Opinion Destruction of the Shinboner Spirit- REBORN 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

So, you are alluding that we do not have talent now to win? You do not open margins on these sides w/out talent. You are armed forces (current / ex), you should know much of this stuff 'above the shoulders'. Honestly, it's about time some players stepped forward and said we are not accepting this anymore. Otherwise, there will always be an excuse...

I can't recall the last time I mentioned that I was in the defence force. How would you know that without either having a previous account or lurking around this forum for months.

Yes I do know that you need mental strength to get through some of the more arduous activities of military life but at the same time those 90's North teams were choc full of very good and great footballers. Discounting that aspect is exactly why the Shinboner Spirit is over exaggerated when it comes to this clubs success.

Honestly, its nothing personal against a poster. But, do you really think its a good read?

The time for brutal analysis was after the WC final last year (analysis happened, but not brutal...this is from a current player)...ie: we were tired / its hard coming to Perth to win a final, etc. Good teams overcome this. I ok with the fact that may be we are not good enough - although, I believe this is selling us short - but, don't pretend you are. A good team does NOT continue to lose close games.
We've lost by margins of 16, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 40-odd points. I believe we're good enough or have at least got the list to be good enough next season. Look at those margins. We're talking about making an improvement of 2-5 percent to win four of those games. It sucks and I'm frustrated but it's nothing to be losing our s**t over.

As for reviewing matches, there was no point in giving a brutal review after the WC final. There was literally nothing to analyse after that game from a player-by-player perspective. We needed a structural changes which we have made, but there is just no reason to run a fine toothed comb over a match where we struggled to even get our hands on the ball.

I can't recall the last time I mentioned that I was in the defence force. How would you know that without either having a previous account or lurking around this forum for months.

^^^This is what I'm getting at. It's been ages since I've seen DR or anybody else mention his time in the ADF.

I actually think that coaching staff throw out the video replays and do a whole night of tackling training.
We are ranked 16th of the league, if we had screwed the pressure on the opposition in the dying minutes and forced just one turn over we should have won. We have to work harder when we dont have the pill.

We have to work harder when we dont have the pill.
Yeah, you see oo, if you'd just said that earlier, you could have saved us all hundreds of posts from the alarmists wailing about the end of the world. ;)

^^^This is what I'm getting at. It's been ages since I've seen DR or anybody else mention his time in the ADF.

Previously I was a reader of this forum, but have not been so much for the past 2 years - due to commitments O/S - hence I know DR's background (of which I have full respect).

I have views & opinions about the footy club that I support, and not everyone will agree (which is ok).

I honestly believe we make far too many excuses when we lose. We were very poor in our last 3 games last year. We should have examined this very closely. The same mentality (in my view), seems to still prevail - close enough is good enough. Its not just the result this week. It was apparent in the first game against C'wood. Brad fronted up to the press conference and said we were steaming home at the end. Fact is, we still lost by more than a goal. That is the only statistic that matters. And really not much has changed since. We are selling ourselves short at the moment...by a long way.

Do your research. I know there is also some ex players looking / quietly posting on this forum. Barrass / Kennedy / Pagan, ALL evoked the Shinboner spirit. We should be proud of it, rather than diluting it. All great organisations have a 'call to arms'. Something that defines them. Deliberately or not, Brad should not have been dismissive of this. I hope hope he is humble enough to acknowledge behind 'closed doors'.

Wait a minute. This is the first time I've ever heard of the term "Shinboner Spirit" pre-dating Pagan's term as coach. I refute your assertion that Barrassi or Kennedy ever used it. I have searched every film and video archive available to me and I can confirm that there is no evidence of either one citing Shinboner Spirit. As you are the first person to claim that they did, perhaps you can do some research to prove your case.

So where does Shinboner Spirit sit in the context of yesterday's win? We started as underdogs and most of our supporters were pretty nervous. The broader media knows we are better than our ladder position suggests but also thinks the Tigers are superior.

I have no contacts at the club at all, but I can just about guarantee Scott's management of the team this week would not have involved invoking the Shinboner Spirit. I mean, just consider how stubborn he allegedly is: why would he backtrack from his previous stance on the issue?

The Shinboner Spirit was equally relevant yesterday as it was against the Suns, Dockers and Crows (that is to say, irrelevant). Of course, we have to vent about something after a loss, and if we can vent about an intangible and immeasurable quantity then all the better I suppose.

So why aren't we discussing the destruction of the Shinboner Spirit today? Is it a matter of principle (and therefore applies win, lose or draw, and should be discussed ad nauseum), or is just a convenient vent topic? My guess is the latter.

So where does Shinboner Spirit sit in the context of yesterday's win? We started as underdogs and most of our supporters were pretty nervous. The broader media knows we are better than our ladder position suggests but also thinks the Tigers are superior.
Nervous? I was quietly confident we would win. Fish had money on us to win. The sentiment from the fellow North supporters I know is that we match up well against Richmond and that the odds flattered the Tigers. Only Clokey felt we had no chance but that's Clokey for you. :stern look

So why aren't we discussing the destruction of the Shinboner Spirit today? Is it a matter of principle (and therefore applies win, lose or draw, and should be discussed ad nauseum), or is just a convenient vent topic? My guess is the latter.

