Destination clubs - an equalisation loophole?

Remove this Banner Ad

Love seeing these hawthorn supporting flogs eat it after smugly thinking st kilda was foolish for not simply handing over pick 5, and that their club was so smart in being able to do a deal quickly. Looks like St Kilda is set to emerge on top, getting more value than just handing over pick 5 in the end, with hawks supporters sucking on sour grapes.

Love seeing these hawthorn supporting flogs eat it after smugly thinking st kilda was foolish for not simply handing over pick 5, and that their club was so smart in being able to do a deal quickly. Looks like St Kilda is set to emerge on top, getting more value than just handing over pick 5 in the end, with hawks supporters sucking on sour grapes.

Yup them grapes taste particularly sour for Hawks after going b2b2b in GF's. Sure they're crying in their sleep too...

Biggest problem is that FA has taught players and player managers to move clubs. Problem is they are doing this before they qualify for FA. More restrictions need to be put into place with trades. The BS of players naming clubs to be traded to and basically holding their old club to randsom with PSD threats is what is killing the equality. Unless it is for compassionate reasons (homesick, family problems, etc) a player (especially one under contract) should not be able to just name a club they want to transfer to because they feel like it. That is what FA is for. I think most clubs have dealt decently in recent times with players requests when they have reasons for returning home, but there are certainly some who get lured by $$$ or fame or whatever that simply should not be allowed to move unless a suitable trade is presented. A suitable trade, not a take this or take nothing threat. Interstate clubs get hit especially hard with home sickness, but lately there has been a lot of movement of players just wanting to play for bigger clubs, or moving for "lifestyle" choices. The draft was designed to be the main way clubs at the bottom acquire top talent so they can climb back up, but this doesn't work when players walk so early in their careers.

FA isn't the threat, it is a players ability to nominate a club, and walk away for free if a deal isn't done.

Yup them grapes taste particularly sour for Hawks after going b2b2b in GF's. Sure they're crying in their sleep too...

Makes me laugh even more to try to justify this trade period with past results. Hawthorn thought they could be the big swinging d*ck here, and came away holding their 2in limpy. Everyone thought they pulled a fast one, but they simple wasted their own time chasing ghosts.

Face it, hawks supporters were creaming in their pants when the read they were stealing Carlisle as a replacement for Lake. *cue sad music*

You've all been played for fools, including so called respected AFL journos like Jake Niall and Damien Barrett who were quick to sink the boots in to St Kilda for being outwitted by Hawthorn at the trade table.

Essendon leaked some story about how Hawthorn were going to swoop on Carlisle with an awesome trade deal in order to get St Kilda to panic trade pick 5 and it's turned out to be wrong, just like the AFL media were wrong about the Kim Duthie stuff after sinking the boots in to St Kilda.

Where are all the smartarses now that were gloating here yesterday about how Hawthorn were awesome at trading and St Kilda were dills?

Nowhere to be seen.

Great. Are you holding on to pick 5 as well? :rolleyes:

Is that the best you've got? At least you're brave enough to show your face here unlike some of the other BF footy experts in this thread.

Who the **** would want to play for St Kilda?

Jake Carlisle still does apparently and he doesn't want to play for Hawthorn.

There's a shock for you arrogant Hawks supporters that think your club is the be all and end all.

Last edited:
Do you really think Hawthorn fans are losing sleep over this Carlisle/St Kilda stalemate after watching their club win the past 3 premierships?

We all know the Saints will eventually pay the Dons and cough up pick 5. They aren't fooling anyone. St Kilda and Carlisle will be the laughing stocks of the AFL if they don't make it happen. It's f**kin funny to watch them pretend they can take or leave a player whom they're prepared to pay more $3.2 million over 5 seasons. What a bunch of jokers… You can tell the Saints recruiting manager isn't a poker player. Perhaps he really believes that Carlisle will slip through to them in the PSD. Not sure how that can happen with Essendon one slot ahead of them in the draft order. What's to stop Essendon from re-drafting him?

Anyway, I watch on with mild interest at all the posturing from players managers and club recruiting managers. It's like a soap opera. I also piss myself laughing at all the 500 page threads on the various club boards. The trade period is something for fans of the loser clubs to get excited about. A chance for people to dream their impossible dreams of finals and premierships before reality sinks in after 5 games in 2016.

