FTA-TV Designated Survivor *spoilers*

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This show has gotten considerably worse, somehow. They kill of the vice president, his wife and the only other lady associated with the conspiracy, and turn it into a ******* shithouse version of West Wing/House of Cards. I DONT CARE ABOUT THE POLITICS *. Get back to the shitty conspiracy.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
This thing is a turd.

Keifer Sutherland is a little prick who tries to look tough in all his roles but has no charisma or look to pull it off. Not to mention everything he's in is so soft, weak, lily-livered, and diluted to appeal to the worst demographic clamouring for clichés and action. That first episode where they're walking through the rubble and he's talking to the fire fighters is like something you'd see Dave Chappelle riff on to diss white people, or what a child would think the president would say. It was so false and corny. Jesus christ.

Netflix generally make bad shows too. They've basically admitted their way of making money is to bring in names and to subscribe to the any publicity is good publicity mantra – seriously, picking up Adam Sandler? There's appealling to certain tastes, or trying your hand in a few genres, but they stoop so low and their quality control is just at the lowest floor.

Then again TV is being milked dry. People will try and tell you the golden era is still on but we're not just seeing too many people trying to capitalise on a medium that probably peaked in popularity two years ago and that now has way too many sub-par people taking up spots in important roles.

This thing is a turd.

Keifer Sutherland is a little prick who tries to look tough in all his roles but has no charisma or look to pull it off. Not to mention everything he's in is so soft, weak, lily-livered, and diluted to appeal to the worst demographic clamouring for clichés and action. That first episode where they're walking through the rubble and he's talking to the fire fighters is like something you'd see Dave Chappelle riff on to diss white people, or what a child would think the president would say. It was so false and corny. Jesus christ.

Netflix generally make bad shows too. They've basically admitted their way of making money is to bring in names and to subscribe to the any publicity is good publicity mantra – seriously, picking up Adam Sandler? There's appealling to certain tastes, or trying your hand in a few genres, but they stoop so low and their quality control is just at the lowest floor.

Then again TV is being milked dry. People will try and tell you the golden era is still on but we're not just seeing too many people trying to capitalise on a medium that probably peaked in popularity two years ago and that now has way too many sub-par people taking up spots in important roles.

I like it because you don't.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
I just binged it this long weekend, and enjoyed it.

its the off season for most of my favourite shows, so it was good I found a new one to watch.

Also binged "The Last Kingdom " (Vikings wannabe) and really enjoyed that also.

Can't wait till The Americans returns to Foxtel in a week or so.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
House of Cards
Stranger Things
The Crown
Daredevil
OITB

I think Silent Alarm is a contrarian hipster that enjoys shitting on things that are universally considered good.
House of Cards was good for the first couple of seasons but it's lost the plot now. It was never a fantastic show so they should have done their dash and got it over with in three seasons, instead they, like just about every show now, stretched it out and completely pulled too many threads too thin. Now it's an unrewarding watch; one of those shows that's a total chore to sit through.

The Crown? Meh, find it hard to really get invested in things set that far back. Seems like something trading off its period in replacement to it actually trading off things a good TV show should.

Daredevil? Hate that superhero s**t.

Orange is the New Black is a great show though, pretty good mix of lightweight watching without having dumb jokes but some decent enough characters who are worth watching, some good dialogue, some nice storylines means it's pretty good at what it wants to be. I loved the way the final episode of the last season ended – bringing back a character who was missing for most of the series, putting the onus on her... we know her, know how she is and the way she is, but it's a fresh way to bring back someone you've forgotten about. Really smart. I do think it's dangling far too close to falling victim from too many episodes. Weeds was alright and novel for about three seasons but got stupendously dumb and then they kept making more and more! Janji Kohan seems to have a better set of writers to back this up but still, don't stretch out this one – it is the last season this next one, right? Or is that hopeful thinking?

Also you've mentioned half a dozen... there is so much s**t. The OA had no idea on how to pace a show, how to balance out flashbacks, brought out all these threads and never went back... had about 10 characters who had the purpose of filling space or giving out two lines of dialogue... I watched it for the Rostam Batmanglij soundtrack and that was it.

The Get Down... corny try hard s**t again trading off the totally crazy zany cool 80s!

Their docos are so bad too, on the most boring topics they think are so remarkable and edgy – it's even worse than modern Vice. Making A Murderer was like... okay... alright... ahh... where's the point?

That's not to mention their hack comic and comedy stuff. Adam Sandler? * me. That idiot Amy Schumer who trades off being fat, Aziz Ansari who trades off being brown and short... I don't get any of it.

That show Love was okay purely for the try hard hipster LA s**t. Didn't mind it. That's as hipster as I am.

The concept of the show is pretty cool but the characters, writing, acting etc is all pretty bad. Good for cheesy entertainment but can't see it lasting much longer - maybe a second or third season if they are lucky but they are burning through a lot of the plot lines super quick (i.e finding 1 survivor from the explosion, making him VP and then killing him off in the space of a handful of eps lol).

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Watching House of Cards again was very confusing after watching this - the questions over Conroy's time at war is very similar to what is happening in DS with McLeish etc., chiefs of staff both have little side stories going on, both press secretaries are named Seth FFS.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Finally finished it a few weeks later. Strange show. Had a fun premise, but the conspiracy got more and more ridiculous, though at least was entertaining. But then the last half of that season just dragged. Badly.

A show that wanted to be part 24 and part The West Wing but ended up in a lot of ways the worst aspects of both of them. I have my doubts I'll watch Season 2.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I see that about half of season 2 is up on Netflix
Did anyone stick with this one ?

Yep, probably about the same or slightly worse quality than the back half of last season. Doesn't seem to be heading anywhere in particular and the first half of season 2 ended on a weird and pointless 'shock'.

Season 3 kind of actually worked. It's still probably only a 6.5/10 (up from a 3/10 for the first two seasons), but it had more of an appeal due to some creative license on Netflix. There was enough swearing in each episode to make it a little less networky, with a few C U next Tuesdays thrown in for added effect. They added a couple of extremely good characters which, if they were there from the beginning, would've made the show work so much better. Of course, there was still too much cheesiness, liberal influence and scenes that make you go "urghh", but it's worth watching if you've got to the bottom of your tv pile.

The most redeeming feature for mine was the introduction of Anthony Edwards as the Chief of Staff. I love him as an actor, he played a great character that worked for the show, and it made me go back to the good ol' days of ER and Dr Greene's death :'(

Back