Rumour Dew gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
That's self-evident when you look at ladder positions.

I'm saying that drafting/recruiting and then development/retention has been the biggest factor in explaining why.

I think people going all the back to 2011 and saying it's because GWS recruited Chad Cornes and Dean Brogan, or even the early involvement of Kevin Sheedy - I think that meme has been ridiculously oversold.

One action is not THE problem, just as getting rid of Stewy Dew wont fix anything.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just spoke to Cochrane at dinner. Dewy has until bye next year to be at least 8-4 and 110%

make sure this guy gets his marching orders ASAP.

1629699815743.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure that tells us much.

Sheedy was long gone by the time the Giants made finals in 2016. And if you look at McKenna's record, he was harshly treated. In 2014, he had the Suns 7-2 after 10 rounds and sitting in the top 8 at the end of R16. Ablett got injured and the wheels fell off. GC slumped to 12th and then sacked McKenna. Who's fault was that?
Brent Macaffer’s

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Poor unsupported Dew. Club should do more to support him, surround him by better assistants, give him more time like Dimma, etc etc....yawn.
Dew - 4 years, 82 games, record of 19 - 62 - 1
Teague - 2 years, 50 games, record of 21 - 29

these are not the same situation.

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't believe we actually asked Sydney to release him so he could be the next coach after Paul Roos

Dodged a bullet
If this year has proven anything it's that the head coach can't improve a football team alone.

We get an amazing assistant and look at the changes... I feel Dew has the respect of the playing group which is key for a coach, the assistants can make or break implementing the vision.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Dew - 4 years, 82 games, record of 19 - 62 - 1
Teague - 2 years, 50 games, record of 21 - 29

these are not the same situation.

Just give him more support bro, surround him with more experienced assistants. Get a Choco or Roos are senior assistant. That apparently fixes every coach so I hear.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just give him more support bro, surround him with more experienced assistants. Get a Choco or Roos are senior assistant. That apparently fixes every coach so I hear.
Again, relevant in Carltons position but not in Dew's.

Teague has a decent record for a coach in his first two years. It's not unrealistic to think he may have been on the right path with Carlton and that you jumped the gun.

Dew has a worse coaching record (23.1%) than Brendan Bolton (25.6%) and that's with two different waves of assistants assisting him including having Neil Craig help oversee him this season. He's also getting now a 3rd wave of assistants and club officials coming in to help next season which is far more than Teague ever had.

He'll get one more year, but I suspect unless he can have at least a 50% win rate in 2022 then there is no chance he makes it through to 2023.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Again, relevant in Carltons position but not in Dew's.

Teague has a decent record for a coach in his first two years. It's not unrealistic to think he may have been on the right path with Carlton and that you jumped the gun.

Dew has a worse coaching record (23.1%) than Brendan Bolton (25.6%) and that's with two different waves of assistants assisting him including having Neil Craig help oversee him this season. He's also getting now a 3rd wave of assistants and club officials coming in to help next season which is far more than Teague ever had.

He'll get one more year, but I suspect unless he can have at least a 50% win rate in 2022 then there is no chance he makes it through to 2023.

Na bro. Shocking look they are negotiating with Clarkson whilst Dew is coach. Poor look. Treating Dew like crap. So unprofessional. What a mess.

Just sakc him yesterday if he's not the coach, why drag it out?

It's probably all the players fault anyways. Support your coach, get top tier assistants around him. Focus on culture. Fixed overnight.

(sound familiar?)

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Na bro. Shocking look they are negotiating with Clarkson whilst Dew is coach. Poor look. Treating Dew like crap. So unprofessional. What a mess.

Just sakc him yesterday if he's not the coach, why drag it out?

It's probably all the players fault anyways. Support your coach, get top tier assistants around him. Focus on culture. Fixed overnight.

(sound familiar?)
You've clearly taken relevant media criticism directed at your club well

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
You've clearly taken relevant media criticism directed at your club well

Just comparing in contrast. It's very relevant. Notably, despite you insinuating that Dew should get the sack, there is no media uproar regarding their Clarko chase?

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just comparing in contrast. It's very relevant. Notably, despite you insinuating that Dew should get the sack, there is no media uproar regarding their Clarko chase?
The relevance is that Gold Coast HAS stuck by Dew, and HAS given him a chance with multiple assistant coaches, development coaches and control in many areas of the club.

Carlton didn't do that with Teague.

4 seasons under Dew (23.1% total win rate):
2018 - 4 - 18 @ 59.9% (17th)
2019 - 3 - 19 @ 60.5% (18th)
2020 - 5 - 11 - 1 @ 90.6% (14th)
2021 - 7 - 15 @ 76.5% (16th)
2022 - ?

2 seasons under Teague (42% total win rate):
2019 - 6 - 5 (16th) (was 18th @ 1 - 10 when he took over mid season)
2020 - 7 - 10 @ 94.3% (11th)
2021 - 8 - 14 @ 88.5% (13th) SACKED*

There is no uproar because at this point of Dew's tenure it is fair enough that he's being scrutinised and sounded out for a replacement. He's had plenty of opportunity and Alistair Clarkson is the greatest coach in the modern era so throwing the kitchen sink at him now that he's not contracted by Hawthorn seems like the responsible thing to do by a club that needs good leaders at the top.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
The relevance is that Gold Coast HAS stuck by Dew, and HAS given him a chance with multiple assistant coaches, development coaches and control in many areas of the club.

Carlton didn't do that with Teague.

4 seasons under Dew (23.1% total win rate):
2018 - 4 - 18 @ 59.9% (17th)
2019 - 3 - 19 @ 60.5% (18th)
2020 - 5 - 11 - 1 @ 90.6% (14th)
2021 - 7 - 15 @ 76.5% (16th)
2022 - ?

2 seasons under Teague (42% total win rate):
2019 - 6 - 5 (16th) (was 18th @ 1 - 10 when he took over mid season)
2020 - 7 - 10 @ 94.3% (11th)
2021 - 8 - 14 @ 88.5% (13th) SACKED*

There is no uproar because at this point of Dew's tenure it is fair enough that he's being scrutinised and sounded out for a replacement. He's had plenty of opportunity and Alistair Clarkson is the greatest coach in the modern era so throwing the kitchen sink at him now that he's not contracted by Hawthorn seems like the responsible thing to do by a club that needs good leaders at the top.

So sakc Dew. Why drag it out? TBH your club is treating him very poorly. If he's not your guy then let him go. Not a psychologically sound workplace IMHO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back