Workshop Design Adelaide Football Club Logo

Discussion in 'Footy Jumpers and Graphic Design' started by 1990crow, Nov 7, 2016.

Put it out there
  1. NM_Mitchell

NM_Mitchell Premiership Player

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Werribee - Milwaukee
    Why does everything between these two teams turn into a shit fight?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Greater Gattsby

Greater Gattsby ♛ All Class ♛

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Victory | West Ham United
    Both clubs reside in South Australia

3. NM_Mitchell

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Werribee - Milwaukee
    Good point, it's not like there's anything else to do in Adelaide.

4. Bryce_Jersey17

Bryce_Jersey17 Norm Smith Medallist

GWS
    Other teams:
    Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
    Other than look at churches and complain about the drinking water ;)

Greater Gattsby likes this.
  5. matty p

matty p Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Don't know what it's like to be relevant in your own state?

Dank Academy likes this.
  6. fancyscum

fancyscum All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Our 'competent' marketing seems go alright...
    [​IMG]

7. NM_Mitchell

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Werribee - Milwaukee
    Nope.

8. El_Scorcho

El_Scorcho Brownlow Medallist

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
    You're conflating all sorts of things that I wasn't talking about and reaching conclusions that are nothing to do with what we're talking about.

I specifically said marketing in that post. You've then talked about entire off-field performance, which isn't what i'm talking about at all. I'm talking about how the club presents itself audiovisually, which ranges from logos to uniforms to matchday presentation to marketing campaigns to social media.

Adelaide has traditionally been a horrendously bad club at this sort of stuff. You still have a terrible logo but you've shored up your away guernsey designs to have a really good uniform set overall and you're 'We fly as one' campaign is probably the best one you've run this side of 2000.

Port is still league leading in terms of audiovisual brand positioning and we've been phenomenal at it since Keith Thomas took the reins.

But since you've brought up overall off field performance, i'll remind you that you're still making significant financial losses every year. You announced a $1.3million loss for the previous financial year just over a month ago. You're certainly not the off-field powerhouse that the size of your supporterbase dictates you should be, and you've been unable or unwilling to leverage your enormous support to get a better deal out of the SANFL, which is why a similarly positioned club like West Coast falls ass-backwards into a giant vault of cash like Scrooge McDuck and Adelaide is posting losses.

The "buzz" you're talking about has nothing to do with brand positioning and everything to do with on-field performance. This should be really obvious.

Andy_B, NM_Mitchell and Fizzler like this.
  9. El_Scorcho

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    You have an enormous latent supporter base stemming from being the only side in the state and positioning yourself as a state side for 7 years and you're currently winning.

You're also playing in the best stadium in the country.

This is totally unrelated from how you present yourself visually which is what both Dylan and I were talking about and responding to.

We are in the footy graphic design section here aren't we guys?

10. matty p

matty p Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    You seem to be the one "conflating things". Audiovisual does not equal marketing. In fact your post says you're only talking about marketing, but then you go on to list about 5 different genres, only one of which is marketing.

I don't think you realise that marketing is all about advertising products, selling these products, brand recognition, etc. Adelaide has been performing extremely well in these areas over the past year or so, whilst Port has gone backwards.

The "matchday presentation" you talk about is not marketing. Marketing is the image conveyed of the matchday presentation. Again, Port has gone backward in this area. Your marketing in relation to matchday was extremely successful for a couple of years, but the general populous in SA is no longer drawn in by the Port marketing in this regard, and in fact as I said previously it's become a bit of a laughing stock within professional circles here.

11. matty p

matty p Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I don't want to derail this thread anymore because I think a discussion on a potential new logo is very important, but I suggest you go and look up the difference between marketing, audiovisuals, graphic design etc. I think you're getting the concepts muddled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. El_Scorcho

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    We're on the graphic design board. I was responding to a post about the Adelaide logo and whether it should be more old timey looking or more modern. You told me I was wrong and that Adelaide had been performing very well off field over the past couple of years.

Which isn't what I was talking about at all.

Marketing is entirely about selling a product. In football, more people turn up when you win. That's true for every single side. However in this thread and in this section, we aren't talking about on-field performance, we're talking about how a club positions it's brand outside of on-field performance.

Adelaide is now competent in those areas after being horrendous under Trigg.

lol "laughing stock in professional circles". Oh no! What will we do to regain the respect of the professional circles?!?!?!

Which "professions" are these specifically?

Our matchday presentation was and is the envy of the league, and people have tried to copy it since we set the benchmark on the move to Adelaide Oval. What's important is that our supporter base is engaged with what we're doing, and they absolutely are. There's no wow factor because we've been doing it well for 4 years, but it's still absolutely doing it's job of making Port Adelaide supporters feel engaged at home games.

Worrying about "professional circle" Crows supporters that might not like us is what made us completely dilute our brand a decade ago, which caused a big section of our fanbase to disengage. Football marketing 101 is to engage your core fans first and worry about everything else later.

We're in the footy graphic design section. We don't usually discuss on-field performance in this section and overall there has been a healthy level of respect between the prominent Port supporters and the prominent Crows supporters here because of that. I posted my opinion regarding how the Crows should be positioning their brand under the assumption that that level of respect would be maintained.

You entered the thread, quoted my post and started a dick measuring contest without anything to say about the topic at hand. If you want to enter into dick measuring contests, go to the main board or bay 13. If you want to speak about how teams present themselves visually, stay here and post about that.

Fizzler, Andy_B, Dylan8 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Freight Train

Freight Train a.k.a FruityTree

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Bournemouth, Glory, Raptors
    scorcho with the left right goodnight.

Andy_B and Bryce_Jersey17 like this.
  14. crow28

crow28 Moderator

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool and Melbourne Victory
    Oh boy. I thought this board was the one place I was safe from SA shit-fighting, but it likes to rear its ugly head in this thread. Can we keep it out please?

Crows fans:
    A Port supporter commenting in this thread doesn't immediately mean they're trying to be aggressive. Actually read their content and respond if you feel the desire, but no more "well at least we're better than Portz" crap.

Port fans:
    Of course your opinions are welcome in here, but please be mindful of the subject matter and ensure your tone and content is respectful and not just trying to take a dig at your rivals.

IMG_2500.GIF

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 7:26 AM
    Spanna_ and El_Scorcho like this.
  15. Spanna_

Spanna_ Ironically cool, just like the Ochre

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Pens, West Perth
    Ironic that there's a team in Adelaide called the Power when the state that it's located in always loses it.

rabbitoh21 and Bryce_Jersey17 like this.
  16. Dylan8

Dylan8 BigFooty Shyster

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool FC, Monchengladbach
    410392.jpg