Dermott Brereton

Remove this Banner Ad

boomer37

Debutant
Oct 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Is is just me or has ol' Dermie become unbearable too listen commentate on football ?

Two things that annoy the heck out of me;

1. Takes him 3 minutes to explain something and by the time he's finished i can't even remember what the hell he started talking about. Dribble !

2. His Cyril coloured glasses he wears, stop talking about him all the time. The fact you think he is another level above Chad Wingard demonstrates what a crap commentator you are. I would take Wingard over Cyril everyday !

Rant over.

Is is just me or has ol' Dermie become unbearable too listen commentate on football ?

1. Takes him 3 minutes to explain something and by the time he's finished i can't even remember what the hell he started talking about. Dribble !

2. His Cyril coloured glasses he wears, stop talking about him all the time. The fact you think he is another level above Chad Wingard demonstrates what a crap commentator you are. I would take Wingard over Cyril everyday !

Rant over.

It's the same when asking questions. He waffles on until even he almost forgets what he was trying to ask. Like it's more about him wanting to make a statement than actually getting an answer from the guest.

He seems knowledgable enough for a special comments guy, but he is beginning to annoy me with his patronising attitude towards poor teams or young players. Sounds like he is coaching an under 10's side.

He's got the knowledge, he just finds it increasingly difficult to express it in a coherent way. There's a touch of Robbo about Dermott sometimes.
Quite true, except that only the latter has any knowledge worth expressing, as frustrating as it is for him to get to the point.

It's fun to guess every week who he has money on.

The Eagles vs Collingwood game it was clear as day about half way through the 3rd he had loaded up on the Eagles at the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

image.jpg I agree with most people on here. But i will also tell you this. He coaches his son's u/16 footy team and does know how to coach. Dermie is a guy that is a bit of a colourful bloke. Doesn't care if he gets hit in the nuts by tony shaw. Brings his daughter's cat in who seemed to be a bit scared.
Does swear under his breath! Can make controversial comments about people.

But is a thinker of the game.

Not bad coming from a shy kid all those years ago.

I actually saw an instagram pic just earlier on GWS Giants feed of Dermie as the forward line coach. Not a bad pic.

Last edited:
I agree with most people on here. But i will also tell you this. He coaches his son's u/16 footy team and does know how to coach. Dermie is a guy that is a bit of a colourful bloke. Doesn't care if he gets hit in the nuts by tony shaw. Brings his daughter's cat in who seemed to be a bit scared.
Does swear under his breath! Can make controversial comments about people.

But is a thinker of the game.

Not bad coming from a shy kid all those years ago.

I actually saw an instagram pic just earlier on GWS Giants feed of Dermie as the forward line coach. Not a bad pic.

He's a s**t thinker of the game who knows little about the modern game, regularly gets things wrong and knows nothing about interstate teams and players. He's a moron.

he can be insightful but the games passing him by, he knows next to nothing about any team thats not based within 90km's of the MCG. his increased waffling this season makes me think that he might have some form of early alzheimer's, its almost like he forgets what he's raving about mid sentence.

I gotta say.... one thing that bugs is that at the end of EVERY interview he's part of, he just HAS to say the guest's nickname, perhaps to let us know that he's best mates with everyone in footy. :p
"Thanks, Gomez". "See ya, Del." "Thanks, Chip"
I think that's just you that finds that annoying.

At least he doesn't swear at them like what Eddie Maguire did

Rant over.

I love how when he was challenged about the Cyril & Wingard comparison his analytical response was repeating "yeah but it's Cyril" about 3 times. It was like midway through last year when he was banging on about St Kilda needing to re-sign Scott Watters asap as there would be 10 other clubs in the league looking at him if they didn't. Everyone in the SEN box disagreed and were like "are you for real" but he kept on about Watters being the best mind he had ever met in footy. His bias overshadows reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back