Did Hawthorn pick the wrong captain or do they just not have any good choices?

Remove this Banner Ad

Loken

Reality Educator
Apr 15, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Stratton is clearly showing the signs of frustration as he and his side slip from last years top 4 finish to mid table so far and with several older players looking like they will be moved on, there will no short term success coming his way.

A lot of Hawthorn supporters were against Stratton being named captain but were any of the choices any better?

Shiels, Smith, Burgoyne, McEvoy or maybe Mitchell. Do any of them scream leadership?

You could argue McEvoy does from the way he plays but i don't know what he's like offield and like so many of his teammates he's closer to the end than the beginning.

So did they pick the wrong captain or did they have no good choices?

Last edited:
Let's be honest here. Most supporters have absolutely no idea about what happens in footy clubs. For us, the captain does 90% of his job on match day, the other 10% of the job is done off field. In reality, it's most likely the complete opposite to that and the captains main job on match day is tossing the coin and running out first. No doubt there are moments in games etc where captains need to stand up etc, but the game is so regimented these days, with defence, mids and forwards in their own groups, there is likely a 'captain' on each line.

So if the players, who from memory pretty much voted unanimously for Stratton, thought he was the best option based on what he does for 90% of the time at the footy club, then it's hard to argue really.

In terms of match day, he's probably done this stuff for years, he's never been a big possession winner but someone who is rarely beaten. He's been down on form, but so have the whole club for much of the year

I would have gone with Paul Puopulo but even that is scraping the bottom on the barrel. I think they should recuit someone who can captain or give it to Poppy. Interestingly, the player who should be captain, Jarrod Roughead, has been discarded like a burnt piece of toast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team should pinch him for the rest of the reason so the flog can get what he deserves. What an embarrassment for Hawthorn to have that as their captain.

I think Chinese Burns are more appropriate, or even nipple cripples..

Obviously Roughie has BO, please send him a bar of Palmolive Gold.

The cowardly bruising of Fantasia's arm 163 meters behind play.
That doesn't suggest that he's frustrated about Hawthorn's play this season. It's what he does to get inside his opponents head.

I understand people are offended by his actions but can they stay realistic

Interestingly, the player who should be captain, Jarrod Roughead, has been discarded like a burnt piece of toast.

He voluntarily stood down as captain and is struggling massively in the VFL. Was goalless on the weekend.

The Hawthorn players were given the choice and decided on Stratton. Maybe in hindsight not the wisest move - he struggled in 2017, was excellent in 2018 but that may have been the star burning bright before burning out. Gunston as vice captain has also struggled this year.

Shiels or McEvoy are the likely candidates and I still reckon they could have given it to Burgoyne for a year. Going forward Blake Hardwick and Jarman Impey are the two that stand out as future leaders of the club.

I would have gone with Paul Puopulo but even that is scraping the bottom on the barrel. I think they should recuit someone who can captain or give it to Poppy. Interestingly, the player who should be captain, Jarrod Roughead, has been discarded like a burnt piece of toast.
You'd have to turn the barrel over to find Puopulo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back