Teams Detroit Lions - Honolulu Blue

Remove this Banner Ad

Ziggy OUT again this week. Time to piss him off. Glad I got that Ansah jersey a few years ago, he's played about 3 games since then.

Oh yeah, the defence is still s**t. Is too late to get Tahir Whitehead back? Never thought I'd say that, but Davis is clueless. Has no feel for the game. Our ability to stop the run game is dreadful.

The run game didn't have much impact today apart from a couple of big runs from Johnson. The passing game was decent enough. I like Luke Wilson. He doesn't rack up a lot of catches, but * me he can block.

Disappointing day, but that was mainly the defences fault today

We're cooking now boys. The whole team is really starting to click. Run game is great and Kerryon is such a clever running, so elusive. The pass rush looks so dynamic with a great spread of guys getting to the QB. Tough run of games coming up, but all winnable and the division has evened up now.

We're cooking now boys. The whole team is really starting to click. Run game is great and Kerryon is such a clever running, so elusive. The pass rush looks so dynamic with a great spread of guys getting to the QB. Tough run of games coming up, but all winnable and the division has evened up now.

The other benefit is that a strong running game compliments Stafford and is making him a much more threatening QB now, as the opposition has to now think about defending Johnson’s runs, which opens up the passing opportunities for Stafford. It’s also interesting looking back at some draft grades from last year and some of the criticism given out for trading up the 8 spots to draft Johnson. It looks a pretty good decision now.

The other benefit is that a strong running game compliments Stafford and is making him a much more threatening QB now, as the opposition has to now think about defending Johnson’s runs, which opens up the passing opportunities for Stafford. It’s also interesting looking back at some draft grades from last year and some of the criticism given out for trading up the 8 spots to draft Johnson. It looks a pretty good decision now.
He looks like a smart runner with good patience. A bit like Leveon Bell with that ability to wait for a gap and creep his way through

Stopped watching about halfway through the 3rd QTR. Couldn't be assed watching that s**t show anymore and had that feeling you get when you know we aren't going to to put it together.

Just when you start thinking its clicking we revert to back to stink town. You know your run stopping is butt cheeks when 7 weeks in you've had names like Crowell, Breida and Carson put 100 yards on you. How is it still so bad. Carson was carrying 2 and 3 guys for extra yards.

We seriously need to trade for another CB too or get one in the first 2 rounds next draft, coz we cannot keep playing Lawson and Tabor. * me, those 2 couldn't break up a fight between 2 toddlers. Tabor looks like being one one of the biggest reaches/busts I've seen. So ******* slow. We already knew Lawson was s**t. What happened to Shead? Bad trainer?

We're going to need to win the majority of our division games to be any shot now.

My fav Golden Tate play/moment for the Lions, walk off TD in OT vs the Vikings:

qG6ahTf.gif

That jump and spin into the end zone was epic, looks like the type of move a WWE wrestler would use to "finish" his opponent.

s**t it's hard seeing Tate with another team. It's only my 4th year supporting the Lions, so he's only ever been a Lion to me apart from old Seahawks pics. Hopefully Powell can take over his role in time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This team suuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkksssss. O-line has turned to wet poo, Stafford is playing s**t and our secondary is good awful. Slay is still getting it done, but Quin is looking a bit cooked, Diggs is 5 foot 2 and is getting lined up on tight ends Lawson and Tabor are butt cheeks. Tabor can * right off, he's a slow penalty machine.

Matt Patricia says Lions are committed to Matthew Stafford
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 28, 2018, 11:16 AM EST
GettyImages-1022846526-e1546013760820.jpg

Getty Images

Lions head coach Matt Patricia says he sees no changes coming at the quarterback position.

Matthew Stafford is the Lions’ franchise quarterback and will remain the Lions’ franchise quarterback, Patricia said today.

“We’re in a situation where Matt Stafford‘s our quarterback. That’s what it is. I think the world of the guy,” Patricia said.

