Workshop design a tasmania logo and jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

If they can't use state colours, they should adopt Seahawks colours
images

Sure mate.

Why didn’t you mention Carlton?
Because it is not comparable in the sense that Carlton weren’t an expansion side made to represent a state in a national competition.

Do you really think Brisbane’s primary colour being Maroon has nothing to do with it being a QLD state colour?

So why should Tasmania not be able to wear its state colours when there is a precedent of being able to do so.

Because it is not comparable in the sense that Carlton weren’t an expansion side made to represent a state in a national competition.

Do you really think Brisbane’s primary colour being Maroon has nothing to do with it being a QLD state colour?

So why should Tasmania not be able to wear its state colours when there is a precedent of being able to do so.
Originally Brisbane had brown and gold as their colours though, the change to maroon happened only after they merged and theoretically maroon was a classic fitzroy colour

Originally Brisbane had brown and gold as their colours though, the change to maroon happened only after they merged and theoretically maroon was a classic fitzroy colour

Show us a Brisbane Bears brown and gold jumper.

I remember they started as gold and maroon. Sometimes gold and pink. Then before the merger maroon, gold and white. The maroon might have been a bit lighter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Show us a Brisbane Bears brown and gold jumper.

I remember they started as gold and maroon. Sometimes gold and pink. Then before the merger maroon, gold and white. The maroon might have been a bit lighter?
1621548263255.png

They started with brown, then went to cerise,
1621548410632.png
they then went almost a darker red (not quite maroon) with the gold and white V,

1621548348749.png

Then the classic

1621548383536.png

View attachment 1132998

View attachment 1133003
they then went almost a darker red (not quite maroon) with the gold and white V,

View attachment 1133001

Then the classic

View attachment 1133002

Changed from Brown to Cerise because it was to close to Hawthorn.
I was a member of the Bears from the start, and i'll tell you that there was a heap of people that hated that colour from their release. As i recall the Brown was a tad darker than that, could of been due to a lot of factors but maybe Mero may have more details?
I think the Cerise was supposed to be maroon but due to the dying techniques back then it came out more pinkish.
The Vees was a total stuff up from the marketing department and was done to appeal to Victorians in the Queensland market.
The Lions guernsey is great but in no way reflects those that were original Brisbane fans and therefore is just a Lions supporters guernsey.

Rating those guernsey's from my own personal views i'd go
Cerise - The reverse would be top if it was there.
Lions
Brown
Vees.

Brisbane Bears on facey has some decent stuff on the Bears.

Changed from Brown to Cerise because it was to close to Hawthorn.
I was a member of the Bears from the start, and i'll tell you that there was a heap of people that hated that colour from their release. As i recall the Brown was a tad darker than that, could of been due to a lot of factors but maybe Mero may have more details?
I think the Cerise was supposed to be maroon but due to the dying techniques back then it came out more pinkish.
The Vees was a total stuff up from the marketing department and was done to appeal to Victorians in the Queensland market.
The Lions guernsey is great but in no way reflects those that were original Brisbane fans and therefore is just a Lions supporters guernsey.

Rating those guernsey's from my own personal views i'd go
Cerise - The reverse would be top if it was there.
Lions
Brown
Vees.

Brisbane Bears on facey has some decent stuff on the Bears.
Yeah i was much too young to remember the original kit, but i met craig starcevich and shaun hart at school and joined auskick and the first jersey i actually remembered was the V, which i think is pretty iconic anyway. I've stated before i would love to see the cerise kit played in QClashes at metricon, and the V at the Gabba, but lord knows if that will ever happen.

And the reverse cerise was the away kit i think, which was neat but after we dropped it i don't think we had an away kit for many years

Yeah i was much too young to remember the original kit, but i met craig starcevich and shaun hart at school and joined auskick and the first jersey i actually remembered was the V, which i think is pretty iconic anyway. I've stated before i would love to see the cerise kit played in QClashes at metricon, and the V at the Gabba, but lord knows if that will ever happen.

And the reverse cerise was the away kit i think, which was neat but after we dropped it i don't think we had an away kit for many years

Ohh you missed an epic guernsey in that reverse cerise, i think they wore it at Carrara once against Hawthorn, best.

I've been actually trying to hunt down a copy of the heritage cerise, but can't justify insane costs to myself lol

I haven't seen one sine 1998 hanging on my wall that i sold for $100 when we moved. :cryv1:

Has the Lions got a Bears thread?

The Bears never wore Brown. Possibly the darker look in those original years was also due to dyeing techniques of the time, I'm not too sure.

Here in this video, released during '87, shows the launch of the club and clearly the Maroon and Gold. And a little further in the video at 17:44 is footage from their first practice match against Hawthorn, you can even see the difference between the darker Maroon and Brown.

Last edited:
View attachment 1132998

View attachment 1133003

View attachment 1133001

Then the classic

View attachment 1133002

I think the first one is still maroon (a dark version). Brown and maroon are very similar and different shades can be mistaken, just as blue and purple.

Don’t think a new club would have chosen the same colours as Hawthorn.

Here is a citation from Brisbane Bears Wikipedia page:

‘unveiling a playing strip consisting of a gold with a maroon yoke and a triangular "BB" logo intended to represent a stylised map of the club's home state, Queensland, with the outline of a koalahead appearing inside of the larger B.’

I think the first one is still maroon (a dark version). Brown and maroon are very similar and different shades can be mistaken, just as blue and purple.

Don’t think a new club would have chosen the same colours as Hawthorn.

Here is a citation from Brisbane Bears Wikipedia page:

‘unveiling a playing strip consisting of a gold with a maroon yoke and a triangular "BB" logo intended to represent a stylised map of the club's home state, Queensland, with the outline of a koalahead appearing inside of the larger B.’
Refer to the response by Fumbler, the colour was so dark it was essentially brown and looked brown in a broadcast, maroon (like in QLD State of Origin Maroons) is what the current colour is

Refer to the response by Fumbler, the colour was so dark it was essentailly brown, maroon (like in QLD Maroons) is what the current colour is

To some eyes yes it’s brown and to some others no it’s not.

Official records no, never brown. And that’s where arguments end.

Very like Fremantle, I see blue but my arguments won’t defeat the facts that they are purple.

We all see colours differently...

To some eyes yes it’s brown and to some others no it’s not.

Official records no, never brown. And that’s where arguments end.

Very like Fremantle, I see blue but my arguments won’t defeat the facts that they are purple.

We all see colours differently...
But we're not arguing with you mate, we're pointing out that the origin of the colour shade came from the Lions and not bears. The colour on the bears kit is clearly darker than what maroon actually is (likely due to dyes available). Every photo and video points to it being darker. If you line it up next to a Lions current jersey, there is a clear distinction between the bears kit colours and the classic Fitzroy kit which had maroon as a primary colour.

Also note fumbler actually owned one and found it to be a brown colour

As for you believing Fremantle is blue.. that's a whole other kettle of fish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back