Teams Detroit Lions - Honolulu Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell is a joke, should be one and done. Hes all hot air and no brains. Genuine meathead. Not HC material. Too emotional.

Yeah, he strikes me as just like Ricky Stuart in the NRL (these type of coaches were good back in the day, not so much today)

Campbell clearly didn’t know the rule judging by his reaction when he had it explained to him by the official.

I also don’t know how coming out of a timeout, the defence isn’t on the same page and nobody has any idea what they are doing. What were they doing during the timeout?

Not enough blame going to Jared Goff, genuinely sh*t QB. Hes an absolute pussy.
Not having good receivers doesnt help, also probably scares him from making aggressive throws. Too worried about turnovers, beaten into his head. Needs to see separation before throwing.

Or, just the way you said it is better.

Not having good receivers doesnt help, also probably scares him from making aggressive throws. Too worried about turnovers, beaten into his head. Needs to see separation before throwing.

Or, just the way you said it is better.

I agree having terrible receivers doesn't help but hes got zero confidence, too scared of turning the ball over so plays over safe. Youre not going to ever make it as QB if you dont take risks though, hes mentally beyond repair at this point. Completely broken.

Goff needs to start playing like he doesn't give a *, only then will he get over the mental state hes in now.

I went thru a form slump in cricket that lasted an entire season, started in the ones and ended up in the fourths by the end of the season so bad was my form, I changed what I was, had teammates telling me to just occupy the crease and take my time, ruined me for the entire season, I was so scared of getting out that I wouldn't play my normal game and attack anything, made me easy to bowl to, could set up fielders in attacking positions and just wait for me to make a mistake. Felt like I was never going to get out of it. The next season I came back and said to myself I dont give a * what others want me to do im just going to be overly aggressive , even more than I usually was in years past, become a slogger, it actually worked, ended up making 5 consecutive 50s+ in the thirds and seconds to start the year and never looked back or went thru a rut like that again.

Its amazing how much your own mind and trying to please others can * you up. You do you. Its the only way.

Lions dedicate win to victims of Oxford High School shooting

Posted by Charean Williams on December 5, 2021, 7:27 PM EST

Lions coach Dan Campbell walked to the podium holding the game ball after the team’s first victory of the season. He announced the Lions are awarding it to the victims of the Oxford High School shooting.

“I want us to not forget these names: Madisyn Baldwin, Hana St. Juliana, Justin Shilling, Tate Myre, John Asciutto, Riley Franz, Elijah Mueller, Kylie Ossege and Aiden Watson and Molly Darnell, who’s a teacher,” Campbell said, via Edward Sutelan of the Sporting News. “Those names for all those will never be forgotten. They’re in our hearts and our prayers and all the families and not to mention all those that were affected by all of this. The classmates, brothers and sisters and cousins to teachers, everybody, coaches.”

Four students were killed and seven others injured Tuesday at the school located an hour north of Ford Field. Jared Goff, who threw the game-winning touchdown on the final play, wore an Oxford hat to his postgame news conference.

“Sometimes special things happen in special circumstances and I think you saw yesterday what Michigan did against Iowa, and then us today getting our first win in what is it 12, 13 weeks,” Goff said. “I hope they were all watching today and were able to enjoy that win and we could take their minds off it for whatever it may be, three hours. I think any time that we can do that, it’s a lot bigger than our sport; it’s a lot bigger than us and I thought today was one of those special circumstances that we were able to rise to the occasion and make something special happen.”

The Lions honored the victims before the game with a moment of silence, and they wore Oxford decals on the back of their helmets during the game. Lions safety Jalen Elliott memorialized Myre, an Oxford football player, by wearing Myre’s name with his jersey. Myre’s jersey number was 42, the same as Elliott’s.

