Society/Culture Did a male get in the way of Wonder Woman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Quite seriously, I've learnt that offensive words don't matter on Bigfooty if someone is using them 'ironically'.

I've campaigned pretty hard to get the word 'Mussie' banned but I got told people were using it sarcastically so it's okay.

People don't realise that using words like that in any capacity normalises it.
It's an interesting topic. The use of words like Mussie or N***** to highlight how stupid or offensive the other person sounds does work (note, that isn't necessarily sarcastic or ironic), but it probably loses some of its impact as written words on a large scale forum like Big Footy. It's also impossible to know the intent behind words when dealing with anonymous posters, as opposed to friends and family, whose views you are likely familiar with.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
It's an interesting topic. The use of words like Mussie or N***** to highlight how stupid or offensive the other person sounds does work

I've never seen it work. Even in quoting someone else word for word these kinds of slurs are usually omitted.

Aug 2, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Ducks, Angels
I'm glad to see that this word has now been censored from bigfooty, and replaced with 'genius' as it is offensive to women and homosexuals. However I see it still appears here, so I am thinking perhaps it does not apply to moderator posts for some reason.

Can you please remove your slur?

Thanks.

Why is that word specifically offensive to homosexuals?

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've never seen it work. Even in quoting someone else word for word these kinds of slurs are usually omitted.
I find it works when people are trying to skate around their bigotry; you know, the kind that think we need to crack down on 'immigration' because culturally these people tend to keep to themselves and don't embrace our culture.
"Like English people, who seem to buy in the same suburbs and form these soccer supporter clubs?"
"No, not English people,they're fine. I'm talking about immigrants."
"Ah, so South Africans, then?"
"No, no, not South Africans, immigrants."
"Kiwis?"
"IMMIGRANTS."
"Ah, brown people."
"I never said that."

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I find it works when people are trying to skate around their bigotry; you know, the kind that think we need to crack down on 'immigration' because culturally these people tend to keep to themselves and don't embrace our culture.
"Like English people, who seem to buy in the same suburbs and form these soccer supporter clubs?"
"No, not English people,they're fine. I'm talking about immigrants."
"Ah, so South Africans, then?"
"No, no, not South Africans, immigrants."
"Kiwis?"
"IMMIGRANTS."
"Ah, brown people."
"I never said that."

There's still no need to use other people's slurs. You could say Asian or African immigrants.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
botreport.jpg

Back