Workshop Design a new Richmond logo

Costa fc

Debutant
Jan 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I had a go at a new logo for the Tiges.. something based on the classic rampaging tiger logo of the 70s and 80s. The current severed head logo to me feels a little static and subdued. This I hope has a little more life to it... a sharp contemporary logo that stays true to the traditions of what should be a proud footy club.

With the club working hard to turn over a new leaf and start rebuilding its base I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas for a new logo that can symbolise this new era?

richmond-tigers-new-logo-afl-football-4.jpg

More:
http://www.costasportslogos.com/content/richmond-tigers-new-logo-afl

kolja51

Debutant
Oct 20, 2005
Manama, Bahrain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hajduk Split, Crystal Palace
Re: Richmond updated logo

good job costa. Great job on the shield, looks good. It's an update but I would do some tweaking. The tiger is to complicated, as it is the current one. Imagine taking that logo for the size of a pin, would not be able to reproduce it at that size. You tried to simplify it with taking a lot of white area out of the tiger, but I would take that white are back and simplify in directions of CFL team Tigercats:
before:
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/8/94/full/2334.gif
after:
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/8/94/full/2327.gif
Also, there's no need for two yellows, it doesn't do anything for me, as well as gradient. Avoid gradient in logos. If you wanted to portray depth with gradient it won't work with yellow sash. Also words yellow and black are redundant as it's obvious that they are yellow and black. I would rather write down - football club as it's not visible with anything in the logo that it's football club.

But all in all great start.:thumbsu:

HSSB

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics - GWS Giants

good job costa. Great job on the shield, looks good. It's an update but I would do some tweaking. The tiger is to complicated, as it is the current one. Imagine taking that logo for the size of a pin, would not be able to reproduce it at that size. You tried to simplify it with taking a lot of white area out of the tiger, but I would take that white are back and simplify in directions of CFL team Tigercats:
before:
after:
Also, there's no need for two yellows, it doesn't do anything for me, as well as gradient. Avoid gradient in logos. If you wanted to portray depth with gradient it won't work with yellow sash. Also words yellow and black are redundant as it's obvious that they are yellow and black. I would rather write down - football club as it's not visible with anything in the logo that it's football club.

Steal my pic much mate :p

Costa fc

Debutant
Jan 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

before:
after:

Cheers Kolja, thanks for the constructive ideas.:)

I think you're right, gradients probably should be avoided in smaller logos as a rule. But sometimes just a spot of soft light can help strengthen the focus of a design... I think this Tigers logo is clearer for having the gradient lift the tiger from the backdrop.

The only sports logo I can think of that employs gradients is the current Australian Cricket Board shield. Printing technology is such nowadays that any gradients in a logo will reproduce very well in most mediums. And if not, well you can use a gradient free version of the logo (as the ACB do when they want their shield embroidered for instance).

I like "Yellow and Black" as a stirring war cry... it has meaning because it's actually based on a living club tradition - kind of like Liverpool's 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. (Perhaps the addition of quotation marks would help identify it as a spoken phrase, strengthening the connection in people's minds with the line in Richmond's club song).

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS

The problem with the gradient for me is three-fold

1) It undermines Richmond's signature design - yellow and black is now yellow and grey and I don't instantly "see" Richmond's sash in what's there.
2) It's not consistent - the yellow should be graded to the same extent as the black or it looks awkward.
3) It's not consistent pt 2 - the gradient implies depth to the design yet the tiger (which is self-evidently meant to have depth) looks flat in comparison.

I'd focus on returning the background to pure black and finding an alternative way to make the tiger stand out.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction

I think the 'Tiger' looks unbelievable. The shield is fantastic and for a few seconds I thought it was our new logo.

I'm a bit iffy on the 'yellow and black' written on the bottom. Maybe something to do with our longlivity '1885'. Or something along those lines!

The grey in the background is also a bit iffy, looks generic, but the rest is quite fantastic. Great work!

Duvel

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2007
Wellington, New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wellington Hurricanes & Phoenix

Great Logo, but I agree, there is too much yellow, and not enough blackness. perhaps the background in the centre should have shiny blackness rather than grey.

And there is too much yellow around the edges, perhaps go for umm not sure how to describe it but like a rope around with two colours? Black and Yellow twisting to form a rope.

But nonetheless great effort.

aRT8t

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2010
Tigerland CQLD
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bachar Houligan FTW

Hello costa good stuff, we can alwys do with a new logo.

Takes our minds of all the other crud thats going on at TIGERLAND
YES I WENT THERE

Ingall

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2002
Tasmania
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Football Club

aRT8t

Cancelled
Apr 27, 2010
Tigerland CQLD
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bachar Houligan FTW

Looks like a version of the Glenelg logo.
By Ingall

Yes it's amazing it's like a mirror.

surely not you must need glasses or is it just because they are both Tigers.

Mowse

Team Captain
Aug 5, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knights

I like the headfirst tiger costa, nice work.
I like that it has a faint suggestion of the yellow sash on it chest:thumbsu:

Mowse

Team Captain
Aug 5, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knights

This is one I did a little while back. I've just altered the text to include the sash.

rfcconceptfin.jpg

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

This is one I did a little while back. I've just altered the text to include the sash.

rfcconceptfin.jpg
This is great.

I think most sports logos need a shield though. Even if the shield is used only sparingly (ala, on apparel), it makes the logo look a little tidier. But this is still fantastic. You have some talent.

workhorse

Premiership Player
Nov 13, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics

I had a go at a new logo for the Tiges.. something based on the classic rampaging tiger logo of the 70s and 80s. The current severed head logo to me feels a little static and subdued. This I hope has a little more life to it... a sharp contemporary logo that stays true to the traditions of what should be a proud footy club.

With the club working hard to turn over a new leaf and start rebuilding its base I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas for a new logo that can symbolise this new era?

richmond-tigers-new-logo-afl-football-4.jpg

More:
http://www.costasportslogos.com/content/richmond-tigers-new-logo-afl

Looks awesome Costa! Very similar to the Albury Tigers logo.
475093_1_S.jpg

jethro11

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newc Utd/Heart/RM92/Indians

Ha I was thinking about that just then workhorse.

Great work Costa :thumbsu:

Back