Club Legend
Mar 8, 2010
VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Heart FC
Design Competition

Proudly Sponsored by Distinct Graphic design solutions.
distinct.jpg

Please read the following before entering.

Lets get the most important thing out of the way first, Prizes!
Prize package 1 (1st Place)

1 x Signed Chris Judd Poster (Carlton)
1 x Brand New DVD - '300 (Spartans)'
1 x Set of 2009 Pinnacle Cards - Team set (Mint Condition)
1 x Blend Lanyard
1 x Jeep key ring/mini lanyard

Prize package 2 (2nd Place)

1 x Brand New GB MP3 Player
1 x Motorola Lanyard
1 x NAB inflatable hand

Prize package 3 (3rd Place)
1 x Set of 2009 Pinnacle Cards - Team set (Mint Condition)
1 x Motorola Lanyard

Also included is Certificate/Letter of acknowledgment when prizes are posted.

Competition Details.
The Competition is open imidiately and will run until Wedneday April 21st 2010.

The Revolutionary Judging System.
I have invented a revolutionary but fair judging system. The Judging will comence once the competition is closed, 12 finalists will be selected. First it will go to a public poll for 7 days, once that is completed each percentage point will be counted as 1 point. Then the 12 design will go in front of a panel of 3 judges, with 2 judges alocated 15 points and myself alocated 20 points to spread amongst the 12 (50 points in total). These points can go to as many or as few finalists (points can be split in half).

So for example if a finalist finishes with 12.6% in the poll they will be on 12.6 points. Then once it is judged by the experts the points will be added up and the winner announced. In the case above for example, if the finalist is on 12.6 + 2.5 from Judge 1 + 6 from Judge 2 + 5 from Judge 3 = 26.1 Total Points.

The Design Brife.
Task 1:
- You are to come up with the name for a new football team.
- Once you have picked the name it will be time to chose team colours (2-3 are recomended, but you are welcome to use as many as you like).
- Now its time to design the team logo (Try not to go over the top the best designs are always clean cut and simple).

Task 2:
- You are to design a 'Home' and 'Away' strip for your team. If you would like to include a 'Clash' you may, but it's completely optionl.
- Each 'Home' and 'Away' must contain a Guernsey, Shorts and Socks. Tip: Make sure the 'Away Strip' Guernsey is distinctly different to the 'Home Strip' with out being completely diffrent (make it look like they belong together).
- Guernseys are to have an AFL logo on the left side of the chest and a sponsor on the right, on the back you are to have a player number and sponsor.

Task 3:
- Create a presentation layout to present the Club name, Club logo, Identify your team colours, your 'Home' and 'Away' strips and your Profile Name/Logo. (All tasks to be submitted on 1 page as 1 image).

Some Tips
Well a few tips are, Take some inspiration of your local sports team (doesnt have to be AFL), maybe you could yous your suburb or state in the name or even the suburb you wer raised in, maybe look at your state flag or emblem, you could take ideas from all codes of sport, use some of your favorite colours, bring back some designs from the VFL in the 70's, 80's and 90's but put a modern twist on it.

Get Creative
Designs dont have to be traditional, the can be creative and inovative, Remember the way you present is also taken in to concideration. So yous a nice clean layout or even somthing really creative could do the trick its all up to you guys.

Programs
Paint can be used but I personally would recomend using Photoshop or Illustrator if you can get your hands. If you guys wanna PM each other and 'lend' copies of PS between yourselfs, feel free to.

If you dont know how to use Photoshop/Illustrator their are plenty of online Tutorials, that cover just about every thing you need to know. So take advantage of them they are really good guids.

Templates

If you can make your own I would recomend it but for thoes who arent as skilled at PS there are a couple of links tho some templates a couple of the other bouys have made. Feel free to use them even just 2 get a few ideas.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660776
for Smeagle's Paint templates.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651646
for GANTY's photoshop templates.

'Less is more'
(... Most of the time, but not always).
A great design tip by the great Architect, Mies van der Rohe, 'less is more' meaning minimal design was in his eyes the best way to design. But i dont want to see a plain white Gurnsey. This tip is not for every 1 and going over the top can sometimes (but not often) pay off.

How to Submit Your entry.

1. Complete your design.
2. Make sure the image is not to big to fit on th screen.
3. Save image as a .jpg or .jpeg file.
4. Open up http://imageshack.us/
5. Upload your image
6. Copy the direct link location by pressing CTRL+c
7. Post a reply in this thread.
8. Click the button that says Insert Image. (The button with the mountain and a yellow background on the menu bar).
9. Then press CTRL+v to paste the link location into the pop-up.
10. Hit Submit post

Rules and Ristrictions.
- All BF members are alowed to enter.
- Max 3 entries per Member.
- When uploading please make sure the image is sized to fit on the page.
- Nobody is to copy anyone elses designs or they will be disqualified.
- Make sure you do not infringe Copyright laws.
- Rules, Ristrictions, Tasks and Dates may change at any time, the competition may be ended at anytime.

'Let the Games begin!'
Good Luck!

Re: Design Competition - Heaps of prizes to be won.

