News Dermott Brereton taps Tex on the shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

Club is clueless. Likely 2 factions at the club. Those that want him retired and those that can't make hard decisions. We know which one normally prevails. Scott Thompson all over again.

Tex has a contract though, his 2021 salary is guaranteed, Thommo was desperate for another pay day. There should be no need for Tex to do this. Club has now been wedged, Tex isn't retiring after 2020, let alone 200. How is the inevitable question on future not being responded with the normal straight bat rubbish followed by, "we're working with the club now on what 2021 looks like". Nope, not our club, we sit on our hands and let a cooked senior player dictate the narrative. We're so ****ed.

Tex has a contract though, his 2021 salary is guaranteed, Thommo was desperate for another pay day. There should be no need for Tex to do this. Club has now been wedged, Tex isn't retiring after 2020, let alone 200. How is the inevitable question on future not being responded with the normal straight bat rubbish followed by, "we're working with the club now on what 2021 looks like". Nope, not our club, we sit on our hands and let a cooked senior player dictate the narrative. We're so f’ed.
Knowing how Riccuito and the other incompetents protect their bad decisions I don't expect Walker to be payed out even though he will likely finish his career at Elizabeth and Unley oval playing in front of 500 people. Might even get a senior game once or twice so they don't look like the complete idiots they are. Anyone can see his is finished. Grow some balls AFC and for once just act like a decent club and do what needs to be done.

Last edited:
And in the lead up to his 200th too when he rightfully should be being applauded for his career and his love for the club but again he just cannot read the room. Must’ve learnt this method from his current forward coach who like Tex was delusional and wanted to play on (remember when Ben Hart tried to get picked up by Brisbane after 15 seasons), he should not be giving the club an ultimatum especially after everything he’s said previously about players leaving as it’s hypocritical.

As you see with so many athletes he just can’t accept it’s over. The club is stupid for giving him a deal to 2021 but it’s amazing how the $$$ he accused Lever of putting in front of everything is the same reason that seemingly now influences his love for the club he’s always preached, he should just work out a deal and keep his legacy.

I think his teachers here are guys like Thompson whos public pressure forced the club to keep playing him long after he was cooked.

Knowing how Riccuito and the other incompetents protect their bad decisions I don't expect Walker to be payed out even though he will likely finish his career at Elizabeth and Unley oval playing in front of 500 people. Might even get a senior game once or twice so they don't look like the complete idiots they are. Anyone can see his is finished. Grow some balls AFC and for once just act like a decent club and do what needs to be done.

He will play the majority of next year in the senior side regardless of form, even if it keeps a guy like Fog out for most of the season.

He will play the majority of next year in the senior side regardless of form, even if it keeps a guy like Fog out for most of the season.
My hope is that there is a new chairman shortly that sorts out all this s**t. This is likely why Chapman is delaying his departure for as long as possible to ensure certain decisions are too late to be made for next year. Regardless of that Walker can be retired early next year once the new chairman is in. It's obvious Riccuito is the one that will make sure Walker plays next year even in the reserves. Disagree that Walker will play in the seniors next year. Feel he will get some games but will likely be told he is backup. If Walker's ego doesn't like that he may well retire on his own accord.

My hope is that there is a new chairman shortly that sorts out all this sh*t. This is likely why Chapman is delaying his departure for as long as possible to ensure certain decisions are too late to be made for next year. Regardless of that Walker can be retired early next year once the new chairman is in. It's obvious Riccuito is the one that will make sure Walker plays next year even in the reserves. Disagree that Walker will play in the seniors next year. Feel he will get some games but will likely be told he is backup. If Walker's ego doesn't like that he may well retire on his own accord.

Well no, the chairman of the board shouldn't be involved in the decisions of if a player is forced into retirement or not. Now we know Chapman is but it means with his replacement that either 1)he'll be in the Chappy mold willing to but in where he shouldn't or 2)he'll be a proper chairmen who keeps out of the day to day.

Now you may go 'well if its #2 then great. But the problem is if it's number 2, who gets to make the decision? All the guys that have been hand picked by Chapman because they do things his way, Roo, Fagan, Nicks etc.

So regardless of what happens with chairman we'll be stuck with Tex.

Well no, the chairman of the board shouldn't be involved in the decisions of if a player is forced into retirement or not. Now we know Chapman is but it means with his replacement that either 1)he'll be in the Chappy mold willing to but in where he shouldn't or 2)he'll be a proper chairmen who keeps out of the day to day.

Now you may go 'well if its #2 then great. But the problem is if it's number 2, who gets to make the decision? All the guys that have been hand picked by Chapman because they do things his way, Roo, Fagan, Nicks etc.

So regardless of what happens with chairman we'll be stuck with Tex.
A decent chairman (if we ever find one) would quickly know who the problems are at the club. My hope is that the chairman will sweep the whole SLT out. Riccuito, Fagan, Reid for starters. This would ensure decisions going forward are not tied to previous decisions and actions to protect those decisions. A chairman shouldn't be involved in day to day running but they also don't need to once they appoint competent people to run the club. A new chairman is the only one with the authority to fix what needs to occur. If the AFL needs to be involved to tell the board to shut up or all of them will be tipped out so be it. They all need to go anyway so it would be a good opportunity to get rid of them all. We need a competent person with total authority that can implement change. Jeff Kennett would be perfect as he takes no s**t and wouldn't care less about the self interest of those on the board. Notably Riccuito. The time for factions needs to come to an end.

