Retired Devon Smith [OOC 2023 - retirement announced]

Remove this Banner Ad

We’d get absolutely nothing if we try to trade him.

I’d just keep him for the rest of his contract if he’s happy to stay. Then likely retires at the end of his contract, unless Geelong or someone offers him one last shot.

Would love to know the thinking behind giving him a two year extension in April 2021. I know we all like to give Dodoro stick but why you would not wait until the end of the year and give him max a 1+1 I don’t know. Worse case he got a deal from someone else and left.

Would love to know the thinking behind giving him a two year extension in April 2021. I know we all like to give Dodoro stick but why you would not wait until the end of the year and give him max a 1+1 I don’t know. Worse case he got a deal from someone else and left.
It made no sense at the time tbh. I think we were coming off a massive win against the Saints and he played pretty well in that game, but there was still extremely little to suggest that offering anything more than one year was a good idea in any way shape or form.

delisted Cahill and Mosquito at years end and it was probably on the cards early for both. Neither had really shown much.
27 at the time, so I guess taking him 30 doesn't sound like a disaster.
Didn't see the dissent rule coming

scraping here.

Wtf happened to this guy? I bought in to the hype when Essendon got their triple S of Stringer, Saad and Smith and combined them with the promising forward line home to Daniher and Tippa and a backline featuring Hurley and Hooker.

Smith won a B&F then seems to have stopped having much influence in games.

Wtf happened to this guy? I bought the hype when Essendon got their triple S of Stringer, Saad and Smith and combined them with the promising forward line home to Daniher and Tippa.

knees. too degenerative. Can't handle chronic loads. :/

Yeah came to Essendon PCL deficient and won the BnF without it, then did something else to the same knee as well so got it all cleaned up in one hit. That was a while ago now (2019 I think? Or 2020?) and he still has a bit of trouble with it.

They’re supposedly trying a strengthening program for the other muscles around the knee to take pressure off the ligaments a bit due to some pain and swelling he was getting, although he came back in and played against Hawthorn when the flu went through the club (we have a serious lack in the small forwards department and injuries have made it even more desperate).

Still an important player for us and extremely underrated for both his tackling pressure and his willingness to get under the grill of the opposition and throw his puny weight around. Pretty team oriented too most of the time, flies the flag etc, but a bit selfish around goal (what small forward isn’t?) and can give away some really dumb frees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf happened to this guy? I bought in to the hype when Essendon got their triple S of Stringer, Saad and Smith and combined them with the promising forward line home to Daniher and Tippa and a backline featuring Hurley and Hooker.

he suffered a knee injury the year after he won the BnF - did not recover from it.

Body has not kept up with his will to play.

Maybe the other clubs can pay you to keep him
This is an interesting strategy.

Quick, someone figure out how much money we would need to lure <insert star free agent here> now!!!

Silly question but does he have to voluntarily give up the money on his last year? Always think back to Tom Boyd retiring and giving up the last few years of deal compared to Dayne Beams who kept getting paid.

Silly question but does he have to voluntarily give up the money on his last year? Always think back to Tom Boyd retiring and giving up the last few years of deal compared to Dayne Beams who kept getting paid.
Doubt it's an issue given our cap space

It's negotiated, falls somewhere in between Beams and Boyd (as the two extreme examples). In this case the Bombers probably need to pay him in full to reach the cap minimum.

It's negotiated, falls somewhere in between Beams and Boyd (as the two extreme examples). In this case the Bombers probably need to pay him in full to reach the cap minimum.
Yeah, I can't see why we wouldn't.

There is the option of rookie listing him next year if he isn't giving up his salary. There is precedent for it (Patfull at GWS).
Frees up a list spot and at the time there was a 50% cap discount for rookie listed players (not sure if there is now though)

There is the option of rookie listing him next year if he isn't giving up his salary. There is precedent for it (Patfull at GWS).
Frees up a list spot and at the time there was a 50% cap discount for rookie listed players (not sure if there is now though)
You can do it but Essendon has enough cap space that we can just pay him out whatever amount has been agreed to. Place more value on list spots than cash atm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back