Design a Jumper Competition: 17th Team - Gold Coast **See Now Version 2**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Design a Jumper Competition: 17th Team - Gold Coast

btw, i read somewhere that the Lions are abandoning their white clash top and going for a yellow one. can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Cos if it is true, that would just make it even worse for confusing brands, and actual games between the two clubs.

I'm not sure. But if GC wear a yellow guernsey, brisbane would always wear home. It would be home vs home guernseys. Which is always good.

Gladiators imo is a bit too similar to the titans. I also think that red blue yellow, depending on the shading, should be different enough to Adelaide, and Brisbane have maroon and I am guessing again that the blue shading will be different enough for their not to be a problem.

good point about titans.
all i can offer is that titans and warriors and knights in the nrl arent any more a brand clash than having tigers lions panthers or crows magpies eagles hawks falcons, which you see a lot in many leagues.

also, titans is more a reference to the sky scrapers. like the gold coast giants rl club originally had too.

id think it would be ok for titans and gladiators to exist. would anyone complain about dolphins and sharks? so it shouldnt be a problem imo.

also those colors are awesome....gold red black.

I'm not sure. But if GC wear a yellow guernsey, brisbane would always wear home. It would be home vs home guernseys. Which is always good.

True about on-field games.
Tho it would still be a merchandising problem....stores littered with yellow lions clash tops and yellow GC home tops.

Brand distinction.

True about on-field games.
Tho it would still be a merchandising problem....stores littered with yellow lions clash tops and yellow GC home tops.

Brand distinction.

I don't think that's a big issue, it's just a clash guernsey, all other merchandising would be maroon. You would see a sea of maroon, verse a sea of yellow. If they go predominately yellow, red shorts, it would be more than enough to differentiate between the clubs. Too much blue and it wont be.

I do find it funny, there are 3 current teams with 3 colour combinations (excluding shades)

Fremantle,
Brisbane,
Adelaide,
and soon the be Gold Coast at number 4.

3 of those four, have red, blue and yellow, just different shades. Surely there's other three colour combos that look good for the Gold Coast to have?

good point about titans.
all i can offer is that titans and warriors and knights in the nrl arent any more a brand clash than having tigers lions panthers or crows magpies eagles hawks falcons, which you see a lot in many leagues.

also, titans is more a reference to the sky scrapers. like the gold coast giants rl club originally had too.

id think it would be ok for titans and gladiators to exist. would anyone complain about dolphins and sharks? so it shouldnt be a problem imo.

also those colors are awesome....gold red black.

Titans logo:

QNRL-TITm.jpg

Isnt their mascot a anchor?

Their design is an anchor. A docker is someone who works on docks, a wharfie.

Fremantle-logo-1997.gif

The anchor is their symbol, their mascot is the whole guy. Saints 'mascot' is also a guy.

InCase...

agree with the comment "surely there's other color combinations". Why they dropped the ball big time in selecting yellow/red/blue. I've never seen a more bone-head choice. If they wanted to, also, they could make it gold/green/black Gladiators, for instance. Replacing the red parts in that Gladiator logo i showed with green, for example.

Green and black make a good combination too and you dont see it used too often. There are several hues of green too that could be used, lime, dull, rich or forest.

InCase...

Why they dropped the ball big time in selecting yellow/red/blue.

But you said Hawthorn's jumper was the most standout jumper in the AFL .
I agree except the brown is ugly. The most brilliant jumper I have seen is a yellow and red affair .It has to be mostly yellow with a little red with less blue and white.

P.S. IMO your other suggestion is terrible .How about getting off the "what looks good in the USA" road . I like the fact that Australian Football jumpers are different and don't try and emmulate any other code .The best jumpers are deffinately by AR clubs overseas that aren't just adopting standard AFL .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you said Hawthorn's jumper was the most standout jumper in the AFL .
I agree except the brown is ugly. The most brilliant jumper I have seen is a yellow and red affair .It has to be mostly yellow with a little red with less blue and white.

You just basically agreed with me here. Hawthorn's stands out the most. I think the all yellow practice match top is a good starting point, but yellow is not a good color, and AFL wants dark colors for home tops...so the yellow would need to go dull gold then.

P.S. IMO your other suggestion is terrible .How about getting off the "what looks good in the USA" road . I like the fact that Australian Football jumpers are different and don't try and emmulate any other code .The best jumpers are deffinately by AR clubs overseas that aren't just adopting standard AFL .

I agree that some of the best concept designs are unique...like the Golden Gate Sash jumper for the Bay Area AR team. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "what looks good in the USA" road??? I havent said that anywhere in relation to GC17's jumper.

You just basically agreed with me here. Hawthorn's stands out the most. I think the all yellow practice match top is a good starting point, but yellow is not a good color, and AFL wants dark colors for home tops...so the yellow would need to go dull gold then.
to me the hawthorn jumper stands out because yellow and brown is ugly and no one else wants to choose anything like it whether you like it or not you do have to remember that standing out doesn't have to mean looking ridiculous/ugly. oh and gg the afl has a dark/light uniforms policy (even though they tend not to use it half the time) but that doesnt necessarily mean home must be dark and away must be light. e.g. geelong, north melbourne. also, who knows with the afl?

I agree that some of the best concept designs are unique...like the Golden Gate Sash jumper for the Bay Area AR team. I'm not sure what you're talking about with the "what looks good in the USA" road??? I havent said that anywhere in relation to GC17's jumper.
my guess is hes referring to saying gold/black/white are used by the saints and the wizards along a few other examples of taking american sports design for inspiration.

LeeARM...

By hawthorn standing out, I meant more about their main color. Not the brown part of it really. So, GC with a very New Orleans gold, would also stand out, especially with so many teams wearing predominantly dark blue or black type looks. Same goes with NFL, where imo the Broncos orange of the 80's was great and stood out, but these days every team is basically dark blue or black.