“We talked about this yesterday morning. I mean we just really kinda dove into it, kinda the depth of all this and just wanted them to know exactly what we were going to represent today,” Campbell said. “The shirts, the hats, the decals, the people that are affected. And some of our players know of someone that was affected, and so yeah, I mean I think there was some of that and I think all of them as well like to me, I just my thought was, ‘Hey man, if we can for three hours just ease their suffering a little bit, that’s worth it. That’s worth it.’ So that’s kinda how I thought of this, and we did a great job. Players, they responded, played well.”

Lions OC Anthony Lynn expects Jared Goff to take more deep shots the final five weeks of the regular season.

Lynn described Goff as a "trust" quarterback, and believes his receivers "are earning his trust more by making plays for him down the field." Those words are paraphrased by Lions reporter Tim Twentyman. It sounds silly, but this actually has been borne out by the results since the Lions acquired ex-Rams/Goff field stretcher Josh Reynolds. Goff has been throwing down the field more and the overall passing attack has been far more competent, including short-area compiler Amon-Ra St. Brown. Goff — don't shoot the messenger — was the NFC player of the week for Week 13. The Broncos and Cardinals are tough QB2 matchups before easier dates with Atlanta and Seattle.

SOURCE: detroitlions.com
Dec 9, 2021, 1:48 PM ET

Anthony Lynn plans to figure out future with Lions “when the time comes”

Posted by Myles Simmons on December 24, 2021, 9:59 AM EST

The Lions were struggling when head coach Dan Campbell took over offensive play-calling duties in mid-November.

Since then, Detroit has won a couple of games scoring 29 points against the Vikings and 30 in last week’s victory over the Cardinals.

Offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn was effectively demoted, as he’d previously called the plays. He has said he’s comfortable in the restructured role, but that doesn’t mean he likes it.

So as the season nears its end, Lynn’s future with the Lions is certainly in question. But it’s not something he’s ready to address.

“You talk about next year, I’m just trying to get through the day,” Lynn said Thursday, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “I really focus on staying in the present and trying to help Dan Campbell and this offense as much as I can. And if I do that, next year will take care of itself. We’ll figure that out when the time comes.”

Lynn said that in his revised coordinator role he’s doing everything but calling plays.

“The head coach still asks for your advice on this and that,” Lynn said. “But it’s different. It’s not the role that I came here for, but it’s still a role and we’re still trying to help the Lions win football games.”

Lynn, 53, compiled a 33-31 record as the Chargers’ head coach from 2017-2020, making the postseason in 2018. He noted that he is interested in being a head coach again.

“I think we’re always evolving and things change,” he said. “Yeah, if the opportunity presented itself to try to help — but this is my opportunity right now, so I can’t even think outside of this opportunity. So it’s just best to stay in the present.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dan Campbell on if Jared Goff can be Lions long-term QB: “I don’t see why not”

Posted by Myles Simmons on December 28, 2021, 9:04 AM EST

The Lions didn’t draft a quarterback early in the 2021 draft, opting to roll with quarterback Jared Goff for at least one season.

But Goff, who turned 27 in October, still has the potential to be Detroit’s QB1 for several seasons to come.

Goff has won two of his last three starts for the Lions. And his progress over the course of the year can give Detroit some flexibility for the upcoming offseason.

Head coach Dan Campbell was asked in a Tuesday interview on 97.1 The Ticket if Goff can be the Lions’ long-term quarterback.

“Yeah, I mean, I don’t see why not,” Campbell said, via Justin Rogers of the Detroit News. “He’s playing pretty good ball right now.”

While that may not be the strongest endorsement, it essentially puts the ball in Goff’s court to continue to play well and claim the job as his own.

The quarterback’s last start was his best of the season, as he completed 21-of-26 passes for 216 yards with three touchdowns and no turnovers when the Lions beat the Cardinals 30-12. That was good for a 139.7 passer rating — his highest mark of the season.

Overall, Goff has competed 67 percent off his passes for 3,007 yards with 17 touchdowns and eight interceptions in 2021. He’s also fumbled nine times losing six of them.

