Did abletts refusal to play for GC for 2 yrs take away from his legacy?

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I dont see how a round 2 game against a bottom 10 side is any more meaningful then basically every game he played for the Suns?

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Already achieved everything a player could dream of and set himself up for life. Gets to come home on his own terms and just play some footy while the sun sets on his career.

Pretty sure he'd have absolutely zero complaints. Very few people have the opportunity to have full control of their destiny. This man is a lucky mofo.

If
Coming back to geelong was an error on behalf of his future wellbeing. Instead of setting his family up for generations he'll be left out in the financial wilderness forgoing a few million that we will never have the opportunity to make again.
If you can't make it on 6mill, probably wouldn't matter

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
See that game there? That tells you everything you need to know about Ablett’s terribly judged move to the Gold Coast.

Big game, huge crowd, huge pressure, in the balance and he’s right in the thick of it, almost willing his team over the line.

Precisely what he should have been doing for the past seven years.

Instead he spent it - a good part of his career, and his prime - up in Queensland either not playing, or playing in such meaningless games they might as well have been practice matches.

What a crying shame for him and footy watchers... it’s put an enormous hole on his legacy as one of the all-time greats.

cant blame him

Geelong is a $hithole

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
2 flags at the Cats and got out when things were going downhill with Bomber anyway.

Not convinced that 11, 12 and 13 weren't great for his career even if he didn't play in big games. Were the Cats close enough with him in 12 and 13? Ablett went to a new level being a one man team and was phenomenal.

His injury in 2014 was a footballing tragedy for he and the Suns. Just such a missed opportunity for that club. But maybe he gets injured at the Cats playing in so many big games.

15, 16, and 17 were wasted years. But that's on Gary signing a contract extension after 2015.

I'd say 3 good years. 2 injury interrupted years in 14 and 15. 2 wasted years the last two.

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Show me a man who turns down the money Gaz was offered and I'll show you a liar. It's obviously impacted his visibility in the AFL community as I'm sure not as many fans saw his games at Gold Coast as would have if he stayed at Geelong but he's still going to go down as the best midfielder and possible best player, full-stop, to play the game. If, despite 7 years in the wilderness, you're millions richer and your name is debated alongside the likes of Ablett Snr, Matthews and Carey for "GOAT" nods you haven't done too poorly out of this footy lark.

lol.

Abletts legacy has increased 2 fold by proving he could do it at Gold Coast

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not sure what your problem is, he was offered a contract that was simply to good to refuse, who the **** are you to judge? You'd probably change centrelink offices if one offered 5% more.
POTY

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And they still lost to a side that has been booting out their older players and GC look a lot better without Ablett. Maybe it's Ablett? :p

Last edited:

Lions_Prid3

Debutant
Jan 10, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coming back to geelong was an error on behalf of his future wellbeing. Instead of setting his family up for generations he'll be left out in the financial wilderness forgoing a few million that we will never have the opportunity to make again.
This is the dumbest thing I've read in some time. Please tell me you're joking? As far as I'm aware he doesn't have a gambling or drug addiction, and is still a professional footballer earning plenty. After years of being one of the highest earners in the game. If anything coming back to Geelong is brilliant for his future wellbeing, as he is near family again and clearly happy. You sir need a time-out from the internet.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
The standard a lot of you guys hold AFL players to is utterly absurd. The fact of the matter is that AFL is a ~10 year career for which you forfeit any form of tertiary education and establishment of a long-term career during the prime years of your working life. Then, after your 10 or so years are up you're back out on the streets, usually with a wrecked body. A select few may be offered coaching jobs and some others might be able to get admin jobs in the AFL industry but the ceiling on these jobs is tiny, and your job security in the coaching industry is equally tenuous. Point is, that AFL players of all people should be the ones trying to get as much money as possible during the short time they spend at the top. Ablett isn't a bad person for putting himself and his family/interests at number one, particularly not when it comes to a so-called moral consideration he should have for the corporate giant that is the AFL/GCS. A lot of you, I'm sure, have left your place of work for a better paying position, or have threatened to without receiving a promotion/benefit of some sort. To suggest that AFL players aren't allowed to, or shouldn't, get all the money they can from their employer whilst they are physically still able is a hypocritical and absurd proposition - especially given that many of us couldn't give a toss about our jobs/employers at all.
depends on how you see it. I mean, your AFL career could last 4-6 years and you be on $150-250,000 a year for those 6 years. Worse case scenario is if you spend half of it or pay off a $500,000 mortage of a house, If some are smart enough to do that.

then you have $200-300,000 left. Go to uni or TAFE or become a security guard or truck driver. If you have money left after your afl career is over, then study

Back