Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Reacher

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
No,he is screwing up the temperature on the players. Using his own words, his own speech and twisting it in a way where he is shaping it in a way where the players think its an "us against them" attitude. Next year physically our players are ready, a natural progress but its the extra 5% is where he is hoping to find is from the mental approach our players take into every game---> hatred/anger, killer attitude if you will.
Its definitely the area we can improve on.
+

He's already had 4 years to instil that in them, how long do we give him, one more year for mine, top 8 and 1 finals victory or bust!

UmpiringFooty

Proud member of the BFUA
Jun 16, 2013
Goal umpiring at a local footy ground near you
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Geelong
Ok this is my opinion to all of this and look I'm happy if everyone disagrees with me on this.
I think Brad Scott's option to take away the shinboner spirit was the right option early on because he was teaching the kids on the list how to play at the elite level. He's now going up a notch and bringing it back because he can see that the playing list need it. So they can all learn about it together.
You can't expect kids to know about the shinboner spirit when they first join the club. It's an education process. A bit like learning how to drive a car.

LT Smash

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2011
Ogdenville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes it was the right decision to park the marketing exercise that is "Shinboner Spirit" for a couple of years just as big name companies often let their advertising jingles have a rest before bringing them back. But if y'all want to believe that this fictional notion invented by Denis Pagan actually helps to win games of football, then I've got a free personality test that I'd like to offer you down at the "church".

NiceCunnington

Premiership Player
Nov 8, 2009
Altona Video Ezy
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hamish McIntosh
It is only the really dumb supporters and Scott haters who interpreted that speech as "destruction of the Shinboner Spirit".

A bit harsh but yeah. He was painfully misunderstood. It's almost as if nobody actually heard the speech or read the quotes but just heard by word of mouth that "Brad Scott wants to kill the Shinboner Spirit!"

A bit harsh but yeah. He was painfully misunderstood. It's almost as if nobody actually heard the speech or read the quotes but just heard by word of mouth that "Brad Scott wants to kill the Shinboner Spirit!"

Sounds like shut up and buy a membership to me.

Mr. Blonde

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Most heard what he said and interpreted it the right way. A very select few (and vocal few) took it the wrong way.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's perhaps easier to blame the "loss" of intangible and unquantifiable things for losses than accept the "short term pain for long term gain" road that we've been on/are on. Who really enjoyed the 2000's all that much?
I certainly didn't enjoy the club being patronised in victory, which is what the "shinboner spirit" being thrown around often amounted to.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I certainly didn't enjoy the club being patronised in victory, which is what the "shinboner spirit" being thrown around often amounted to.

Exactly.

"Shinboner Spirit" had become a euphemism for a down trodden, down on it's luck club for whom every victory was a "win against the odds". That bullshit needed to stop.

Scott was (and still is) eager to rid the club of that perception. We have the facilities, medical staff etc which are the equal of anyone. We are not down on our luck or down trodden anymore.

All he is saying is let's use the Shinboner Spirit tag for positive reasons rather than the negative connotations that it used to have. He's right. We need to reclaim it and redefine it.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't care what corporate line everyone wants to toe, the fact is Brad made what has proven to be a rare communication error when he brought this up at the start of his reign.

"Shinboner Spirit" might be a handy marketing tag, but it is a perfectly apt description of the intangible will to fight that all North supporters identify with and feel proud of.

Yes it references being downtrodden, but does that not still have context? Look at how many FTA games we get. Look at our Friday nights. Watch us having to report to the AFL because we're on the "drip", and the negative connotations of that.

We then find ourselves in games - especially in the first half of last year, and far too regularly this year - where we seem to be running one way, our tackles don't stick and our desperation rightly comes under question.

A bloke as gifted in verbal communication as Brad would know full well upon reflection that his questioning Shinboner Spirit, as a virtual outsider at the time, would bite him in the backside every time the team doesn't appear to be putting in 100%.

He may have been taken out of context, but that's not necessarily the fault of his audience. Particularly when there seems to be enough of us confused that he felt the need to clarify and re-align his message last night.

I'm on record as a Brad Scott fan, and nothing has changed my mind on that. But to suggest some sort of disloyal treachery or stupidity or hidden agendas from those who who brought into question his disregard for the concept? That is every bit as blinkered and unfair as what you are accusing the critics of being.