As for possibly what he meant by the "USA" thing....I dont think gold/black/white is American as such or should be construed as an attempt to Americanize anything. It's just a good color combo that doesnt exist here yet, if a team were to choose something unique. And I also suggested green/black as a combo that's not often used either. And in the "Create an AFL guernsey" thread, I proposed dark pink as a color that is also not used often enough. That's all we're all doing here in this thread, trying to think up of things to unique-ify GC17.

That's all we're all doing here in this thread, trying to think up of things to unique-ify GC17.

yep, that's why i think the team needs gold, or maybe orange. people were thinking the colours were gonna be blue, white and orange because of the old website colours. although due to recent posts i've realised that that's basically the colours used by the blaze.

still, gold or orange seem to be the best unique colours for GCFC

And it's not too late to alter yellow to gold either. Like, if we HAVE left it a little too late and the club has already decided on stuff, so black/white/gold is out, or black/gold/red is out, etc, at least they could still go from yellow/red or yellow/maroon (with a touch of blue) instead to gold/red with a touch of blue.

And it's not too late to alter yellow to gold either. Like, if we HAVE left it a little too late and the club has already decided on stuff, so black/white/gold is out, or black/gold/red is out, etc, at least they could still go from yellow/red or yellow/maroon (with a touch of blue) instead to gold/red with a touch of blue.

gold and red makes me think of a wine label for some reason
i'd go gold/blue(sand and sea/sky) with a touch of red

This is the most sensible thing to come out of all of this so far. I reckon GG that we might end up with something predominantly yellow, with red and (I hope, light) blue.

Thats what the lions wear for their away strip and even the Brisbane home strip will clash. Regardless what shade of blue there will still be a clash when both teams play each other. I can't seem to ram that home to you can I. Did you see the comparison picture's I posted before?

What we are saying Ghostdog is why on earth do they have to choose the same basic colours as the crows and Brisbane?

Why tow the line like the NRL Titans and NBL Blaze. Step out of line and hang your Kahuna's out there GC17........Please!

If the Titans wore Orange and Aqua, you would probably say GC17 should have the same colours because thats the Coastal Colours hey!:mad:

Who cares if they live on the sunshine coast, doesn't mean they have to wear tropical surfy colours. And of course the next sydney side will wear a predominantly light blue because the Swans wear a flashy red and they oppose each other really well for a derby. Brisbane wear the QLD colours Maroon and yellow so it only makes sense to have some NSW colours represent the new side. Up until this Titans side came in a couple of years ago I never recognised GC with those colours and still don't. State's, yes have colours to which they represent but hardly Cities I would say.

Just picture 80,000 at ANZ for a sydney derby with one team in blood red and the other in sky blue, then picture a SEQ Derby with both teams wearing basically the same colours.

All your arguing is Predominantly red or Predominantly blue or Predominantly yellow will cause less confusion but it wont because the other two colours will be there and it will look silly when the crowd mingles in the same colours for a rivalry.

If anything they have to drop the blue all together to avoid total embarassment. Red, Yellow and (light) blue don't MIX well for a new AFL franchise. It's like introducing the old Fitzroy or the SA crow-eaters.

And if you have'nt noticed their website lately the royal blue is very evident. So that's pretty much the same as brisbane now and they have'nt incorporated your Coastal colour theme at all.

I don't think that's a big issue, it's just a clash guernsey, all other merchandising would be maroon. You would see a sea of maroon, verse a sea of yellow. If they go predominately yellow, red shorts, it would be more than enough to differentiate between the clubs. Too much blue and it wont be.

I do find it funny, there are 3 current teams with 3 colour combinations (excluding shades)

Fremantle,
Brisbane,
Adelaide,
and soon the be Gold Coast at number 4.

3 of those four, have red, blue and yellow, just different shades. Surely there's other three colour combos that look good for the Gold Coast to have?

Which makes GC17's decision all the more insane.

You don't want to get too busy with the colour scheme though. IMO Adelaide has the best. Brisbane had an Awesome jumper when they were just the bears. The blue has ruined that for me sadly.

gold and red makes me think of a wine label for some reason
i'd go gold/blue(sand and sea/sky) with a touch of red

seems they're using yellow and red as dominant with blue being minor touches. but that doctored photo i did, you could replace the black in it with red, and then add another inside blue all the way around, very thin, and it might be ok, not sure.

i totally agree with you jackmac7. even if they had predominantly yellow or red, they're still the same color combo as lions---red, yellow, blue....even if the shades are lighter and darker blue, or lighter and darker red. it doesnt matter. it's brand clash, crowd clash, and just bone-headed thinking.

ideally, they should have three or two distinct colors. imagine, for instance....

lions--maroon/yellow/blue vs goldcoast---green/black or gold/green/black.

that's the kind of brand distinction needed to stand out from----local rivals (lions), regional codes (titans, blaze), and other AFL teams.

i just hope GC17 and the AFL havent firmly committed to the yellow/red/blue. but im not hopeful really given Gazza exists and the logo and website, all yellow,red, blue. one can only say the grand revealing of the clubs uniform is gonna be met with a big rolling of the eyes.

i try experimenting with yellow jumpers, gold(hawthorn yellow) makes it look like ronald mcdonalds outfit and bright yellow just looks bad.

GCFC56.gif

this is the best i've got so far with this design. i can keep trying with other designs but i don't think yellow is a good main colour.

If they're set on yellow/red/blue there's not much wriggle room to tweak the guernsey to look different but also kick-ass.

It's probably pointless trying other color combos if they're set on yellow/red/blue.

I'll try tweaking the doctored photo to have a red border instead of black, but gold instead of fluro yellow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back