Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
What are your thoughts on him?

I know he is a bit strange sometimes he can explains things to much and go into to much detail. Personally i like listening to everything he says tatically he is very smart, i enjoy listening to him discuss teams diferent taitcs and ways to counter act them. I enjoy the time he spends on SEN wit Francis and OX on a Monday arvo, its good listening evn wit the OX's rediculous comments.

He can tend to be a little verbose at times, but as a previous poster said, he is one of the few people in the media who actually gets me thinking. He's a refreshing departure from most media types who talk stereotypes and jargon.

I get a laugh when he's on air with someone like Ox or Billy Brownless, and you can hear Dermie getting really annoyed by their boofhead comments.

I thought he & Cometti were great together on Channel 9's Sunday coverage.
great chemistry & Dermot had the ability to give an insight into the game (and particularly tactics) that you don't get from other 'expert' commentators.

Unfortunately channel 7 went in house with Watson & Ox and the woeful Foxtel experts were a package deal.

I wish he'd STFU sometimes, like earlier this week when he predicted a Hawthorn victory by 72 points. Thanks Derm.

At least he doesn't sit on the fence which is one trait of his I like and no one really ever remembers these kind of predictions, although, on the first ever mid-week pre-Grand Final Footy Show in 1993 he looked down the barrel of the camera and pronounced that Carlton would win by six goals.:eek:

As everyone's said already, he certainly knows his stuff, so I wont cover that.

But another thing about Derm that makes him enjoyable to listen to (and the Ox for that matter) is that he (they) are always so upbeat and jovial, always having a laugh. Makes for good listening.

Silly annoying things and biased? How do you rate Brownless?

This thread is about Dermie, not Billy. If you are interested in opinions on Billy start another thread.

Personally, I can't stand Dermie. Great player, but big head and thinks he knows it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like his media work. Despite him hating Essendon he gives positive reviews of some our of younger players.

He speaks highly of Sam Lonergan because Hawthorn were very keen on him in the 2005 draft and didn't expect anyone to draft him so they held out later on in the draft. Obviously we ended up picking him.

Glad he's gone. Overanalysis gone wrong, and as boring as batshit. Gimme Buckley, or the Ox for that matter any day.

One of my biggest disappointments in growing up is that the man who adorned my walls as a kid is such a tosser. :(

I feel the same way about Tim Watson more for his SEN work. Brereton commentates on football as he played the game, painfully. I`m sure he`s swallowed a dictionary somewhere along the line, it`s like he`s desperate to prove himself in each and every sentence. He needs to take a leaf out of Nathan Buckleys book, or dictionary.

I feel the same way about Tim Watson more for his SEN work. Brereton commentates on football as he played the game, painfully. I`m sure he`s swallowed a dictionary somewhere along the line, it`s like he`s desperate to prove himself in each and every sentence. He needs to take a leaf out of Nathan Buckleys book, or dictionary.

Agree with all of that. Buckley is the best "special comments" commentator to come along for a long time. Pity he won't be doing it for long. Surely it's 99% certain he will be coaching the Pies after Malthouse.

Nathan Buckley, Leigh Mathews, Dunstall & Luke Darcy :thumbsu:.........Forget the rest. They either over analize (Dermie) dont have a clue (Ox) just plain stupid and living off that (Billy) or biased in their views (Jackovich,Lynch).

He sounds enthusiastic about the game, uses fewer cliches than most and unlike many ex-players he can actually string a few words together.

Perhaps at times he strings together more words than strictly necessary, but overall I don't mind him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back