The comments that Scott made at the start of his tenure about Shinboner Spirit are something that can be twisted to be used as a scapegoat any time we lose a game people feel that we should have won.

The reality is we have been incredibly reliant upon kids to stand up and take the lead when things have gotten tough.

Yesterday there was no lack of leadership on field. We also played with 4 genuine hard bodies around the ball.

I predict that games where Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington, and Greenwood all play together none of the nonsense scapgoating will occur.

Wait until those that are in our 22 and drafted from Ziebell onwards are 80 games plus, a legitimate core of mature players.

North Melbourne hard at the man hard at the ball and everyone will know it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But not hardness, or flukey backs to the wall wins, alone... talent too!

They will bring it to every contest.

What we have seen is just the beginning Spitz, Ziebs, Cunners, Levi, they are just the start.

We'll have a team of blokes who don't take a backwards step, play their role and are skilled doing it.

...and this would be the second time in 24hrs that you have queried something I have written weeks ago.

Bored or something or trolling through a hit list of people who posted over the past month UseYourIllusion...? I would expect that it would be a long list ...good luck to you.

I don't have to justify anything on here about going with the good, bad or otherwise regarding performance, ethos or culture or lack thereof...regulars know my thoughts on 'peripheral' supporters and their scapegoating threads and this extends back to the Shannon Watt years. Unsurprisingly, the board today is back to its usual 'ho hum' not much happening after a sensational win yesterday.

Lets hope that the tough tackling, talking, and on field instruction and defensive efforts both offensively and defensively, I saw and heard from the top of Level 3 continues over the remainder of the season.

As always go Roos!

...and this would be the second time in 24hrs that you have queried something I have written weeks ago.
What? The Hodge thing? I was just explaining my perspective and last night was a very pertinent example.
Bored or something or trolling through a hit list of people who posted over the past month UseYourIllusion...? I would expect that it would be a long list ...good luck to you.
I got almost everybody on the hit list with this one bump, and the point stands. There is no harm in reflecting on our efforts as supporters.

What? The Hodge thing? I was just explaining my perspective and last night was a very pertinent example.

I got almost everybody on the hit list with this one bump, and the point stands. There is no harm in reflecting on our efforts as supporters.

Did you also make a comment when Hodge was BOG?

You point is we cant whinge after what was one of the most devastating loses of the past decade...the night of the Crows game...and all those that followed thereafter.

Give us all a break.

Did you also make a comment when Hodge was BOG?
I've acknowledged Hodge is a very good player, but like it or not since 2010 he has disappeared in big moments more often than he has stepped up.

You point is we cant whinge after what was one of the most devastating loses of the past decade...the night of the Crows game...and all those that followed thereafter.

Give us all a break.

Culture and what it entails is either present in its form constantly or absent constantly. Did we play with the Shinboner Spirit yesterday? No, and we won. Did we play with the Shinboner Spirit against Adelaide? No, and we lost. The question of Shinboner Spirit and its relevance to the club is equally valid win, lose or draw because it is inherent. I'm just asking why the usual suspects aren't up in arms about the absence of Shinboner Spirit after a win just like they were after the Adelaide game.

I've acknowledged Hodge is a very good player, but like it or not since 2010 he has disappeared in big moments more often than he has stepped up.

Culture and what it entails is either present in its form constantly or absent constantly. Did we play with the Shinboner Spirit yesterday? No, and we won. Did we play with the Shinboner Spirit against Adelaide? No, and we lost. The question of Shinboner Spirit and its relevance to the club is equally valid win, lose or draw because it is inherent. I'm just asking why the usual suspects aren't up in arms about the absence of Shinboner Spirit after a win just like they were after the Adelaide game.

I now don't know if you are being serious or not.

Cest la vie.

I now don't know if you are being serious or not.

Cest la vie.

I asked:

The culture is present 24-7. Do you have a problem with our culture? If so, the question is equally valid if we win or lose because our culture is the same, win or lose.

I asked:

The culture is present 24-7. Do you have a problem with our culture? If so, the question is equally valid if we win or lose because our culture is the same, win or lose.

I do. I want to know what the mental difference is between what I saw on Saturday compared to the dismal efforts thrown up against the Dockers, GC and the fade outs were. My OP posed the question as to what does this team stand for in the absence of SS. I am not in the inner sanctum so I think it is a fair question to ask considering we lost a game that day against the Crowes that we should not have lost.

But if you think myself or anyone else for that matter has to come on here each week and reopen a thread because we won or lost to prove a point you are seriously taking us all for fools. Grow up ffs.

I do. I want to know what the mental difference is between what I saw on Saturday compared to the dismal efforts thrown up against the Dockers, GC and the fade outs were. My OP posed the question as to what does this team stand for in the absence of SS. I am not in the inner sanctum so I think it is a fair question to ask considering we lost a game that day against the Crowes that we should not have lost.

IMHO its contested mids able to step up in the contest when the heat is on.

Its got SFA to do with Shinboner Spirit.

It has everything to do with Ziebs, Cunners, Spitta, Levi and Patch.

Add to that we have a quick defensive mid in Hine who shut out one of their main runners.

It's been too much for too few for too long.

These blokes in form will go a hell of a long way to win games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back