Last edited:
A decent chairman (if we ever find one) would quickly know who the problems are at the club. My hope is that the chairman will sweep the whole SLT out. Riccuito, Fagan, Reid for starters. This would ensure decisions going forward are not tied to previous decisions and actions to protect those decisions. A chairman shouldn't be involved in day to day running but they also don't need to once they appoint competent people to run the club. A new chairman is the only one with the authority to fix what needs to occur. If the AFL needs to be involved to tell the board to shut up or all of them will be tipped out so be it. We need a competent person with total authority that knows what needs to be done. The time for factions needs to come to an end.

I want a clean out too, but it'd take time because you have to do it one bit at a time.

First you have to replace Fagan because he's the CEO. Then after Fagans replacement is installed you can go after Ricciuto and get him removed as director of football. Once Ricciuto is removed you can look at the next person down the heirachy.

But each of those steps is going to take you months at a minimum, likely at least 6 months. Identification of candidates, thorough vetting process, contract negotiations, notice periods etc.

I want a clean out too, but it'd take time because you have to do it one bit at a time.

First you have to replace Fagan because he's the CEO. Then after Fagans replacement is installed you can go after Ricciuto and get him removed as director of football. Once Ricciuto is removed you can look at the next person down the heirachy.

But each of those steps is going to take you months at a minimum, likely at least 6 months. Identification of candidates, thorough vetting process, contract negotiations, notice periods etc.
This is why I have been saying we need the Afl's help. They will help us with a topline CEO. If they want to they could move Mark Evans from Gold Coast to AFC at the stroke of a pen. They could also help with a chairman and football director. They will fast track the whole process. If left to the club we will be sitting in this position in 5 years. None of us want that especially the AFL.

Don't like this logic. If Fagan goes first, who appoints his successor......

0a0c1c79a450c2760a8c292a37fbb0ea.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Tex too heavy for a 193cm forward?

193cm and 100kgs. I had a look through the AFL and the only players with similar height to weight ratio are Steven May 193cm and 100kg, Griffin Logue 193cm and 101kg, Lynden Dunn 192cm and 102kg, Noah Balta 194cm and 100kg. Most 100kg players are 195cm or taller.

This is what surprises me. Why is he doing this, why haven't these conversations already taken place. Tex should already know 100% what the club's intentions are seeing as it was always going to come up around his 200thband as the season conclusion nears. It's like Dougie being retired by us without telling us he was hopeful of playing on elsewhere. How hard is it to plan for this and get ahead of the game?
It's ridiculous.

Although that said, I've worked in businesses where there is no planning like this for employees, so I can see how it happens.
It's still s**t though.

193cm and 100kgs. I had a look through the AFL and the only players with similar height to weight ratio are Steven May 193cm and 100kg, Griffin Logue 193cm and 101kg, Lynden Dunn 192cm and 102kg, Noah Balta 194cm and 100kg. Most 100kg players are 195cm or taller.
What was that year he was really huge? He kept getting suspended for rag dolling people in tackles or running through them.
The fend offs were amazing though.

What was that year he was really huge? He kept getting suspended for rag dolling people in tackles or running through them.
The fend offs were amazing though.

Thats his current listed weight on footywire, not sure how accurate / inaccurate it is. Some websites say 98kg, some say 102kg. 102kg would make him the equal heaviest current AFL player 193cm or shorter

It might not be that he is too heavy but that pic Cornes put up of him was really telling in my book. There he was at the start of the season and he wasn't lean, he was carrying kilos of fat and that just is not good enough. That is on him, that is on the club, he shouldn't present like that and if he does, the club should be strong enough to say "you're in the 2s until you get fit and lean. It sets the example for all the players when the biggest name in the club gets put in their place.

Given that though, 95kgs should be his weight and it should have been his non negotiable in pre season...no beer, no curries, no Maccas, eat lean and get lean

It might not be that he is too heavy but that pic Cornes put up of him was really telling in my book. There he was at the start of the season and he wasn't lean, he was carrying kilos of fat and that just is not good enough. That is on him, that is on the club, he shouldn't present like that and if he does, the club should be strong enough to say "you're in the 2s until you get fit and lean. It sets the example for all the players when the biggest name in the club gets put in their place.

Given that though, 95kgs should be his weight and it should have been his non negotiable in pre season...no beer, no curries, no Maccas, eat lean and get lean
That photo was a joke photo that Tex put up himself posing to make himself look as unfit as possible.

I think this all needs to all needs to call down a bit, how is any key forward in our team this season supposed to perform. reckon he goes around again.
Exactly right, would be looking a lot better in a side that can kick it to his advantage. Heck, a 50/50 contest wouldn't be so bad compared to what our key forwards mostly get.

That photo was a joke photo that Tex put up himself posing to make himself look as unfit as possible.

I hate the media sneering at the comparison between that photo of Tex and Chad Cornes & Dixon looking ripped - but the truth hurts. He wasn’t fit enough and still isn’t.

Fogarty has been dropped on the back of efforts identical to Tex, and Tex is supposed to be a leader.

We’ve been saying ‘if Tex can trim down and get fit, he’ll be fine’ for nearly three years now; it’s just not happening.

Yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back