Workshop design a tasmania logo and jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

But we're not arguing with you mate, we're pointing out that the origin of the colour shade came from the Lions and not bears. The colour on the bears kit is clearly darker than what maroon actually is (likely due to dyes available). Every photo and video points to it being darker. If you line it up next to a Lions current jersey, there is a clear distinction between the bears kit colours and the classic Fitzroy kit which had maroon as a primary colour.

Also note fumbler actually owned one and found it to be a brown colour

As for you believing Fremantle is blue.. that's a whole other kettle of fish

It’s à dark shade of maroon and most people would call it brown.

Like Fremantle shade of purple most people call blue.

The teal of Port Adelaide people would call blue, maybe even green (depending on the lighting conditions).

Fitzroy dropped the maroon to red but called it light maroon.

If Fitzroy had more say in the merger then the jumper would have been red... err lighter maroon :p

Even looking at pictures of the different maroon jumpers of Fitzroy their shades seemed to change from year to year. Even looking at replays of Brisbane Lions over the years sometimes the maroon looks more purple, sometimes more brown and sometimes a bit more reddish.
I think it’s the way the sun reflects on the jumper or how close your TV can pick up colours correctly. A bit like Carlton and Geelong sometimes look black and white.

But yes they did look very like Hawthorn because their maroon might actually been closer related to brown or a colour expert stating it to be brown!!!!
But officially they never been brown as Fitzroy has never been red (although that was the color they changed to), as Fremantle has never been blue.

In a sense that Brisbane Bears was the only club thar could take the identity of Fitzroy and retain both club colours.
The traditional maroon of Fitzroy and Queensland. Both had Gold and both had white in their history. So in that sense it was perfect.

Adding blue made it look like Fitzroy though...

Last edited:
So here is combining the Bears, Fitzroy and Brisbane Lions maroon jumpers. Also a picture of true Maroon.

View attachment 1133500
View attachment 1133501
View attachment 1133518
View attachment 1133515
Brisbane Bears colours have always been maroon. But with the merger they used a more true maroon that was closer to Fitzroy old maroon.

In a recent poll here on BigFooty, the middle Fitzroy jumper of 1974 was voted as the greatest jumper of all time.
I personally did not like that they lightened it even further in 1975 destroying the essence of maroon.

Changed from Brown to Cerise because it was to close to Hawthorn.
I was a member of the Bears from the start, and i'll tell you that there was a heap of people that hated that colour from their release. As i recall the Brown was a tad darker than that, could of been due to a lot of factors but maybe Mero may have more details?
I think the Cerise was supposed to be maroon but due to the dying techniques back then it came out more pinkish.
The Vees was a total stuff up from the marketing department and was done to appeal to Victorians in the Queensland market.
The Lions guernsey is great but in no way reflects those that were original Brisbane fans and therefore is just a Lions supporters guernsey.

Rating those guernsey's from my own personal views i'd go
Cerise - The reverse would be top if it was there.
Lions
Brown
Vees.

Brisbane Bears on facey has some decent stuff on the Bears.
It was originally Queensland Maroon, which is really more a deep Burgundy.
This colour did, however, look like Brown from a distance.
1621609769900.png

It was originally Queensland Maroon, which is really more a deep Burgundy.
This colour did, however, look like Brown from a distance.
View attachment 1133848

I have looked everywhere for some old memorabilia but after having moved around so much I only have a photo that is blurry.

As I’ve said before I put it down to the old wooly jumpers not being able to be dyed properly and maybe fade or even the 📺 back then.
It was officially maroon but from what I’ve seen and remember it was almost brown.

How many people see a Hawthorn guernsey now from a distance iron 📺 and see Subiaco?

I have looked everywhere for some old memorabilia but after having moved around so much I only have a photo that is blurry.

As I’ve said before I put it down to the old wooly jumpers not being able to be dyed properly and maybe fade or even the 📺 back then.
It was officially maroon but from what I’ve seen and remember it was almost brown.

How many people see a Hawthorn guernsey now from a distance iron 📺 and see Subiaco?

Hawthorn’s brown is so dark these days that it can be mistaken for black..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back