News Dermott Brereton taps Tex on the shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

lets all face it his body is cooked, I think he deserves respect with the career he has managed to have since doing his ACL in 2013. I mean from 2015-17 he was among the best players in the competition kicking 160 goals over those 3 seasons. Lets not forget his 2012 season especially his finals series, it is a shame he did his ACL in 2013 because i think he would have been even better than what he has been. In the end he has been at the club for 12 years and you could never deny his love for the club and the passion he has for making it a better club.

Got nothing to do with the multiple players hanging off him I suppose? :rolleyes:
A forward needs to deal with some attention. If you’re too slow to break free you are not good enough.

I heard a couple of things on the weekend that came directly from some coaches at the AFC.
One of those was that Tex 100% knows this is his last year. He's trying to get through the year and will then bow out.
That wouldn't surprise me, he was tossing up about playing this year by all reports.

I heard a couple of things on the weekend that came directly from some coaches at the AFC.
One of those was that Tex 100% knows this is his last year. He's trying to get through the year and will then bow out.

why not do the pods or Otto thing and bow out from selection mid season and give Fogarty more opportunity in that role and Davis gets the games or another kid. He's not helping anyone trying to get to the end of the year. Problem is, can't retire on 200, lest it looks undeserved. Team first sees him go now, but we know it's not our senior player's culture. It'll be Tex first, we know that.

Anyone who has to ask why he deserves to get to 200 and what has he done for the club isn't a real Crows supporter nor have they been following his career.

Bled for this club quite literally when our coach was murdered this man carried us to a minor premiership and almost premiership.
A lesser man could've seen us hit rock bottom years ago.

lets all face it his body is cooked, I think he deserves respect with the career he has managed to have since doing his ACL in 2013. I mean from 2015-17 he was among the best players in the competition kicking 160 goals over those 3 seasons. Lets not forget his 2012 season especially his finals series, it is a shame he did his ACL in 2013 because i think he would have been even better than what he has been. In the end he has been at the club for 12 years and you could never deny his love for the club and the passion he has for making it a better club.

That ACL really hurt his ability to jump and turn, this is the point in our club where we can establish ourselves as a functioning, caring, people oriented football club OR a cold, boring corporation "franchise" club where players are spat out.

We give Tex a heartwarming send off and it sews the fabric of a real football club that nobody wants to leave.

Ditto Mackay
Ditto Lynch
Ditto Sloane

Anyone who has to ask why he deserves to get to 200 and what has he done for the club isn't a real Crows supporter nor have they been following his career.

Bled for this club quite literally when our coach was murdered this man carried us to a minor premiership and almost premiership.
A lesser man could've seen us hit rock bottom years ago.

Gee a lot of people have been cashing in on the Walsh murder. Chappy, Campo, Fagan all credited similarly. Tex has been a key driver of a splintered playing group. Like it ir not, we're where we're at in no small part because of his failings. And you can't credit him with everything we did good after Walsh's murder, that's incredibly dumb thinking.

Pretty confident he is bowing out at the end of the year.

Never has been an athletic player, but he's obviously on his last legs.

Still capable imo but our game plan of bombing to our forwards disadvantaged with 3 against 1 is clearly not suited to him (or nearly every forward to ever exist). Happy to play him for most games for the rest of the year.

Gee a lot of people have been cashing in on the Walsh murder. Chappy, Campo, Fagan all credited similarly. Tex has been a key driver of a splintered playing group. Like it ir not, we're where we're at in no small part because of his failings. And you can't credit him with everything we did good after Walsh's murder, that's incredibly dumb thinking.
It's incredibly dumb to think he didn't play a huge role in getting us up after it happened and on towards a minor premiership.
Fagan, Chapman and Campo could've been the best at their roles and it wouldn't have made a difference if we had a captain incapable of getting the players to focus on the task at hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you can discredit him without actually knowing what's going on why not credit him?