Stafford has struggled through a bad season, and is poised to finish with his first season with less than 4,000 passing yards of any full season of his career. That has raised many questions about whether Stafford really ought to be the quarterback going forward.

But realistically, there’s no way out of the enormous contract the Lions gave Stafford a year and a half ago. The Lions are stuck with Stafford in 2019. Patricia says he embraces that.

Matthew Stafford not as firm with Jim Bob Cooter endorsement this year
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 28, 2018, 6:08 AM EST
GettyImages-1067726024-1-e1545995252641.jpg

Getty Images

If Matt Patricia keeps his job in Detroit after a disappointing rookie season (and they should make him wait 45 minutes to tell him), there figures to be a significant degree of change around him.

And while Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has been willing to lobby for offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter in the past, he was more circumspect this time through.

I’ve always enjoyed working with Jim Bob,” Stafford said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “I think he’s a smart coach. I’ve had a lot of success under him. We’ve scored a bunch of points and done a lot of really good things under him.”

He would not say what he’d tell Patricia if his boss asked his opinion, saying: “He hasn’t asked me.”

Stafford probably loves Cooter just as much as he always has, but he may just see the writing on the wall.

Unless he throws for 490 yards against the Packers, he’ll finish under 4,000 yards for the first time since 2010. He has 19 touchdowns, 10 off last year’s total, and is averaging 6.7 yards per pass attempt, his worst number in that category since 2012.

“We just haven’t made as many big plays,” Stafford said. “I think that’s a big part of it. Just haven’t done a good enough job executing in the passing game for me. I can always play better and can find ways to be better for sure.”

They didn’t do Stafford or Cooter any favors by trading wide receiver Golden Tate, and then most of the rest of the Lions playmakers got hurt. But faced with another offseason, Stafford isn’t pushing as hard for Cooter as he was a year ago.

That'd be pretty interesting if the Lions fired Patricia after just a single season.
But, bros, haven't you heard? Never hire a Belichick understudy.

------------

After meeting with Lions’ owner, Matt Patricia “pretty confident” he’s safe
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 27, 2018, 5:23 AM EST
GettyImages-1074137384-1-e1545906199489.jpg

Getty Images

Lions coach Matt Patricia does not believe he is on the hot seat.

Patricia, who took over a 9-7 Lions team and is 5-10 in his first season, said on Wednesday that he’d just had a meeting with Lions owner Martha Ford (one he presumably showed up on time to) and is “pretty confident” he’s going to keep his job.

“Everything for me right now is just keep moving forward and getting ready for the game this weekend,” Patricia said.

Patricia avoided questions about whether he’ll make changes to his coaching staff, but offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, whom Patricia inherited from former coach Jim Caldwell’s staff, seems likely to get fired. The Lions clearly have to make some changes, and if Patricia isn’t out, then he’ll probably fire some of his assistants to take the heat off himself.

That'd be pretty interesting if the Lions fired Patricia after just a single season.
But, bros, haven't you heard? Never hire a Belichick understudy.

------------

After meeting with Lions’ owner, Matt Patricia “pretty confident” he’s safe
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 27, 2018, 5:23 AM EST
GettyImages-1074137384-1-e1545906199489.jpg

Getty Images

Lions coach Matt Patricia does not believe he is on the hot seat.

Patricia, who took over a 9-7 Lions team and is 5-10 in his first season, said on Wednesday that he’d just had a meeting with Lions owner Martha Ford (one he presumably showed up on time to) and is “pretty confident” he’s going to keep his job.

“Everything for me right now is just keep moving forward and getting ready for the game this weekend,” Patricia said.

Patricia avoided questions about whether he’ll make changes to his coaching staff, but offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, whom Patricia inherited from former coach Jim Caldwell’s staff, seems likely to get fired. The Lions clearly have to make some changes, and if Patricia isn’t out, then he’ll probably fire some of his assistants to take the heat off himself.

