Autopsy Devastating loss to the Giants by 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not at all certain we draft Warner three selections later if we already take a player remarkably similar with our first pick.

Even if we do, cast your mind back to 2020, and who was more ready? Warner plays two games, Serong plays 14 and wins the Rising Star. So Serong probably ends up next cab in the rank, rather than Warner, who probably doesn't even get a look in in our midfield.

So I just don't get the Serong comparisons. We needed a wingman then and evidently we still do, because as of the weekend, Stephens was the only AFL-standard actual wingman we had in the team (McInerney out of form, Warner Jr. dropped.)

I personally don't care other than at the time I liked Serong, knew nothing of Warner to be honest, its all ifs and buts. Stephens is the easy whipping boy, I like him,.

Put all you said aside the idea Serong is struggling for form or Stephens is close is silly. In fact Serong would be ahead of Warner in many redrafts I reckon

I personally don't care other than at the time I liked Serong, knew nothing of Warner to be honest, its all ifs and buts. Stephens is the easy whipping boy, I like him,.

Put all you said aside the idea Serong is struggling for form or Stephens is close is silly. In fact Serong would be ahead of Warner in many redrafts I reckon
I guarantee you, if this board was Freo and our team was 2-5, Serong would be no.2 whipping boy, albeit a distant second behind Jackson.

It doesn't matter if Warner would be ahead of Serong in redrafts, because he wouldn't be in our midfield. Maybe he'd be someone else's third round draft gem but he wouldn't be ours.

Recruiters weigh up who they can get early and who they can get later on in the draft. So it makes sense they'd take the wingman they wanted earlier if they thought they could get the mid they wanted later.

It doesn't matter if Warner would be ahead of Serong in redrafts, because he wouldn't be in our midfield. Maybe he'd be someone else's third round draft gem but he wouldn't be ours.

The whole thing doesn't matter

I guarantee you, if this board was Freo and our team was 2-5, Serong would be no.2 whipping boy, albeit a distant second behind Jackson.

Yeah and your equivalent would be defending him 😂,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Normally a lovely user of the ball", "One of the best kicks in the comp" and "Normally brilliant by foot" - These are just three examples from commentators that are cursed by the footy gods. Use any of them on Franklin, Heeney, Gulden, Campbell or Blakey and they'll shank it every time.

Give me Mills,Rowbottom, Florent or Warner, who aren't flashy but generally just hit their targets. Even Ladhams is consistent, always kicking poorly. Blakey's wizard leg will pull off a couple of impossibly difficult kicks then as if by some abra-fecking-cadabra magic it'll change to his evil alter-ego leg and shank the easiest of kicks for a complete howler.

We have a couple of serious problems that we can't get out of our game.

1. We keep bombing the ball inside 50, as if we have the greatest contested marks in the comp. We let GWS kill the ball and rebound. There was little danger we could swoop on the ground ball and goal (see point 2). The Swans need to put short Japanese noren curtains at all entrances to the Swans clubhouse to train the players to lower their eyes

2. Goals. Has anyone explained the significance of the 6 points to the team? Do they know they're supposed to kick the ball betwen the big posts? For all our lack of options in defence, we had a pretty full complement of forward options and GWS were without their best defender. We had opportunity after opportunity to score goals but we either missed the goal or missed the point (entirely). OK, bad pun.

We've kicked ourselves out of too many very winnable games. We outplayed GWS in most aspects of the game except simple forward craft. The midfield and forward coaches should be put on notice.

3. Why is it other teams so often tap to advantage but we almost never do? It's pointless winning the contested ball if we just get wrapped up in a tackle or are forced to dispose under pressure. Reid used to do it all the time. Now we seem to bring any advantage back to a 50:50 contest, either through disposal to a 50:50 or by allowing the other team to force a ball-up.

4. Spread. I'm not talking vegemite, peanut butter or anchovy paste (that stuff is gross). Most teams have a few players who remain on the outside to receive the red hot ball, either from their teammates or from us. We used to. We also used to run ahead of the ball in waves. "Ah, if only we were young again..." "Hang on! We are young"

Failure to make some distance from our opposition often leaves teams wearing us tighter than the undiess your granny used to give you for Christmas. "Try them on dear" "Seriously?" you murmur. As you inch crab-like back into the room, your cohones feel like they've been tackled by the McCartin brothers (wearing cotton gloves)."Say thank you" hisses your mum, as she pinches the back of your arm. "Thank you for the Thomas the Tank Engine jockets grandma"....you manage to squeak out in a high pitched voice.

Some sort of ear worm has found itself into the players' heads.

ps. I did say a couple, er...soz.

You know Old Kenny, I used to genuinely wonder if you might be the great man himself, Kenny Williams.

I realise now that you’re not - but I still like the name. I really miss seeing Kenny there celebrating a Swans win.

He was part of the heart & soul of the club.

PS: good post. I mostly found myself nodding in agreeement.
Just as an aside, when people have a person’s face for their avatar (like I do) I sometimes find myself thinking I’m actually replying to that person, not the poster.

There’s an annoying poster on the MB who uses Ernie from Sesame St, and honestly, when they’re really annoying me I could swear I’m actually dealing with that %##%*%# little Muppet.

We have a couple of serious problems that we can't get out of our game.

1. We keep bombing the ball inside 50, as if we have the greatest contested marks in the comp. We let GWS kill the ball and rebound. There was little danger we could swoop on the ground ball and goal (see point 2). The Swans need to put short Japanese noren curtains at all entrances to the Swans clubhouse to train the players to lower their eyes

2. Goals. Has anyone explained the significance of the 6 points to the team? Do they know they're supposed to kick the ball betwen the big posts? For all our lack of options in defence, we had a pretty full complement of forward options and GWS were without their best defender. We had opportunity after opportunity to score goals but we either missed the goal or missed the point (entirely). OK, bad pun.

