Despite no flag the last 10 or so seasons weren’t a ‘waste of time’

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to be kidding - and Parfitt i suppose is going to be the best centreman since Ian Stewart

Ablett N - if it he had stayed at Geel would have been a servicable AFL player at best - 2009 GF side - with Hawkins and Cam Mooney - Ablett wouldnt have got a game - Ablett was not quick - borderline slow

Ablett how old was he when he tried out with the Gold Coast - what 26 or something - if he was so dam good why couldnt he get senior games then

Some serious overrating of some Geel players

Peter Johnston played CHF for Geel years ago - id put N Ablett on a par with him - thats about it
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I actually think he had the potential to be even better than his brother.

I can't help but play this every year.

How was that bizarre somersault in avoiding contact!!!

Team player, one touch every time, a left foot most would dream of….
Both Nath and Matty Egan gone within a few months, it’s unbelievable that we still recovered from that. Obviously the Harry Taylor drafting was one of the most important in the clubs history. Still sad though.

Last edited:

I don’t see it as a waste like most. It is entertainment after all and if you haven’t been entertained over the past ten years then you are very hard to please.

If anyone who was at the Richmond game earlier this can honestly say they didn’t have one of the best nights at the footy ever then we have very very different expectations. Was an absolute hoot of a night, one of the most Enjoyable games I have been at.

I don’t see it as a waste like most. It is entertainment after all and if you haven’t been entertained over the past ten years then you are very hard to please.

If anyone who was at the Richmond game earlier this can honestly say they didn’t have one of the best nights at the footy ever then we have very very different expectations. Was an absolute hoot of a night, one of the most Enjoyable games I have been at.
Yes, but in terms of this year I raise you the games against Collingwood, Carlton, North, etc etc

You have to be kidding - and Parfitt i suppose is going to be the best centreman since Ian Stewart

Ablett N - if it he had stayed at Geel would have been a servicable AFL player at best - 2009 GF side - with Hawkins and Cam Mooney - Ablett wouldnt have got a game - Ablett was not quick - borderline slow

Ablett how old was he when he tried out with the Gold Coast - what 26 or something - if he was so dam good why couldnt he get senior games then

Some serious overrating of some Geel players

Peter Johnston played CHF for Geel years ago - id put N Ablett on a par with him - thats about it

This is a poor take.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I actually think he had the potential to be even better than his brother.

Wow - ive heard it all now - some of you wouldnt be out of place on the current Geel coaching set up - how you massively overrate certain Geel players

Better than his brother hey - hah

How about comparing him to Barry Stoneham ( who played a similar position ) and Stoneham could also and did - play FF - Centre half back and full back - perfect example 91 Qual final against Stk - Lockett totally out of control - big Baz had to go down their - and he kept Plugger under wraps - one of the main reasons the Cats won

Comparing N Ablett to Barry Stoneham - just absolute chalk and cheese - just such a better allround footballer

Put your N Ablett views on the main board - go on - where youve got neutral views - not biased through the roof - hyped up - utter blue sky Geel supporters

Wow - ive heard it all now - some of you wouldnt be out of place on the current Geel coaching set up - how you massively overrate certain Geel players

There are decent arguments in favour of him having more talent than Gary. Same gene pool but taller, better leap, and, despite not having gone through the elite u18s system and playing as a tall forward, just as big an impact in his first 30 or so matches as Gary.

He was physically undeveloped and raw as rocks, but the potential was phenomenal.

How about comparing him to Barry Stoneham ( who played a similar position ) and Stoneham could also and did - play FF - Centre half back and full back - perfect example 91 Qual final against Stk - Lockett totally out of control - big Baz had to go down their - and he kept Plugger under wraps - one of the main reasons the Cats won

Comparing N Ablett to Barry Stoneham - just absolute chalk and cheese - just such a better allround footballer

Put your N Ablett views on the main board - go on - where youve got neutral views - not biased through the roof - hyped up - utter blue sky Geel supporters
I did say it was my opinion but apparently you know more than me.
SP I also think Stoneham could have been a great centre half forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not better, but I would say more natural talent. And considering he had come straight from local footy so his fitness was nowhere those coming through the usual system, his output was pretty damn good.