I’m surprised that Jim Bob has managed to stay around this long. It will be interesting to see how Stafford goes with a different play caller and more of an emphasis on a strong running game. Over the past few years, there’s been so many 3 and outs due to Stafford trying to pass his way down the field. I go back to the Miami game and think about how letting Johnson run the football on first down creates the better throwing opportunities for Stafford. That’s about the only time the offence looked like a playoff team.

I’m surprised that Jim Bob has managed to stay around this long. It will be interesting to see how Stafford goes with a different play caller and more of an emphasis on a strong running game. Over the past few years, there’s been so many 3 and outs due to Stafford trying to pass his way down the field. I go back to the Miami game and think about how letting Johnson run the football on first down creates the better throwing opportunities for Stafford. That’s about the only time the offence looked like a playoff team.
I reckon Stafford is cooked tho.

No staff changes in Detroit, at least not yet

Posted by Darin Gantt on January 1, 2019, 8:06 AM EST

630783074-e1518145215502.jpg

Getty Images

Jim Bob Cooter may not be safe, but at least he made it through Black Monday,
Via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, the embattled Lions offensive coordinator wasn’t fired Monday, but head coach Matt Patricia said he wanted to wait to think about possible changes.
Specifically to Cooter, Patricia said he wanted “to allow the emotion of the season to come down.”
“I don’t think I need to put a hard [deadline on making a decision] at this current moment,” Patricia said. “But obviously we have a timeline that we do have to address with it and things will come up when they come up. But for the minute, I’m just going to take the rest of today, maybe enjoy the new year and see my kids and my wife and we’ll settle in and we’ll go from there. So, I think that’s probably the best idea at this point.”
Last week, Cooter sounded resigned to his fate, and quarterback Matthew Stafford didn’t offer as strong an endorsement as he did last year.
The Lions were 24th in total offense and 25th in scoring, though a lot of that had to do with trading Golden Tate, injuries to Kerryon Johnson, Marvin Jones, T.J. Lang, and Bruce Ellington, and not playing Johnson enough early in the season.

Bob Quinn on Matt Patricia: “I’m not paid to do extensive background checks”

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 4, 2019, 10:03 AM EST

GettyImages-915493492-e1546614130990.jpg

Getty Images

The Lions hired new head coach Matt Patricia last year without doing a background check, which would have revealed that Patricia had been indicted for aggravated sexual assault in 1996. Lions General Manager Bob Quinn, who hired Patricia, has kept a low profile since that news surfaced. But today Quinn addressed the issue, and denied that he came up short in researching Patricia before hiring him.

At his end-of-season press conference, Quinn said that background checks aren’t his department, and he sees no reason he should have known.

“I’m not paid to do extensive background checks,” Quinn said.

It might technically be true that Quinn’s job description doesn’t include background checks. But it absolutely is his responsibility to ensure that someone in the organization is checking the background of head-coaching candidates. If Quinn isn’t capable of delegating that task to someone competent, then Quinn himself isn’t suited to the job of General Manager of an NFL team.

And it would not have taken an “extensive” background check to uncover the charge against Patricia, which was available via a simple Nexis search. Again, Quinn may not be the person who is individually responsible for such a search, but he ought to make sure someone within the organization is handling it.

It’s also worth wondering why Quinn didn’t simply ask Patricia, whom he’s known for many years going back to their days in New England together, whether there was anything in his background the team needed to know about. If Quinn and Patricia have a strong relationship, as Quinn has always said they do, then Quinn should have looked Patricia in the eye before hiring him and asked him, “Is there anything in your background that could be a problem for the organization if it came to light?” If Quinn didn’t ask that question, then again he failed to do what NFL General Managers need to do. And if Quinn did ask that question and Patricia lied to him, that’s an even bigger problem.

Not doing something simple like a background check is something that wouldn’t surprise me with this organisation.

However as it is a charge that never proceeded to trial, what was Myers supposed to do even if he did know about it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back