Traded Devon Smith [traded to Essendon]

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think that GWS might start looking at player trades rather than picks?

Or do they have more good academy kids coming through?

in both, those instances will benefit GWS they want academy players that have been hand picked and a Collingwood player could help up the forward line even though they have a good foward line

Well not if he doesn't have any interest in going to this other clubs

Treloar chose Collingwood but that didn’t stop Richmond from ensuring they paid 2 first rounders to GWS for him.

Treloar chose Collingwood but that didn’t stop Richmond from ensuring they paid 2 first rounders to GWS for him.
You think that might not have something to do with the fact the GWS CEO's brother is at Richmond?
That had nothing to do with market demand and everything to do with a vindictive family tie.

It's not personal, just an exchange of views. Tje deal with those guys was we were reducing our list size as required, and they needed opportunity. Marchbank is the closest in terms of value to Smith but our deals with Carlton are very complex and you can't look at a player in isolation.
I do have soft spot for Norrh in taking on Ahern and giving him support through his rehab. Inreturn they get a cheap throw of the dice. Trading is a cold business though.
I suspect given your lack of pick currency, player trade options would be explored. In any case There seems to be some serious negotiating to happen end of season if he does nominate Geelong. We have traded well in the past.
We will see in the end..trade values can be so arbitrary. As you say generally you have been good traders, and taking a haircut on out trades is acceptable with perhaps the only peg in the ground neg. being McCarthy as he was so recently contracted.

We will see in the end..trade values can be so arbitrary. As you say generally you have been good traders, and taking a haircut on out trades is acceptable with perhaps the only peg in the ground neg. being McCarthy as he was so recently contracted.
Agreed

Do you think that GWS might start looking at player trades rather than picks?

Or do they have more good academy kids coming through?

Picks would be my guess for the next 2 years, picks are cheaper salary and are more easily tradeable if something unexpected comes up. Quite a few will be finishing in the next 2-3 years, so developing the sucession would be already underway.

You think that might not have something to do with the fact the GWS CEO's brother is at Richmond?
That had nothing to do with market demand and everything to do with a vindictive family tie.

I think it had to do with Gubby Allen trying to facilitate a trade to the Pies (his future employers) for a single first round pick while shutting out Richmond who were offering 2. Gubby kept that fact from his GWS superiors and they justifiably intervened and made certain Collingwood paid market price and GWS didn't accept unders.

I think it had to do with Gubby Allen trying to facilitate a trade to the Pies (his future employers) for a single first round pick while shutting out Richmond who were offering 2. Gubby kept that fact from his GWS superiors and they justifiably intervened and made certain Collingwood paid market price and GWS didn't accept unders.
You're acting as if Richmonds first rounders were as early as Collingwood's in this situation which is pretty disingenuous. The original deal that was agreed upon was our first and second round picks, which was 7 and 25. That was actually pretty close to the mark of what Richmond were offering which was 12 and their next years first, which at the time was assumed by most to be another pick in the teens given Richmonds upward trend at the time.
Matthews intervened not because they weren't getting fair value, he intervened because his brother had a sook and he wanted AT to go to Richmond. Apparently there's no such thing as a conflict of interest in the AFL though (I don't think Gubby should have been involved in that deal either given the circumstances)

Lol
d3b2978684668ac4f46fb24df48e1c97.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Lol
d3b2978684668ac4f46fb24df48e1c97.jpg

Believe what you want. I've talked enough to those in the know to get a reasonable grasp on what happened.

This thread is about Smith though. I'd rather not get in to another lengthy argument about the Treloar trade. He's at Collingwood, he's performing well, so it's hard to be unhappy even if we did pay a high price.

Believe what you want. I've talked enough to those in the know to get a reasonable grasp on what happened.

This thread is about Smith though. I'd rather not get in to another lengthy argument about the Treloar trade. He's at Collingwood, he's performing well, so it's hard to be unhappy even if we did pay a high price.
No probs.

It is a Smith thread. I didnt bring Treloar up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to disagree, again the issue is the price. Devon isn't teally a small forward in the traditional mould anyway. He's more like your old fashioned running forward flanker. Probably in that role because Scully and Whitfield generally own the wing/outside mid slots in our side.
I get Geelong has little trade currency it would be interesting to see it play out. A deal both sides can live with is most likely.
Taking 70c in the dollar is getting shafted though and I am certain it would leave Devon with the option of accepting another club or going to the draft.
No one wins in that scenario it's true but it's Devon I would feel for, better he gets to where he wants to go if he wants out.

I respect thats your view i just cannot see that your club would do what you're suggesting, clubs are much more pragmatic than what you suggested.

As mentioned because Geelong deal fairly it won't come to that but if it did you won't choose to take nothing. If he wants geelong he will get Geelong and it will get done reasonably.

Jack Steele went for a 2nd rounder. Dev is definitely worth a 1st. There will be too much demand from other clubs for Geelong to get him for unders.

Which is irrelevant unless he is prepared to go to other clubs (in which case i might agree with you).

There is also a difference between a later 1st and a top 10 pick.

I respect thats your view i just cannot see that your club would do what you're suggesting, clubs are much more pragmatic than what you suggested.

As mentioned because Geelong deal fairly it won't come to that but if it did you won't choose to take nothing. If he wants geelong he will get Geelong and it will get done reasonably.
It an exchange of views people dont always agree, is my perspective. It's what's reasonable we dont agree on and I accept that we wont, it's not a reason for offence.

Wrong. Geelong could trade their 2018 first for him (which I would think would be enough on its own) and if they also have Carlton's 2nd this year then they would have enough currency and then some.
Absolutely right. Geelong could trade picks 20 and 34 for him, which for GWS (inc discount) is the equivalent of Pick 6.

Then, GWS go to Freo, Richmond or someone a bit lower on the ladder and trade up in the draft offering pick 17 and 20 for a pick around 12 (which Freo would probably do because they have no second rounder and are looking to take a half dozen kids this year). Use that pick 12ish on best available before bids come in on Jack Powell, and still have the points to grab the local lad.

It's a win-win-win.

Absolutely right. Geelong could trade picks 20 and 34 for him, which for GWS (inc discount) is the equivalent of Pick 6.

Then, GWS go to Freo, Richmond or someone a bit lower on the ladder and trade up in the draft offering pick 17 and 20 for a pick around 12 (which Freo would probably do because they have no second rounder and are looking to take a half dozen kids this year). Use that pick 12ish on best available before bids come in on Jack Powell, and still have the points to grab the local lad.

It's a win-win-win.
If GWS need points it is, otherwise I doubt they'd be loving the idea of two 2nd rounders.

If GWS need points it is, otherwise I doubt they'd be loving the idea of two 2nd rounders.
We're only alliwed to take one academy selection in the top 20 if we finish top 4. There's a lot of variables and it's complicated this year. Not whinging it will still allow clubs like the Lions to continue their efforts with their acadalemy which seems fair. Ours will continue no doubt but the young guys are more likely to end up elsewhere.

The way we are going Geelong are going to trade their first round pick from 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025 :p

One day we'll go to the draft with a first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back