Sure. But to be fair you would compare Ablett to the Barry Stoneham of 1988, who had played 30 odd games, not the seasoned key forward he was in 1991.

Nathan Ablett had more natural talent than any other key forward I've ever seen at Geelong. Easily. We'll never know how good he might have been, but I'm very very confident he would have been an extremely good footballer.*

(* - allowing for proper commitment and training etc., which after 2007 he just didn't have)

Would be happy to. Put them anywhere.

There are decent arguments in favour of him having more talent than Gary. Same gene pool but taller, better leap, and, despite not having gone through the elite u18s system and playing as a tall forward, just as big an impact in his first 30 or so matches as Gary.

He was physically undeveloped and raw as rocks, but the potential was phenomenal.

Imagine if his body put on more weight just as all the Ablett's do. That would have been extra core strength (which he naturally had).
Was already a solid mark and his kicking was sublime.

Sure. But to be fair you would compare Ablett to the Barry Stoneham of 1988, who had played 30 odd games, not the seasoned key forward he was in 1991.

Nathan Ablett had more natural talent than any other key forward I've ever seen at Geelong. Easily. We'll never know how good he might have been, but I'm very very confident he would have been an extremely good footballer.*

(* - allowing for proper commitment and training etc., which after 2007 he just didn't have)

Would be happy to. Put them anywhere.

No that is where you are totally wrong mate - and your argument crashes to bits

88 latter part of season - i went to an Ess v Geel game - out at Ess - and the Cats had a fantastic 10 goal win

And in that game - Barry Stoneham - a young B Stoneham played FB opposed to Paul Salmon - and absolutely killed him . And the highlight of Stonehams game that day - was how many times - he ran off Salmon - taking multiple bounces - and clearing the ball for the Cats . He played that well - i wouldnt be surprised if he was awarded Brownlow Medal votes

Nathan Ablett - the much hyped Nathan Ablett - he couldnt do that in your dreams mate

88 latter part of season - i went to an Ess v Geel game - out at Ess - and the Cats had a fantastic 10 goal win

And in that game - Barry Stoneham - a young B Stoneham played FB opposed to Paul Salmon - and absolutely killed him . And the highlight of Stonehams game that day - was how many times - he ran off Salmon - taking multiple bounces - and clearing the ball for the Cats . He played that well - i wouldnt be surprised if he was awarded Brownlow Medal votes

Nathan Ablett - the much hyped Nathan Ablett - he couldnt do that in your dreams mate

Interesting - Stoneham no Brownlow votes that day, only had the 4 touches - but did keep Salmon to 1 goal (there are some highlights of that match on Youtube, Stoneham clearly matched up with Fish) ... Austin McCrabb a lazy 20 disposals!

The football club exists to win premierships, that is its primary purpose.

It's similar to how a military exists to win wars, that is its primary function and purpose for being despite a military undertaking many other roles.

Yes there are other functions that occur within a modern day AFL club, such as playing an active role in the community, however those ancillary functions should not detract from our primary focus which is to win premierships. Those roles should enhance our capability, infact.

I honestly believe in the Carter years the focus was lost somewhat on what our primary driver was.

Hopefully Drummond will straighten up the ship.....and I believe he is so far.

Probably not, he was never a key defender for starters.

Here's a few other facts though:
  • That game was Stoneham's 38th senior game. The 2007 Grand final was Ablett's 32nd.
  • Up until that point, the most Stoneham had kicked in a game was 3 - on four separate occasions (all in 1988 too interestingly).
  • Nathan Ablett kicked 4 goals in his 2nd game - and won a Rising star nomination.
  • In 2007 Ablett kicked 5 once, 4 once, and 3 goals on five other occasions (twice during the finals).

