PS4 Detroit: Become Human

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Played through all 6 endings in the demo and completed 91% of the timeline options. With how some of them end im intrigued how those will effect the overall story arc, so count me in for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Been playing Beyond two souls to psyche myself up for Detroit - free game this month for PS Plus. Played the demo of Beyond back on the PS3 when it came out but it didn't really do much for me and I have to say, playing the full game now, it's still the same - I think the focus of Quantic Dream wanting to tell a story kind of hurts the game (lots of quick time sequences I've found you can't actually fail even if you try - I guess they want to push the narrative forward so you get railroaded a lot). I suppose if you only have 1 playable character (Jodie), you can't progress the game if they were to die. Generally, just not as fun as Heavy Rain or Until Dawn were IMO due to the lack of consequences for your actions.

I played the demo of Detroit at PAX last year (hostage negotiation level) and thankfully that was a welcome step back to the Heavy Rain mechanics with lots of branching storylines based on the choices and outcomes of your actions Pretty keen for this!

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Picked it up today, and enjoyed what I've played so far. Feel's like you're watching a movie at times, only played it for an hour, and unsure if I'll have time this weekend, but already itching to play it again.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2008
This post
AFL Club
Richmond
So I'm around 15 chapters in. Wanted to offer some dot-point observations:

• Completely feels like a Quantum/Cage game. The way characters move, the dialogue options. The (cutie) talking head at the main menu screen - makes you feel immersed as soon as you fire up the game.
  • One of the best looking games I've ever played. Motion capture is A++.
  • The soundtrack is brilliant as well, really heightens the intended mood of each scene. Big moments have felt like big moments, while more emotional decisions/actions have been complimented by an appropiate background score.
  • Love the subtle and effective ways in which we see Connor, Kara & Markus' motivations change throughout their journies. Some very good story telling here.
  • The red 'breaking protocol' scenes/choices for each character make quite an impact.
  • I've been a Telltale fan for a long time, even if I felt their mechanic had become a bit stale. THIS IS HOW YOU DO CHOICE-BASED NARRATIVES.
  • Very interesting to look back at each chapter's flowchart to figure out the 'sliding doors' moments. I've gone back two times to replay certain events as I didn't like the outcome the first time. Both involved Connor, the character I feel most invested in.
  • There's probably some recency bias here, but I'm having more fun with this than God of War.

Power's been off here for most of the day - so jumping on now to finish.

Feb 23, 2008
This post
AFL Club
Richmond
Just finished the game and here's where I'm at with Detroit:

Clear Game of the Year (sorry Kratos).

Could be the best game I've played.

Will need to give it more thought to how I felt post Last of Us & Mass Effect 2.

Such a fantastic experience playing through.

Sign me up for anything David cage does in the future.

Last edited:
Haven't checked any reviews yet but IMO seems like a strong return to form for Quantic Dream after Beyond two souls. Feels like a true successor to Heavy Rain in every way with beefed up graphics, gripping storytelling, strong characters and exploration of various themes.

Motion capture, voice acting, character animations are top notch. I also feel like the 3 playable characters (at least the ones I've played - not sure if there are more) are all unique and have compelling story arcs that have started overlapping (I'm roughly 12 chapters in I think). Even doing the mundane tasks like house work doesn't really feel boring.

I also reckon a lot of the choices seem to have more weight behind them and far wider consequences. I haven't had much exposure to it yet but the game world shows the simmering relations between humans and androids and I'm guessing the actions of the playable characters will ultimately impact public opinion and affect the story. The fact sometimes you are timed to make a decision adds to the pressure. Hopefully we'll see some DLC or something (I remember Heavy Rain was meant to have those standalone chronicles but I think they only ever released 1) to keep people playing - there's lots of replay-ability anyway so I'll definitely go back and try different things.

Love the setting too - very Deus Ex (coincidentally now that I think of it - Human Revolution was set in Detroit too IIRC).

Back