If any 1 would like to jump onboard and chip in some prizes please PM me. Prizes can be anthing from Vouchers to Gurnseys or Stickers to Memorabilia. Good luck eveyone and fell free to ask questions or correct any of my mistakes.

do we have to save it as jpg?

png is much better quality
Up to you Jpg's are a smaller file. But that is just a guide for people who dont know how to upload

Any designs yet guys? fell free to chat and discuss your designs. If you need any design help feel free to ask me.

Cheers.

The idea is that you come up with all the ideas yourself.....

And I already have one. Badabing. Badaboom.
Is rather complicated.

You could design a strip for your supercoach team mobitout, that's what I might do if I get some time... also I always find good ideas for footy jumpers from looking at old medi-evil symbols and crests. If you type in heraldry at google images you'll find alot of inspiration for strong yet simple designs.

You could design a strip for your supercoach team mobitout, that's what I might do if I get some time... also I always find good ideas for footy jumpers from looking at old medi-evil symbols and crests. If you type in heraldry at google images you'll find alot of inspiration for strong yet simple designs.

Thanks for the help. Btw I use Dreamteam but not supercoach :D

Anybody think it's wrong to use logos of other sporting clubs? (eg. NFL, NBA, NRL)

Was doing something pretty cool earlier but involved an NFL teams logo.

Anybody think it's wrong to use logos of other sporting clubs? (eg. NFL, NBA, NRL)

If I was a judge, I would take off points because of lack of creativity on the logo part.

yeah thats fair enough mate, i changed the colors of the logo and stuff to match my design but may have to just try make a different logo.

I would'nt recomend it, I'd rather you create your own. You can do what ever you like, but u might not make it through to the next round. But whou knows your Gurnsey design could be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah thats okay just came up with a better idea with alot more history to go into it aswell, will probably still cop a bit of flack for it but I don't mind lol.

Since I am a newbie I wouldn't mind some ideas :)
Some Tips
Well a few tips are, Take some inspiration of your local sports team (doesnt have to be AFL), maybe you could yous your suburb or state in the name or even the suburb you wer raised in, maybe look at your state flag or emblem, you could take ideas from all codes of sport, use some of your favorite colours, bring back some designs from the VFL in the 70's, 80's and 90's but put a modern twist on it.

Get Creative
Designs dont have to be traditional, the can be creative and inovative, Remember the way you present is also taken in to concideration. So yous a nice clean layout or even somthing really creative could do the trick its all up to you guys.

Programs
Paint can be used but I personally would recomend using Photoshop or Illustrator if you can get your hands. If you guys wanna PM each other and 'lend' copies of PS between yourselfs, feel free to.

If you dont know how to use Photoshop/Illustrator their are plenty of online Tutorials, that cover just about every thing you need to know. So take advantage of them they are really good guids.

Templates
If you can make your own I would recomend it but for thoes who arent as skilled at PS there are a couple of links tho some templates a couple of the other bouys have made. Feel free to use them even just 2 get a few ideas.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660776
for Smeagle's Paint templates.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651646
for GANTY's photoshop templates.

'Less is more'
(... Most of the time, but not always).
A great design tip by the great Architect, Mies van der Rohe, 'less is more' meaning minimal design was in his eyes the best way to design. But i dont want to see a plain white Gurnsey. This tip is not for every 1 and going over the top can sometimes (but not often) pay off.

Now lets see what you can come up with.
Good Luck.

Hey guys just thourt I would submit the 1st entry to give you some ideas. I just quickly whiped it up on photoshop, it doesnt count as an entry though.
entry1o.jpg

Hope to see som entrys soon.

Looks pretty nice but you've missed out on a fairly obvious spelling mistake in the script logo :eek:

See "Tiatans" :D

Was going to point that out but I'm putting up my design soon and don't want points taken away from me :( lol

Looks pretty nice but you've missed out on a fairly obvious spelling mistake in the script logo :eek:

See "Tiatans" :D
Damn, My bad.. Great job of setting an example. lol.

Okay here it goes, here is my design. I might cop a bit of flack for it because I'm new and it might not be the best design I could pump out, but it's the best I got at the moment. I've always wondered why there isn't an AFL club down Gippsland way (even though I'd rather one on the mornington-peninsula) so I came up with the South Gippsland Sharks, I always associate that place with Shark's for some reason. Anyways, hope you enjoy.

ddyrh2.jpg

Okay here it goes, here is my design. I might cop a bit of flack for it because I'm new and it might not be the best design I could pump out, but it's the best I got at the moment. I've always wondered why there isn't an AFL club down Gippsland way (even though I'd rather one on the mornington-peninsula) so I came up with the South Gippsland Sharks, I always associate that place with Shark's for some reason. Anyways, hope you enjoy.

ddyrh2.jpg

Hey mate really good effort, few tips, I think the logo coulg do with some work. I think you should be able to produce some thing better, you have the skill. Good Name and good concept, the layout could have been different and more effective with the home strip on the top left or right and the away strip bottom left or right (both on same side, one under the other) and the rest to one side of the page. Thats IMO but the team strips look great, and i like the shadow effect you went for.

here's mine. the SOUTH SYDNEY GECKOS:

colours: green and white
mascot: gecko
major sponsors: toyota and corona extra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back