If you're arguing he wasn't as versatile, I completely agree. But as a key forward he showed every bit as much if not more promise. Ultimately we'll never know.

Team player, one touch every time, a left foot most would dream of….
Both Nath and Matty Egan gone within a few months, it’s unbelievable that we still recovered from that. Obviously the Harry Taylor drafting was one of the most important in the clubs history. Still sad though.
Agreed. We lost NAblett preseason 08, and Egan last H&A game v Lions 07, but still amazing how we finished 08 so far on top (prefinals). Taylor was possibly our most important recruit during our era. I would say ahead of Ottens, but that is arguable.

Last edited:
Waste of TIME ???
LOL. I had & have plenty of time to waste.
Best 45 years of my life was at the footy or in front of the TV on 22-25 weekends a year.
You guys gotta get a grip. Life is what you make of it.
Stop ya pissing and moaning and enjoy whatever comes your way.
Coz one day it will end.
Keep life and life's joys in perspective boys & girls.
Just remember one thing.
No one owes anything and it will keep you in good steed. That includes your favourite sporting clubs.
Cheers Boys!

Waste of TIME ???
LOL. I had & have plenty of time to waste.
Best 45 years of my life was at the footy or in front of the TV on 22-25 weekends a year.
You guys gotta get a grip. Life is what you make of it.
Stop ya pissing and moaning and enjoy whatever comes your way.
Coz one day it will end.
Keep life and life's joys in perspective boys & girls.
Just remember one thing.
No one owes anything and it will keep you in good steed. That includes your favourite sporting clubs.
Cheers Boys!
I love your perspective, but philosophically, I have two personal problems with it :D

Firstly, if everyone had that opinion towards everything, nobody would ever get upset about anything. This sounds great in a 'peace love, coombayah' sense, but it's not practical. Nothing would get done.

Secondly, improving the world and bettering things is the business of dissatisfied people. You need to be angry/upset/let down/pissed off to care enough to change things. The very same attitude inspired the team in 2007 to do what they did. It inspired Melbourne to do what they just did. You need people to be motivated to change things, and the only real motivation we have in life is emotion. The best chess player in the world has stayed at the top for a decade because he HATES losing more than anything. Personally, I've never had a greater motivation to succeed in my career than the desire to prove other people wrong and to overcome those who have discounted me. The whole 'enjoy everything no matter what' mantra sounds wise on a bumper sticker, but it's naivety masquerading as wisdom in my opinion. It also discounts the fact that we're emotional creatures - half a chromosome away from chimpanzees. ;)

I love your perspective, but philosophically, I have two personal problems with it :D

Firstly, if everyone had that opinion towards everything, nobody would ever get upset about anything. This sounds great in a 'peace love, coombayah' sense, but it's not practical. Nothing would get done.

Secondly, improving the world and bettering things is the business of dissatisfied people. You need to be angry/upset/let down/pissed off to care enough to change things. The very same attitude inspired the team in 2007 to do what they did. It inspired Melbourne to do what they just did. You need people to be motivated to change things, and the only real motivation we have in life is emotion. The best chess player in the world has stayed at the top for a decade because he HATES losing more than anything. Personally, I've never had a greater motivation to succeed in my career than the desire to prove other people wrong and to overcome those who have discounted me. The whole 'enjoy everything no matter what' mantra sounds wise on a bumper sticker, but it's naivety masquerading as wisdom in my opinion. It also discounts the fact that we're emotional creatures - half a chromosome away from chimpanzees. ;)

Just so i can be a little clearer on my post.
It's about.... My time is my time.
I choose to use it where and when and with whom i like.
That is the point of my post.
It is never a waste of my time when i choose to use it how i wish to use it.
In this case my time I choose to pay/watch/follow the Geelong Footy Club.
But to have people pissing and moaning that a team i & they follow haven't delivered me/them my joyful right of celebrating victory after victory and the ultimate victory at years end is somehow a waste of time. My time?? Their time??
When they freely choose to use their time in watching/following their footy club.
That to me is absurd.

As I said. NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back