Universal Love 'Destiny' by Norman Ashton: How Port Adelaide put itself on the national stage

To those that are Anti-MCG for the grand final. East Perth were willing to play all finals in Victoria.

I guess it's all East of Perth from where they sit ;)

Good job we didn't bid as West Horsham, eh?

Jul 31, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A fascinating read. As an interstater (and not then a footy fan) I do recall being in Adelaide at the time of the court case and the absolute blanket coverage this was getting. No-one was talking about anything else. The takeaways I get from the book are that the SANFL alternately had its head in the clouds and up its backside, and that we were also screwed over by the AFL, who ultimately didn't care where the SA team came from as long as they had one for the start of the new season (and TV deal).

What I did find interesting were the references in the original head agreement that we could keep our colours and uniform except for games against Collingwood. Be nice for that kind of common sense to prevail now.

What I would like to know is why, despite the obvious incompetence and self-interest, some of the key individuals in the original mess are so revered in Adelaide?

PortPortPort

Team Captain
Sep 29, 2022
Port
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When Basheer passes his book will be released and the real story will come out.

There is a reason why he is releasing the book when he dies, i suspect some dodginess.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
When Basheer passes his book will be released and the real story will come out.

There is a reason why he is releasing the book when he dies, i suspect some dodginess.
He has a lot to say about Don Bradman which is the reason why I've heard it's been held back

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Should be the Bruce Weber stand.

It is :)

14792b98611f2aa96ad4e42eb8e59e7b

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He has a lot to say about Don Bradman which is the reason why I've heard it's been held back

The entrance to the Bradman Museum was meant to be inside the room where the silly Adelaide Oval model is in the Riverbank Stand. Don't think too hard who stopped it from being there, there is a reason it's kind of hidden away...

Written by my grandpa , very proud.
Tell grandpa its a great researched account of history, that sets the record straight on many issues.

I regularly refer back to page 56 re Alan Schwab's notes with his first meeting Bruce Weber to discuss entry into the AFL -
Name
The Port Adelaide Football Club would want to retain their name, famous guernsey design (black and white) and nickname - 'Magpies.' This would mean a neutral set of guernseys being required when they play Collingwood. As a person who has seen this club play many times, I cannot imagine them being anything other than Port Adelaide and wearing that guernsey whenever possible. The question of two teams being called the Magpies from a marketing point of view is a real problem to be carefully considered.

Alan Schwab's death in Sydney in mid 1993, when he was sent up there to save them from dying, after the 2nd lot of private owners gave up and handed back their licence was the greatest blow to Port getting to wear the PB design more often and he wouldn't have agreed that we market ourselves as Port Power first and Port Adelaide second for 4 or 5 years. He was the only real football man on the AFL Commission. The rest were business types who would do anything to get an SA team, then a second one into the AFL, and they ignored football history.

I wish he had written and published his book a decade earlier, to have cut out so much BS we had to listen to.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
The entrance to the Bradman Museum was meant to be inside the room where the silly Adelaide Oval model is in the Riverbank Stand. Don't think too hard who stopped it from being there, there is a reason it's kind of hidden away...
Eh Ol' Donny had it coming

On the Campaigner<------>Nicest guy scale I'd have the little Jewish SANFL Gella quite a few rungs above Captain Protestant

Back