You haven't got Carlisle yet and according to this tweet you won't get him.

Hawthorn has played their best hand early at the trade table while we just sit back quietly and collect the chips, maybe Hawthorn aren't as awesome at the trade table as everyone says they are.

I thought you were the one bemoaning North giving Hawthorn pick 15 for a 10 gamer?

Releasing panic statements isn't what I would call sitting back quietly btw.

I thought you were the one bemoaning North giving Hawthorn pick 15 for a 10 gamer?

Releasing panic statements isn't what I would call sitting back quietly btw.

Believe it or not I don't actually work for the St Kilda recruiting department.

No idea why this thread was moved here either btw, seemed to be OK on the main board when everyone was sinking the boots into St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you are a St. Kilda supporter, you haven't seen a flag since 1966, a Bulldogs one with 1954 & Melbourne 1964. Those clubs are great but how long until the motivation goes?

It's sad and I cried when Fitzroy died but there are simply too many clubs.
You can gagf to be honest. It's pretty obvious you have a hatred of St Kilda, seen you pop up in plenty of threads related to us to pot us in the last week or so.

If you are a St. Kilda supporter, you haven't seen a flag since 1966, a Bulldogs one with 1954 & Melbourne 1964. Those clubs are great but how long until the motivation goes?

It's sad and I cried when Fitzroy died but there are simply too many clubs.

Get stuffed mate. We have played in grand finals recently and are building a solid young side to rise for another crack. We are in the mix and actually been far more relevant the last decade than so called powerhouses Richmond, Essendon & Carlton. So over this condescending rubbish from Pies and Hawks supporters who expect us to just fold based on results from decades gone by.

The solution is the salary cap.

Allow weaker clubs to spend less of the maximum. It's idiocy to force St Kilda or Carlton to spend at least 95% of what Hawthorn spends. They should be allowed to spend 80% on current players and use the remaining 20% as a massive war chest to go for free agents if they want to.

Also, the salary cap should actually be enforced properly. No more sweetheart deals on the side - every club should not be allowed to directly or indirectly pay any player $1 over the actual cap. Stuff like club sponsors throwing cash to players, media deals, etc should be stamped out.

So much this.

Do you really think Hawthorn fans are losing sleep over this Carlisle/St Kilda stalemate after watching their club win the past 3 premierships?

We all know the Saints will eventually pay the Dons and cough up pick 5. They aren't fooling anyone. St Kilda and Carlisle will be the laughing stocks of the AFL if they don't make it happen. It's f**kin funny to watch them pretend they can take or leave a player whom they're prepared to pay more $3.2 million over 5 seasons. What a bunch of jokers… You can tell the Saints recruiting manager isn't a poker player. Perhaps he really believes that Carlisle will slip through to them in the PSD. Not sure how that can happen with Essendon one slot ahead of them in the draft order. What's to stop Essendon from re-drafting him?

Anyway, I watch on with mild interest at all the posturing from players managers and club recruiting managers. It's like a soap opera. I also piss myself laughing at all the 500 page threads on the various club boards. The trade period is something for fans of the loser clubs to get excited about. A chance for people to dream their impossible dreams of finals and premierships before reality sinks in after 5 games in 2016.

You seem pretty agitated for somebody who states it is not a bid deal for the Hawks not to get Carlisle. Really comes across like you care quite a lot dude. In fact the numerous pot shots at our club reeks of you being a little pissed the a so called minnow club may have trumped the Hawks on this one.

Que, we are Hawthorn, we win everything, we are amazing, rant. Lol, it is cute that you something in life that u win at.

You can gagf to be honest. It's pretty obvious you have a hatred of St Kilda, seen you pop up in plenty of threads related to us to pot us in the last week or so.
Pretty sad implication to his post, if you ask me: he just said that he thinks flags are necessary to continue supporting a club, which makes you wonder what sort of supporter he is.

Mick39, how close did you come to losing 'motivation' during the 'wobble years?

Has anyone ever had the thought besides me that hawthorn have been Genuinely Lucky in the last 3 granny's??

2013 - played an interstate team on your home ground
2014- played an interstate team on your home ground
2015 - played an interstate team on your home ground.

