Teams Detroit Lions - Honolulu Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions apparently also let 8 staffers go in the last two weeks for links to the same "betting in the building" issue.

The fact it was so prevalent probably says a fair bit about management culture and focus, TBF.

Lions GM Brad Holmes said the team has had a “good dialogue” with Jared Goff on a potential contract extension.

Holmes used the “good dialogue” line earlier in the offseason, so it’s not clear if any progress has been made since then. Holmes declined to say if he thought a deal would get done before the start of the season. Goff currently has the 11th-highest cap hit of any quarterback in 2024 and will become a free agent in 2025, giving the Lions some time before they have to make any decisions. If Goff can get his team over the hump and make the playoffs this year, he’ll have plenty of leverage in contract negotiations. On the other hand, if he doesn’t take the next step, Detroit will likely be stuck looking for a new long-term answer at the most important position in football.

9h ago
Source: Detroit Free Press

Asking a bit much there for a RB also expected to carry the ball 15-20 times a game....

Lions.com’s Tim Twentyman believes Jahmyr Gibbs could function as the team’s primary downfield pass-catching threat.

With no Jameson Williams (suspension) and DJ Chark signing with Carolina this offseason, Detroit comes into 2023 without a clear-cut deep ball threat. Per Twentyman, Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson “said vertical threats don’t have to be receivers so that’s one thing to watch out for with Gibbs.” Twentyman said Gibbs, the Lions’ first round pick, “made a ton of catches down the field in training camp and I think that’s something we could see that is a little unconventional from other pass-catching backs around the league.” It would be quite unique for a running back to serve as a team’s downfield pass catcher, and it wouldn’t necessarily be good for Gibbs’ fantasy prospects. Both Gibbs and backfield mate David Montgomery should be started in 12-team leagues this week against the Chiefs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We’re in the draft room literally months into his tenure — and he wore the black when he was here — and he said, ‘Rod, when can we get the black jerseys back?’ I said, ‘I’ll make a deal, when you win the division I’ll bring the black jerseys back.’ So I went out on a limb, and thankfully, he delivered. That’s a true story,” Wood told reporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back