Traded Devon Smith [traded to Essendon]

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I can say for certain you wont get him fir a second round pick, not even the soiden spooners and Carlton wont be.
How can you be so certain?

How can you be so certain?
At that price I honestly beleive the club would refuse on principle and let him go to the PSD.
It would require him to refuse to resign with us, and he's said publicly he wants to resign so that seems unlikely.
It's possible he'll decide on another club and that means we'll want to trade, but not at any price.
People have laughed at the loss the club took over Macarthy, and it was a sad business, but sometimes you make at stand.
I'd say top 10 but get a club might prefer the draft with pick 1 or 2.

At that price I honestly beleive the club would refuse on principle and let him go to the PSD.
It would require him to refuse to resign with us, and he's said publicly he wants to resign so that seems unlikely.
It's possible he'll decide on another club and that means we'll want to trade, but not at any price.
People have laughed at the loss the club took over Macarthy, and it was a sad business, but sometimes you make at stand.
PSD would be great for us;).

What about pick 1 for Smith + Hopper or Kennedy?

By the sounds of things GWS aren't too fussed given the talent they have on the list.

By the sounds of things GWS aren't too fussed given the talent they have on the list.
I dont think that's true. Devon nearly walked in his first year and we want him to stick now. It's his call though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For starters he would put himself in the ND not the PSD if it came to that.
You wont choose to take nothing out of spite it almost never happens.

My guess would probably be something like carltons 2nd and our 3rd which values smith around pick 10-14 which is fair considering he is OOC.

Either way geelong have a history of getting fair trades done and rarely do we do the wrong thing by the other club so i doubt you have much to worry about.

Is going to collingwood lock it in... already done deal..

Geelong have no money or currency

I dont think that's true. Devon nearly walked in his first year and we want him to stick now. It's his call though.
Smith's already made the call by all accounts but we'll soon see.

SOS will dangle pick 2 to involve Kelly & Smith...what will happen - will smash anything Saints and North will be able to offer players and club.

For starters he would put himself in the ND not the PSD if it came to that.
You wont choose to take nothing out of spite it almost never happens.

My guess would probably be something like carltons 2nd and our 3rd which values smith around pick 10-14 which is fair considering he is OOC.

Either way geelong have a history of getting fair trades done and rarely do we do the wrong thing by the other club so i doubt you have much to worry about.
Not spite, I think you misread my post. I stated quite clearly if he nominates another club we would want to trade. That price is ridiculously unders though and better to reject if it cant be increased. Trading OOC players has an element of brinkmanship, I get that.

Smith's already made the call by all accounts but we'll soon see.
I've seen him say he wants and expects to come to terms with us so not sure where that started.
I think you misread me as well, I'm not offended by your interest. The issue is the price.

Last edited:
I've seen him say he wants and expects to come to terms with us so not sure where that started.
I think you misread me as well, I'm not offended by your interested. The issue is the price.
I was told in December he wanted to come to Geelong ... then I heard about the house.

The price and cost is just a guess but given he is ooc and you're list is brimming with talent, I can't see you being too concerned. That's a compliment.

I was told in December he wanted to come to Geelong ... then I heard about the house.

The price and cost is just a guess but given he is ooc and you're list is brimming with talent, I can't see you being too concerned. That's a compliment.
Players using their money to invest is sensible but he did say what I said. I dont think him leaving is an absurd but I think we'll have cash as my best guess is we will have so say goodbye and wish Kelly well.
I want Devon to stay, he's a great outside mid/small forward and challenges Wilson as the best footskills at our club. That said if he wants to go I hope that can be sorted. But not with a second round pick.

Don't worry Bokonon_

Take a look at the gem form Nakia in the Deledio thread from last year.

I was speaking to someone who apparently knows him and the deal is done.

I can't remember exactly what the specifics were but Geelong receive a draft pick with Deledio. It may have been pick 24 I can't remember. I thought he specifically mentioned a first round pick but Richmond will use that on Prestia.

Got some great sources obviously:drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back