Desktop vs Laptop

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Budget conscious with about $500 to spend - and maybe push as high as $700.

I havent bought a desktop in probably a decade or more so I have no idea what is available. For laptops I realise this is at the low end.

Would want to be 15" if possible, and be reasonable enough to play simple Steam games, Minecraft, Roblox, etc.

Do I look for desktop options or Laptop options? The desktop would need a monitor too. Doesnt need to be huge. 21" would be plenty enough.

My guess is laptop is really the only sensible option?

I'd go with a gaming laptop & drop some extra $$ on a good-quality gaming monitor. This way you can connect to an external display when you wish, without forgoing the portability a laptop offers.

Best of both worlds, really. Unless you go with an iMac or a custom PC build, retail desktops are very hit and miss on quality.

Personally I'd go for a desktop unless you need the portability of a laptop. You will get more bang for your buck with your limited budget, and they're much easier to upgrade or replace parts if necessary.

Personally I'd go for a desktop unless you need the portability of a laptop. You will get more bang for your buck with your limited budget, and they're much easier to upgrade or replace parts if necessary.

This. If you want to do some gaming (even just simple, low demand titles) you need your money going further like it will with a desktop. Have a look around for used options close to you from reputable sellers. Should be able to get something decent enough for $500. I got mine for $580 with similar needs to yourself.

Budget conscious with about $500 to spend - and maybe push as high as $700.

I havent bought a desktop in probably a decade or more so I have no idea what is available. For laptops I realise this is at the low end.

Would want to be 15" if possible, and be reasonable enough to play simple Steam games, Minecraft, Roblox, etc.

Do I look for desktop options or Laptop options? The desktop would need a monitor too. Doesnt need to be huge. 21" would be plenty enough.

My guess is laptop is really the only sensible option?
Only buy a laptop if you need your computer to be mobile, otherwise a desktop PC is better in every way. Especially reliability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back