public should know.

“In all my footy career on a Thursday night after a training session, I’ve never rung the manager to say, ‘Am I in the footy team?’ That week of the grand final I rang (Essendon manager) Danny Corcoran and said, ‘Am I in the footy team?’ And he said no.

“I had a feeling I was going to get dropped.

“Sheeds had some personal vendetta against me and it wasn’t about my injury or whatever my performance was, it was a personal vendetta because we had a few words about three or four weeks before the grand final.”

Sheedy refused to comment on Kickett’s remarks when contacted by news.com.au.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/der...m/news-story/bd133f911fe085c98dbaf756be577de4

He had a shocker in the 1990 GF, i remember one centre bounce when he got the ball and tried to break away only to be ran down by Tony Shaw, yes, Tony ******* Shaw, his cards were marked then and there IMO, great player overall though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember him kicking a spiral torpedo from the centre of Leederville oval for a goal the year before he left West Perth and went east.

He spent a year at Claremont before being picked up by Essendon. Would have won the Sandover by a hefty margin if he wasn't suspended during the year.
Not sure why he left West Perth.....

Believe me I can't stand Kevin Sheedy but bloody hell, Kickett just needs to get over it.

Yep. I'm not a Sheedy fan either, but when you sit down to pick a GF team, so many things are factored into it. There's only 22 spots in the team (or 20 back in 1993) and the coach will pick the team he thinks will give him the best chance of success. Kickett, you're not the only player who was unlucky in GF selection. Build a bridge.

20 or so years ago when I was living in Sydney I remember seeing him on a local sports show or on a news segment, and he said he refused to talk to Sheedy, was still pissed off with him, and Sheedy in interviews around then had said he had tried to call Kickett but Derek wouldn't take his call. It seems to have turned 180 degrees.

Last edited:
Did Francis Bourke have a vendetta against Mick Malthouse? Who cares noe anyway. A long time ago. Sleeping dogs.

“It was more about tactics than a personal vendetta. I needed some height in defence ... I had the shortest centre half back in a premiership side in Mark Harvey, and I had an 18-year-old schoolboy as my fullback".

"more about..."??

Tells you it was more than just about form.

With respect to the usual peanut gallery calling him a sook, he was asked on the show and asked the question. He did play every game that year so his omission was surprising.

Whilst it may not cause other people to lose sleep he's entitled to know what happened and the fact the coach didn't ring him or call him in is a disgrace.

He spent a year at Claremont before being picked up by Essendon. Would have won the Sandover by a hefty margin if he wasn't suspended during the year.
Not sure why he left West Perth.....
He went Claremont ---> 1988 at Central Districts in the SANFL ----> 1989 at North Melbourne -----> 1990 Essendon.

He was on the Front Bar last night, very good segment with him and his #1 fan Sam Pang asked him about Sheedy and the fall out. He answered it honestly. He didnt run off to the Herald Sun and have a whinge like a few in here seem to think.

I knew he won the Sandover and was ineligible but I didnt know he won by 16 votes! Was that 2 umpires voting?? One of the most freakishly skilled players to ever play the game.

The first time I saw him play was 1987 State league game WA vs SA in Perth, think it was at the Waca under lights, WAFL had been decimated by the Eagles introduction to the AFL and SA won very easily but Derek got about 37 disposals and played a magical game. Next year moved to SA, pretty much was scouted after that state game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back