You blokes have never even played another Victorian side on the big dance that can actually play at the G.

and if it's any consolidation I truely believe the other 2 clubs that have achieved similar accolades in the last decade (Brisbane & Geelong) had to do it twice as hard and would pants your mob all the way back to glenferrie road.

Arrogant pricks.

your the joker, loud mouthed Hawthorn arrogance, deal was for 4 years for a start, and no where near 800k #factsdontcount

What's stopping St Kilda trading out one their talented youngsters to get the currency to satisfy Essendon?
We were happy to see one of our talented players as part of the trade, but ******* that Dorodo is, closed the door to ANYTHING but pick 5 or Billings. For what, to look strong?

Now you tell me, would you be happy if your club did that deal?

We were happy to play fair, dons wanted obscene overs, hoping we'd just roll over. No.

Facts are, if Carlisle was contracted by dons and he didn't have wada over his head, he'd be worth significantly more. But he isn't and he does. So we'd look stupid to pay overs and if any club does then good luck to 'em.

We were happy to see one of our talented players as part of the trade, but ******* that Dorodo is, closed the door to ANYTHING but pick 5 or Billings. For what, to look strong?

Now you tell me, would you be happy if your club did that deal?

We were happy to play fair, dons wanted obscene overs, hoping we'd just roll over. No.

Facts are, if Carlisle was contracted by dons and he didn't have wada over his head, he'd be worth significantly more. But he isn't and he does. So we'd look stupid to pay overs and if any club does then good luck to 'em.

That's fine, but I only entered this discussion with a question about why St Kilda don't trade out some talent to aquire the currency Dildoro is asking.

Similar to the Hawthorn proposal, that could involve a third club, but have so far just been responded to with insecurity.

Maybe you cough up pick 5, maybe you Pay unders some other way i don't really care tbh.

As it stands Hawthorn have traded a 10 game player who wanted to look elsewhere for pick 15, apparently that's evidence hawthorn aren't much chop at the trade table ignoring the very obvious proof that is in the pudding.

North have had a pretty good run in terms of players wanting to come to us or us getting the people we want. Can't complain really.

I think the difference is you are getting late career guys who are good for one last tilt. Comparing someone like Jarrad Waite who was more frustrating than most during his career to Treloar or Dangerfield who both have years of high level football left, in Treloar's case he's going to have 10 years ahead and already has elite output. North got Higgins but he's been injured more than he's played. Not many would have seen him as one to line up for before you guys got him.

I think there is a problem and you guys are going hard at a tilt at the flag. Unfortunately with the age profile and lack of drafting high end talent you will end up where the saints did after doing the same thing IMO.

Collingwood are interesting- they did an on the hop rebuild and sold of talent to bring in talent. I don't begrudge the Pies as much as the Hawks, at least they did some heavy lifting. The Hawks and Swans seem to cherry pick from others hard work. WCE seem to have a knack for stealing the western talent.

How many of you are rampant laissez faire, Neo-conservative, ayn rand type warriors when it comes to your football club doing whatever it takes

But Keynesian jeremy corbyn Whitlamesque bleeding heart redistributionists when it comes to society ?

I know a few of those. Also pacifists that lift to their feet at the prospect of one of their players lining someone up for a hard bump. Football is escapism for some. Go have your ethical vegan falafel then have a skin full of beer and act like a sub cro-magnon once the ball gets bounced.

That's fine, but I only entered this discussion with a question about why St Kilda don't trade out some talent to aquire the currency Dildoro is asking.

Similar to the Hawthorn proposal, that could involve a third club, but have so far just been responded to with insecurity.

Maybe you cough up pick 5, maybe you Pay unders some other way i don't really care tbh.

As it stands Hawthorn have traded a 10 game player who wanted to look elsewhere for pick 15, apparently that's evidence hawthorn aren't much chop at the trade table ignoring the very obvious proof that is in the pudding.

You guys are getting a bit too cocky. You should have held on to Anderson if he's as good as you guys say. There is a cliff coming where the older guys will be gone and you are going to have to start replacing your best 7 or so players. Mitchell must be mid 30s and Burgoyne about the same. Lewis , Roughy etc must be around 30. I think as an industry we over react. When Sydney did what you guys are doing we banned them from trading. Geelong is interesting, they haven't dropped way in a decade or so and truly believe they can defy the gravity of the system. They are going all or nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back