With Goff’s contract, it’s unlikely the Lions would part ways with him anyway before 2023. But the former No. 1 overall pick continuing to play well would likely make everyone feel better about Detroit’s QB situation entering 2022.

MLive’s Kyle Meinke believes Jared Goff “might have played himself into the conversation” as Detroit’s long-term quarterback.​

Goff set team records despite missing three games in his first year in Detroit, throwing for 3,245 yards, a 19:8 TD/INT ratio and 91.5 passer rating. Most of that came down the stretch — Goff’s rating spiked 15 points (107.1) and he completed 72% of his passes in his final five games after coach Dan Campbell took over playcalling. With a support cast that featured Josh Reynolds and Amon-Ra St. Brown as his top receivers, the Lions are warming to Goff as more than a short-term answer and could build around him rather than replace Goff with one of their two first-round picks or projected $25 million in cap space. Goff’s contract ($30.5M dead cap hit) sets up for at least two seasons in Detroit. The question is whether the Lions are sold on him as their franchise quarterback.

SOURCE: MLive.com
Jan 21, 2022, 7:27 PM ET

Give him more weapons and a beastly OL, he CAN be above-average. Has it in him. Remember that game vs the Vikings when he threw for 5 TDs in the first half as a Ram. Decisive vertical throws, a lot of them beautifully clutch.

He's a #1 overall type of talent. Whereas if you draft from the current QB draft class, they're not as highly rated. Tho I reckon Kenny Pickett is da bomb. And Carson Strong is decent.

Give him more weapons and a beastly OL, he CAN be above-average. Has it in him. Remember that game vs the Vikings when he threw for 5 TDs in the first half as a Ram. Decisive vertical throws, a lot of them beautifully clutch.

He's a #1 overall type of talent. Whereas if you draft from the current QB draft class, they're not as highly rated. Tho I reckon Kenny Pickett is da bomb. And Carson Strong is decent.

id stick with Goff another year and bolster other positions, I dont think hes the long term answer however

He's average/above-average. Not elite. Goff, Wentz, Mariota, Winston, Cousins, Carr, all those types. Not crap but not near the elite few.

Draft another QB next year, with so many holes still to fill this isn't the draft to get thirsty for a QB over especially as early as the Lions are picking.

It makes sense that Goff is the guy for next season at least and then it is TBD after that.

Taking on the contract always meant it was likely he would get at least 2 seasons as QB1 and then it becomes a realistic option for the team to move on and take the cap hit for the last 2 seasons.

The 19:8 ratio and completion percentage look good, but a lot of it was safe throws short of the first down marker. I’m not sure if that’s due to Goff’s limitations or the talent of their receiving crop he’s working with. The fumbles were the disappointing part of Goff’s play.

There are still a lot of holes on the roster and I hope the first rounders aren’t used on a QB. I think take whichever pass rusher is left over at 2 and then maybe a WR with the Rams pick?

There will be another early pick next year and the Rams pick as well, so should be using those assets to find a QB.

It makes sense that Goff is the guy for next season at least and then it is TBD after that.

Taking on the contract always meant it was likely he would get at least 2 seasons as QB1 and then it becomes a realistic option for the team to move on and take the cap hit for the last 2 seasons.

The 19:8 ratio and completion percentage look good, but a lot of it was safe throws short of the first down marker. I’m not sure if that’s due to Goff’s limitations or the talent of their receiving crop he’s working with. The fumbles were the disappointing part of Goff’s play.

There are still a lot of holes on the roster and I hope the first rounders aren’t used on a QB. I think take whichever pass rusher is left over at 2 and then maybe a WR with the Rams pick?

There will be another early pick next year and the Rams pick as well, so should be using those assets to find a QB.
Smartest path forward. Give him another year. Add weapons, build the OL and D. You won't ever eliminate the aggravating fumbles by Goff, that's just part of his game. But he is not a horrible QB by any means. He just needs a strong OL and some weapons. Like most pocket passers need to be effective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back