Just finally, I can state for a fact that Gasometer is a loyal and dedicated lifelong North Melbourne man, and anyone thinking that starting this thread was some sort of anti-Brad or anti-NMFC agenda is seriously mistaken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
+

He's already had 4 years to instil that in them, how long do we give him, one more year for mine, top 8 and 1 finals victory or bust!
JR you only have to see that tongue in cheek video on how Scott can only behave behind closed doors. The 4 yrs you mention was to allow this young group to gel together in an environment they want to be in.........and with all the deals signed, Cunners, Black etc etc etc Scott and the club has achieved this. As Ive said before its a natural progression where players stop honouring, respecting their opponents and start wanting to throttle them. There are signs there this years where at different moments throughout the year different players start to display this.
This attitude easily flows from more senior players into the younger players gradually over time but this group have had to do this stone cold from too fewer players dating back to our list management days in the Laidley era. We have suffered long enough its true but by jesus those people working behind the scenes have done a mighty job to:-
1. get this group together.
2. keep them together to have a serious tilt in 2015/6.

JR you only have to see that tongue in cheek video on how Scott can only behave behind closed doors. The 4 yrs you mention was to allow this young group to gel together in an environment they want to be in.........and with all the deals signed, Cunners, Black etc etc etc Scott and the club has achieved this. As Ive said before its a natural progression where players stop honouring, respecting their opponents and start wanting to throttle them. There are signs there this years where at different moments throughout the year different players start to display this.
This attitude easily flows from more senior players into the younger players gradually over time but this group have had to do this stone cold from too fewer players dating back to our list management days in the Laidley era. We have suffered long enough its true but by jesus those people working behind the scenes have done a mighty job to:-
1. get this group together.
2. keep them together to have a serious tilt in 2015/6.
3. Jack Ziebell

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I don't care what corporate line everyone wants to toe, the fact is Brad made what has proven to be a rare communication error when he brought this up at the start of his reign.

"Shinboner Spirit" might be a handy marketing tag, but it is a perfectly apt description of the intangible will to fight that all North supporters identify with and feel proud of.

Yes it references being downtrodden, but does that not still have context? Look at how many FTA games we get. Look at our Friday nights. Watch us having to report to the AFL because we're on the "drip", and the negative connotations of that.

We then find ourselves in games - especially in the first half of last year, and far too regularly this year - where we seem to be running one way, our tackles don't stick and our desperation rightly comes under question.

A bloke as gifted in verbal communication as Brad would know full well upon reflection that his questioning Shinboner Spirit, as a virtual outsider at the time, would bite him in the backside every time the team doesn't appear to be putting in 100%.

He may have been taken out of context, but that's not necessarily the fault of his audience. Particularly when there seems to be enough of us confused that he felt the need to clarify and re-align his message last night.

I'm on record as a Brad Scott fan, and nothing has changed my mind on that. But to suggest some sort of disloyal treachery or stupidity or hidden agendas from those who who brought into question his disregard for the concept? That is every bit as blinkered and unfair as what you are accusing the critics of being.

Just finally, I can state for a fact that Gasometer is a loyal and dedicated lifelong North Melbourne man, and anyone thinking that starting this thread was some sort of anti-Brad or anti-NMFC agenda is seriously mistaken.

We must meet in person one day Orange Peanut....you speak a lot of sense.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can't recall the last time I mentioned that I was in the defence force. How would you know that without either having a previous account or lurking around this forum for months.

Yes I do know that you need mental strength to get through some of the more arduous activities of military life but at the same time those 90's North teams were choc full of very good and great footballers. Discounting that aspect is exactly why the Shinboner Spirit is over exaggerated when it comes to this clubs success.
You did once DR......it happened this year probably stoushing against me.:p

Time to reload my OP from 2014.

It is still applicable 14 months on, the gist being...

"If not the Shinboner Spirit....what is the ethos/culture, whatever of this current playing group?"
11_DSN_44632_DsnyFairies.jpg

To continue the theme of the last few weeks.

Not sure about Shinnboner spirit being dead or alive, but I reckon if we could somehow pause Pagan's real estate career for the rest of the 2014 and have him coach out the season, given that we have assistants who are experts in modern game, I reckon we'd win nearly every game. What we need isn't a tactical break through, but a good old fashion motivator at the moment.

What is this definition exactly?

I prefer Showbags.

And we are Mushrooms.

It was mentioned that the Cats were once known as The Handbaggers, I think meaning they had a hard outer shell but a soft underbelly which was full of crap, leading to losses in seemingly unlosable games. Our record in recent years of doing similar was the comparison used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back