We've kicked ourselves out of too many very winnable games. We outplayed GWS in most aspects of the game except simple forward craft. The midfield and forward coaches should be put on notice.

3. Why is it other teams so often tap to advantage but we almost never do? It's pointless winning the contested ball if we just get wrapped up in a tackle or are forced to dispose under pressure. Reid used to do it all the time. Now we seem to bring any advantage back to a 50:50 contest, either through disposal to a 50:50 or by allowing the other team to force a ball-up.

4. Spread. I'm not talking vegemite, peanut butter or anchovy paste (that stuff is gross). Most teams have a few players who remain on the outside to receive the red hot ball, either from their teammates or from us. We used to. We also used to run ahead of the ball in waves. "Ah, if only we were young again..." "Hang on! We are young"

Failure to make some distance from our opposition often leaves teams wearing us tighter than the undiess your granny used to give you for Christmas. "Try them on dear" "Seriously?" you murmur. As you inch crab-like back into the room, your cohones feel like they've been tackled by the McCartin brothers (wearing cotton gloves)."Say thank you" hisses your mum, as she pinches the back of your arm. "Thank you for the Thomas the Tank Engine jockets grandma"....you manage to squeak out in a high pitched voice.

Some sort of ear worm has found itself into the players' heads.

ps. I did say a couple, er...soz.
Great post mate! Put a smile on my dial!

Yes please please please!!! Fair dinkum it’s enough to make me decide to stay in and watch on telly.

Tom Harley is a Redsox fan, feel like he just copied it from there , they play it at Fenway every 8th inning.

It started because the guy in charge of music had a friend have a baby called Caroline so played it for her and people liked it so it stayed, makes it dumber Sydney and other sports teams copied it imo

A482C0E4-9E59-4B18-BCC9-BE68658BACF0.jpeg

Aw, not again!

That’s
  • 1 game we’ve probably lost with inaccurate goalkicking
  • 1 game we’ve probably lost from very accurate goalkicking from our opponent
  • 2 defeats where our percentage has taken a battering from freakishly accurate opponents

819C8088-8F59-4069-BBEB-1C32574BB0E5.jpeg
50352C2A-C0E1-4270-B0F8-0982FA3DCF65.jpeg
C5E7B433-06C8-495D-99E1-15DDD1DC6660.jpeg

Attachments

• D03F3637-7DE7-499C-B918-48DD0FC33CC2.jpeg
    D03F3637-7DE7-499C-B918-48DD0FC33CC2.jpeg
    28.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
We are a very ordinary footy team. Bottom 4. everyone knows what we are going to do before we do it. The coaching is killing us and the players are no longer buying in. All day just bombed the ball up. We should never have been in this position in the first place. Again we rely on Franklin far too much. Papley in the third kicks to Franklin surrounded by opponents. We kicked to him again and again and they just ran the ball out.

We started to lose the stoppages and left Harry on Greene when he was getting killed. I would have put Lloyd on Greene.

Ladhams was giving us first use nearly every time but we were squandering it. We fumbled, handballed to players who were covered and just kicked the ball high out of clearances and stoppages. I hate losing to this mob because it means the AFL wins not Sydney. Since they put their own team in the West they do not want Swans to go well.

How many times can Greene get away with no holding decisions after he tries to milk the free. He got 3 frees in the first 3 for doing exactly what he got ball ups for in the last. Chad Warner wanted to be the hero and didn't make the distance. Lesson to be learned for him. He should have dished off, he had players streaming toward goal.

This mob are bottom 4. We are worse by 1 point. Our blokes have no heart. They are soft. They are stagers, everyone wants to be a bloody hero but they are not good enough.

Harry just has to go. Play Sheather, Sheldrick, Gould.

Francis was ok. He did some good spoiling work and took a few timely marks. But he needs to clean up his decision making.

Will was good.

Paps was well held and only played a Cameo.

Isaac Heeney is the most overrated footballer in the history of the game. He could be a star but he is either injured or just not playing to his ability. He was very poor today.

I wonder what Ollie said when Horse said 'You play on Greene"
I'm playing mids on Tom Green?
No Toby
Oh s**t.
Bad move Horse

Same as playing Blakey on Himmelberg. Just stupid. Blakey is wasted as a defensive defender.

Rowbottom tried hard. But I want to know who was on O'Halloran? He must have BO because nobody went near him all day.

Tommy was good first game back. But little help.

Chad was ok but needs to make better decisions. He was on Green and Green got plenty. So probably not tight enough.

Our mids are so slow you could put Mick Nolan on them and he would win the sprint. They must be because Green, Congiglio, O'Halloran and Kelly spent most of the day running around free. They simply refuse to chase or are not fit enough to chase.

There are some problems forward too. Buddy is not expected to chase and most of today he did not disappoint. But in the last half he chased and tackled. But Will, Paps, Heens and McLean were far too often left in their opponents wake.

My last point.

ARE WE FIT?
I DON'T BELIEVE WE ARE. AT LEAST 5 PLAYERS CRAMPING IN THE LAST AND NONE OF THEIR DOING SO. iT TELLS ME WE ARE NOT FIT.
Couldn’t agree more. Other teams far fitter and it makes us look lazy/like players haven’t bought in but I reckon it is purely fitness. Contrast us with Collingwood, Melb, Port, GWS in Q4. It’s pretty clear imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back