Traded #10 Devon Smith - Inaugural Giant (Pick 14, 2011 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Devon Smith

art-353-728003930-300x0.jpg

Height: 174cm
Weight: 76kg
D/O/B: 20/5/1993
Position: Mid/Fwd

Devon Smith was selected by the Giants with pick 14 in the 2011 AFL Draft and made his debut in the inaugural Giants team in round one 2012 against the Sydney Swans.

Devon was nominated for the AFL Risings Star after his round 19 performance against Port Adelaide.

THE GWS Giants' surprise 34-point victory over Port Adelaide last Saturday has special significance for AFL Rising Star nominee, Devon Smith. He dedicated the win to his grandmother, who died last week, with the entire team wearing black arm bands in her memory. The young midfielder star flew to Melbourne twice last week as his teammates prepared for what became the second win of the club's debut season.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gr...-rising-star-nod/story-fnelctok-1226444582286

2014 Highlights: Devon Smith

Last edited:

2015 Season Summary: Devon Smith

SmithSSSLIDER.jpg

Devon Smith received the GIANTS' Defensive Standards Award for the second time.

Our Season Summary looks back at how each GIANTS player fared during the 2015 AFL season.

Name: Devon Smith
Number: 10
2015 Games: 20 AFL
AFL Fantasy Average: 86
Awards: Defensive Standards Award

Background: Devon Smith was selected with pick 14 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft. He’s played 79 games for the GIANTS over four seasons.

Best Game: AFL Round 16 v Gold Coast - 27 touches, 3 marks, 5 tackles and 4 goals.

Summary: Although it was a leaner year for Devon Smith in front of goals he still played a crucial role in the GIANTS’ forwardline. For the second time Smith was awarded the club’s Defensive Standard Award for leading the way with pressure acts such as chasing, smothering and tackling. Smith finished the season with 17 goals and averaged 19 disposals. He battled a slight knee injury at various times throughout the year but still managed to clock 20 games toward his career-tally. Smith also put pen to paper and re-signed with the GIANTS until at least the end of 2017.

Pat On The Back: Smith’s defensive pressure continues to set the standard up front for the GIANTS.

What They Said: “When you sit down and think about what you want at the end of your career, I want to play in a premiership, that's what everyone plays for" - Devon Smith.

Look Ahead: With Jon Patton returning in 2016 and the addition of Steve Johnson, expect Smith to have more freedom to push up the ground and less pressure to contribute to the scoreboard.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-11-02/season-summary-devon-smith#sthash.L7uc7bvG.dpuf

Essendon and former GWS player Devon Smith retires from the AFL after 182 games across 11 seasons. Smith has brought his 182-game career to a close, informing Bombers teammates on Friday morning. After 109 games with GWS as an inaugural player at the AFL's 18th club, Smith moved to Essendon at the end of 2017.

But a degenerative knee injury has restricted him to just eight AFL games this season. "While it wasn't an easy decision to come to, unfortunately I couldn't quite get the body to where it needed to be to perform week-in and week-out," Smith said in a statement. "I've loved my AFL journey and I've had the true privilege of representing two fantastic football clubs. I want to thank all my past and present teammates for all their support across the journey. As players, your time in the AFL goes by so quickly and my message to them this morning was that they shouldn’t lose sight of the fact it is a privilege to run out with your best mates every week. I’ll miss that the most. I wish everyone the best for the journey ahead and I look forward to watching the boys on next season with a beer in hand."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back