Opinion Despite our current form and ladder position our intention should still be to contend for the 2021 Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing against lowly teams means you have to make them up against top teams. That is the bar we have set. I think winning those games with our backs to the wall puts us in good stead mentally, and as we slowly re-integrate those AA players we will be generating serious competition for positions. How that is managed is key. For example (and I hate to say it) but our team seems to function better with one of Barrass or McGovern out of the team and right now Barrass is the man. I would actually want to see from good form from McGovern

Losing against lowly teams means you have to make them up against top teams. That is the bar we have set. I think winning those games with our backs to the wall puts us in good stead mentally, and as we slowly re-integrate those AA players we will be generating serious competition for positions. How that is managed is key. For example (and I hate to say it) but our team seems to function better with one of Barrass or McGovern out of the team and right now Barrass is the man. I would actually want to see from good form from McGovern
Hmmm, reminds me of a thread after EF game last season.....because both are too attacking, can afford having 1 attacking KPD but not 2, need 1 to play lockdown.

Did the Season predictor from here on..
Regaining the Troops.
Shuey, Kelly, Gov, Witho, Shep & Petch
And Rioli X Factor i have Eagles finishing 3rd.
Only game that in history that looks iffy is Swans at SCG but with a big pile of Best 22 players in and some Gun Youth we can make it two Wins at the SCG in 1 year.

Demons have a very tough run home.
They lost a game to Crows.
Big Game vs Pies.
History shows clubs losing a coach mid season fire up and win 1st game after.
Attached Demons run home and what i think.
View attachment 1154770View attachment 1154771
My ladder ended up
Dogs
Cats
Eagles
Tigers
Brisbane
Melbourne
Port
Swans

Dogs vs Tigers (MCG)
Cats vs Eagles (KP)

Bris vs Swans (Gabba Elim)
Melbourne vs Port (Elim) (MCG)
You have accidentally mistaken 2021 Melbourne with 20202 Melbourne.
Unless they get a raft of key injuries they easily account for Pies, bombers and GWS. It would be an impressive implosion for the Dees to finish outside of top 4 this year.

Unless they get a raft of key injuries they easily account for Pies, bombers and GWS. It would be an impressive implosion for the Dees to finish outside of top 4 this year.

I have my fingers and toes crossed.

They just lost.

I didn't mistake anything.
I have carefully looked at their draw.
As i have Eagles, Dogs, Cats & Tigers.

Dees are gonna drop 5 at least.
Counting today as 1.

Dogs, Cats, Eagles, Port are losses for them

They couldn't beat Crows in Adelaide.
They wont beat Eagles here, Cats in Geelong,
Nor will they beat Dogs again.

On todays form that makes Dons, Giants & Hawks not that easy.

They just lost.

I didn't mistake anything.
I have carefully looked at their draw.
As i have Eagles, Dogs, Cats & Tigers.

Dees are gonna drop 5 at least.
Counting today as 1.

Dogs, Cats, Eagles, Port are losses for them

They couldn't beat Crows in Adelaide.
They wont beat Eagles here, Cats in Geelong,
Nor will they beat Dogs again.

On todays form that makes Dons, Giants & Hawks not that easy.
I actually picked Pies in the game day thread (2 points). With a departing club legend and a marquee game, these upsets are not uncommon. However the Dees are very good this year and I think after copping that they will easily account for GWS and Bombers. I still.dont see them.leaving the top 4. I do think they will choke in a prelim but.

I don't agree with all the sentiment that we should give up on contending for the 2021 flag and 'plan' for the future.
At no point should this be considered whilst we are in the top eight, or - if we were to fall out - we have a realistic shout of getting back into it. Given our current ladder position and the gap to ninth positions that means we should be all guns blazing till the season ends - and we are. The club has given no indication the cue has been put in the rack.

No doubt our flag aspirations have taken some huge hits this year, and we are going to be coming from a long way back. But whilst you are in the eight, especially with nine rounds to go, it's still all systems go.

Revisit the question at the end of the year as to what course we take in 2022.

If we limp to the finals and go straight out there will definitely be thoughts about calling on the rebuild from next year. If so, the obvious two that would make way are Hurn and JK. We may even make a tough call on someone like Jack Redden, and see if we can scoop up a draft pick for him.

If we come home strong with a full compliment of players (or a near full compliment of players), then I think we should go again in 2022, which would mean wanting to retain all of our senior best 22 players. Hoping JK and Hurn will have one more season in them, and I think they will. They're not the consistent beasts they were 5 years ago (although yesterday says hello), but they still sit around 10th on our list and comfortably inside the best 22. Hutchings and Vardy will be gone either way at the end of this year. Regardless of what happens, I can't imagine Hurn or JK on a list in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back