He's the only player on our list I would consider gifting 200 games to

Prior to the complete unravelling of our culture and the talk surrounding senior cliques, I would agree. Not now though and probably not ever. I think gifting multiple games to teach milestones is counterproductive to high performance culture. The sole exception is for a single farewell game in an otherwise meaningless encounter for club greats. Thommo in 2017 was a perfect example if he'd accepted he was done and had announced his retirement prior to that game. Could have been carried off in front of a massive and deserved ovation. I get that, I don't get being gifted multiple undeserved games to reach a personally meaningful number.

That ACL really hurt his ability to jump and turn, this is the point in our club where we can establish ourselves as a functioning, caring, people oriented football club OR a cold, boring corporation "franchise" club where players are spat out.

We give Tex a heartwarming send off and it sews the fabric of a real football club that nobody wants to leave.

Ditto Mackay
Ditto Lynch
Ditto Sloane

But that's exactly what we've been doing the last few years. And yet here we are.

It's incredibly dumb to think he didn't play a huge role in getting us up after it happened and on towards a minor premiership.
Fagan, Chapman and Campo could've been the best at their roles and it wouldn't have made a difference if we had a captain incapable of getting the players to focus on the task at hand.

Sure, it was all Tex. Just Tex. Tex. It was a club effort, pure and simple, nobody that anyone outside the system could know was more important than anyone else. You don't know who was the most important in keeping the group focussed. You see Tex because he was the captain, it could have been Smith or Laird or Matt Crouch or Lynch or Talia. You've NFI who was the most important.

He is getting games I believe to get him to 200 games or breaking Modra's record and then I think he might pull the pin. The second part looks like it will take a while. He is the heart of our club and he would make a great assistant coach. We need him to replace Hart and sit boundary side during matches to pass info to players. His inspirational value is as good as it gets. The best captain in the AFL for 2 years shows that.

Wonder if he'd do a Tubby Taylor, get to Modra's tally then call it.

Something every single tall forward in the league has to deal with.
I never said they didn't. One of the reasons we haven't seen 100 goals in a season for a long time is because these poor bastards have three players hanging off them every week. Combine that for Tex with piss poor delivery from our midfield.. and you have the situation we have.

Interesting to see a couple of TV discussions about whether Walker should retire at the end of the season, Brad Johnson & Jordan Lewis on Fox were convinced he is at his use-by date now.

From memory, one of your posters said he is contracted till the end of next year, if that's right and he decides to go around again, it would be a disaster of the highest order. Added to that it would be somewhat self-centred & greedy too.

I can understand a player wanting to go on given the pay-packet but he is struggling out there right now and it would be in both parties best interest for him to pull the pin.

It will be fascinating to see how this one plays out, hopefully it is an amicable arrangement as he has been a very good servant of your club over his career.

If you can discredit him without actually knowing what's going on why not credit him?

He's only being discredited for what has been laid bare as the result of his leadership period. Crediting for a one off, completely unknowable event is madness. And even then, what's it got to do with gifting games against best practice in a high performance industry. A few years ago he might have done something good when something bad happened. Demeans the efforts of everyone else at that time, but is typical, any excuse to keep the cooked oldies going around. Just add it to experience, continuity, non-statistical et al.

Far and away our best forward this year, so going on form, he's the first picked up there

He's a key factor in our oppositions ability to clear our forward 50 with good, clean ball. He demands lots of our entries and provides little. The game he missed with injury, McAsey had more effective disposals than Tex season average from significantly less opportunity. First game ever as an AFL key forward. Tex has been playing injured for years and it's screwed him.

Interesting to see a couple of TV discussions about whether Walker should retire at the end of the season, Brad Johnson & Jordan Lewis on Fox were convinced he is at his use-by date now.

From memory, one of your posters said he is contracted till the end of next year, if that's right and he decides to go around again, it would be a disaster of the highest order. Added to that it would be somewhat self-centred & greedy too.

I can understand a player wanting to go on given the pay-packet but he is struggling out there right now and it would be in both parties best interest for him to pull the pin.

It will be fascinating to see how this one plays out, hopefully it is an amicable arrangement as he has been a very good servant of your club over his career.
Has a year left. Mentioned he was considering retiring during the preseason. I doubt he’ll go around again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back