Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Gaben

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Poor coaching performance today to go with a terrible midfield effort.

Reid selection
No forward structure for 3 quarters.
Not drilling “wet weather football wet weather football wet weather football” into their heads

I refuse to accept that 22 grown adults who grew up playing the sport just up and decided to play dry weather football and go against coaches instructions.

... what?

hellfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Oh well. Another year down.

We were insipid for three quarters, inspiring for one. The place was bloody rocking in the last... it would have been pandemonium if we’d snagged another.

I was expecting Grundy to rag doll Mumford in that late stoppage in our goal square.... instead Mumford walked it out and cleared the ball!? Bizarre.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
We desperately need Elliott to stick around next year so that De Goey can play midfield, I know that for certain.

Honestly, the lack of footy over the last month probably affected us as much as it did Richmond in their first half last night. Add to that the fact we just couldn't soak up their momentum in the third and probably just can't handle the wet that well.

I've never walked away from a game or turned a game off but gee I was close tonight. Glad I didn't though.

Honestly if Reid kicks his shot or Mayne had a bit more of a leg, we win. We gave ourselves so much time at the end of that game to win. Just such a shame.

Not sure we would've beaten Richmond... we'll never know.

All the ump decisions and bounces of the ball aside ultimately if we played with the dare shown in the last quarter much earlier we would have won that game quite easily.

wcv1475

Senior List
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Where do we go from here GF loss, Prelim loss what do we need, Grundy is dominating the taps but we are losing the clearances is that midfield coach issues (thinking R Harvey, Carlton mid coach when they were considered one way runners) is it our recruiting like someone mentioned before getting Wells on big contract not being able to get a Tom Lynch as a result. For such a well resourced club we just don't seem to be able to put it together, any one on here with any thoughts

Thomas - only showed up in the last quarter.

Brown - see above.

Mihocek - atrocious

Reid - never liked it, still don’t.

WHE - irrelevant. Would even shop him around during the trade period. Terrible season.

Aish - messy, will never be any more than what he is now.

Mayne - another who only bobbed up when the team was purring.

Sidebottom - no impact, beaten by Perryman.

Pendlebury - De Boer claims another

Treloar - barely noticed him. Had low 20’s but never got going.

Maynard - always have, always will love this kid.

Howe - biggest trade steal ever.

Crisp - cracked in, run and carry was important but went missing in the middle part of the game.

Grundy - can’t knock him, he was almost the difference, but probably should’ve tried to smash it forward and create some chaos in those late stages rather than hitting it to his feet and letting them bottle it up.

Adams - 20 disposals, all kicks, 43% DE. Only 6 contested, he was beaten.

Phillips - there’s a bit of a trend here. Only got to work when the team was hot.

Moore - along with Howe, nearly our best player in the finals. Reminded us what he can do.

Elliott - beaten for most of the day but wasn’t our worst. He’s x-factor and we should be doing everything we can to keep him.

Roughead - played his role. Don’t expect much out of him, lock down and that’s it. He did that.

Noble - easy to hate on him, I get why. Think the enormity of it all got the better of him.

Wills - tackling machine, but always looks rushed.

Stephenson - underwhelming in my opinion. Stats look okay, but didn’t impact when the game was in the balance.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don’t know what to say really. Another classic loss.
Though I’m completely shattered I’ll back up again next year and barrack hard.
We need to schedule match simulation every time it rains next year.
Darcy was incredible again along with Crispy.

lvandinter

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, McLaren F1, Man Utd
It was never our year this year, that loss to Geelong in Round 1, Nearly losing to Carlton and losing to Fremantle along with the beltings in the mid season summed it up perfectly for us.

If we can’t take our chances we cant win. But s**t umpiring sums it up for us.

Just have to admit, It’s us against the world.

Good luck next year boys, going to be a hard few days ahead.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
51 pages about an opposition player getting suspended on our board this week.

To all you arrogant Pies supporters that thought this week was just going to fall in our lap.......I hope you enjoyed that game.

I just got home and I am still livid...........absolutely pathetic performance tonight.

cliffdrabble

Cancelled
Sep 1, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Imagine if we had a bit more room in the salary cap to get Tom Lynch instead of being weighed down with Daniel Wells. Literally the difference...
He was exactly what we needed, but we didn't put the work in to get him. Clubs that win Premierships target quality players, put the work in years before getting them. Lynch was always going to Richmond as they developed a relationship well before we came on the scene. It has been happening for years at Collingwood.

It is typical that what we have now come up with, with no real quality key forward developed for next year is a bloke who is 24 and plays seconds footy at the Swans. It was a similar scenario a couple of years back with Murray. We needed some run off half back, so we pick up a seconds player at Sydney with terrible decision making and questionable disposal.

Our list is in a very ordinary state atm. It is hard to see a Premiership out of this group without the addition of some real A Graders. Not seconds players from Sydney.

soreplums

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2009
malvern
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Red Sox
Think we handled the conditions poorly for the first three quarters. Tried playin dry weather football in a wet weather final. As such when we controlled the game early we couldn’t put enough scoreboard pressure on.

I’m not one to blame umpires as we were mostly responsible for our performance, but the Mumford block for Cameron to kick his goal in the second and the Grundy push in the back from a ruck contest were two of the most blatant frees ever missed

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
I (jokingly) petition to not have Adam start autopsy threads again after a bad loss.

Back the Tigers next week? Have you been hanging with Sam Murray's crew or something fella? Or do you just want to make us all collectively "purge" in preparation for pre-season?

On a more serious note we were shown up again as a very average side for the better part of three quarters today and you nearly always pay the price when that happens.

The writing was on the wall after our abhorrent last 40 minutes of the Geelong game when we appeared to put the cue in the rack.

Both Buckley and our players need to understand that momentum is a powerful thing and if you give it up (willingly or subconsciously) and accept that as the norm then you leave yourself vulnerable to outcomes like this.

There is no "destiny" awaiting any team next season - we all start off even and to be honest we're probably looking at a bit of a slide given that we were lucky to finish top 4 this year and face another tough draw next year.

Last edited:

lvandinter

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, McLaren F1, Man Utd
51 pages about an opposition player getting suspended on our board this week.

To all you arrogant Pies supporters that thought this week was just going to fall in our lap.......I hope you enjoyed that game.

I just got home and I am still livid...........absolutely pathetic performance tonight.
So pissed about about it, read my recent post which tells us our year in a nutshell.
Couldnt even eat dinner tonight, just so stressed and pissed. Let’s hope for the best next year.

Back