Did Hawthorn pick the wrong captain or do they just not have any good choices?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great players don't necessarily make great captains. I mean Mitchell could be a great leader, I don't know, but the fact he has won a Brownlow should not be taken into consideration.
True but to me, winning a Brownlow demonstrates that you are a driven, committed & powerful individual. All traits that I think would make a great leader.

I felt at the time that some players were excluded as they weren't "born and bred". I don't agree with it, but JO'M was a clear standout from a leadership perspective.

Roughead is probably lucky to still be on the list, was chosen over better options last year, let alone this season. (Contextually he is of course both incredibly unlucky and lucky - honestly he cannot be compared with other players his age due to the cancer and aggressive treatment, how it has affected him physically and mentally).

Burgoyne was 35. Whilst he has more than earned the title, he has provided leadership since day 1 at the club, the title would make little difference to him other than adding to his off-field burden. As a family man nearing the end of his career, I don't think he would be particularly keen to take on the additional workload.

Rumoured that Shiels wasn't keen and withdrew, feeling he wasn't worthy to follow Mitchell and Hodge (and Rough), and needed to focus on his own game. (IMO would have been perfect for 1-2 years before JO'M). Same source had him putting his support behind JO'M.

Smith and Stratton are both senior, experienced, home grown players but are both the 'larrikin' type. Neither scream leadership.

Gunston, as a forward-cum-3rd-tall swingman has a tendency to be out of the play for long periods - a KPF captain is a pretty hard gig when a team needs inspiration.

Mitchell, O'Meara, McEvoy are all "imports". Mitchell hasn't shown the level of leadership of the other two, despite being the better performed player.

O'Meara (knee) and McEvoy (back) have both had long term concerns over injury and spend more time in rehab than training - perhaps concerned over the risk of extended period of absence?

Hardwick (22) and Worpel (20) both presented early on with leadership potential. I expect they will be promoted to leadership group over the next 2-3 seasons, and ultimately have potential to be a future captain of the club. Far too early for them now.

There's a quality field of vice-captains and a broad leadership group but none stand up and scream captain.

So if he was to be removed as Captain do you think they would let the players vote again?

Also why isn't McEvoy rated as captain material? He certainly leads on the field.

End of the day, he is the captain of the footy club. The leader of the players, so it should always be voted for by the players (even if the fans don't agree). If Clarko got to select a captain, we all know he would have chosen Wingard anyway, due to an insatiable love for him. But, whilst Mitchell hasn't proven himself as captain, I strongly believe he was chosen, and they scrambled last minute due to his injury. Has to be why we waited so late into the year (I can't remember the exact date but i think JLT had already started) to announce Stratton.

Honestly have no idea why Mcevoy isn't considered though. Maybe he's too quiet, maybe he's not interested, or maybe he only believes he has 1-2 years left in his body and wanted to push himself as much as he could? He'd be great to have out there as the face of the club (not a pretty one but a respected one).

The club's in a bit of a tricky spot right now, on the decline with aging players. Fans frustrated, because expectations are still high, despite the reality of our situation. Media still treating us like a top 4 team and making a big deal out of all of our losses, finding any chance to stick the knife in (as they do with all clubs), which just fires up the tragics even more. Opposition fans still love to hate us. Maybe the club decided they wanted someone with a backbone who isn't phased by criticism from media and fans, who can keep their head high and ride the bumps until things calm down and O'Meara/Worpel/Titch are ready to step up. Or maybe Stratts is just that popular kid in the class that nominated himself as joke and actually got voted in.

Before the pinching and stomping controversy I thought Stratton was an odd choice as captain. Great player but from the outside, not inspiring and never struck me as an on-field leader.

If I’m frank I’m a Jaeger man. Has carried the load in a big way. He, Sicily, Hardwick, Impey, Worpel and Mitchell are our future

Jags and Tom are two of the hardest trainers around and are as tough as they come. Man love

They have a batch of similarly experienced players and had to give the captaincy to someone.

Probably just the most popular guy within the club out of those mentioned.

I hardly think it’s his fault that the hawks aren’t better than 5-7 though.

Fantasia hadn’t played for 5 weeks
So what? Fantasia had gotten over his injury and he was fit to play. He'd been training for weeks.

He hadn't played for 3 weeks when he was picked to play against Sydney - he kicked 4 goals and was Essendon's BOG with 8 coaches' votes.

He still kicked 2 and gave another away.
When Fantasia soccered through that goal in the 1st quarter, he was being guarded by Blake Hardwick

10 seconds earlier, Stratton had courageously gone back into a pack about 40m from goal. He got his fist on the ball; he kept his feet and followed up his spoil by corralling two Essendon defenders against the boundary line. (One of them centred the ball to the goal square and Fantasia scored). So you can't blame him for that one. He was only Hawk to provide any defence on that inside fifty!

Fantasia kicked another goal in the 2nd quarter, but I can't remember anything about it.

Happy to say that Stratton conceded 1 goal to Essendon's most dangerous small forward
I don't reckon anyone could've done much better with a midfield that turned the ball over all night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd was captain when he was doing way worse things than Stratton on the field. Don’t remember these questions about him at the time.

FWIW, the players always vote the captain at Hawthorn. We only see the tip of the iceberg in what the captain is like around the club, so he might be doing an amazing job behind the scenes.

Stratts is a very popular guy, ripper bloke at the club and even well loved by oppo players (even runs a beer company with a few Essendon boys). I can see why he was picked despite being not the typical mould.

Has demonstrated many of the traits of previous Hawthorne captains beautifully in recent weeks, perfect selection...

Same could be said for Essendon. Two out of the last three are convicted drug cheats. Hopefully they can find some fresh , uncontaminated blood for the next one.

pinching was ****en stupid

but does that really mean he is automatically a dud skipper?
Say what you will, but I don’t think respected captains flash their middle finger at opposing cheer squads. He just looks weak as a result. Stratton’s actions demonstrate a lack of restraint, intellect and overall, leadership.

But as others have noted, the Hawks didn’t seem to be flooded with options.

pinching was ****en stupid

but does that really mean he is automatically a dud skipper?

it was a cowards act

sure he's not alone in making mistakes in life but it is hardly leadership qualities

it was a cowards act

sure he's not alone in making mistakes in life but it is hardly leadership qualities

true

but maybe its a learning experience, hodge was a great skipper, had the drink driving thing

wayne Carey had his moments, not a bad skipper

What an extraordinary defense.

Winning premierships = being allowed to be a dickhead

Geez yet great Hawthorn captains like Parkin, Crimo, Scott, Matthews, Tuck, Ayers, Langford or Dunstall didn't need to carry on like Stretton.
Not sure Lethal’s someone who’s on field efforts were all that squeaky clean

Not sure whether Stratts was the right or wrong choice but I wouldn't put the poor season down to him. Overachieved last year and when you lose your best player and reigning Brownlow medalist for the year, we were never competing imo

Not sure what natural leaders we have. McEvoy and Smith don't strike me as leaders, Burgoyne is 36. Possibly Shiels

the only other real obvious choice was burgoyne. but at 35 there's every chance you'll have to reappoint someone else next year anyway.

don't really see a lot of alternatives to stratton. maybe shiels?

I thought Shiels would've got it before it was announced, but I don't think there's many leaders around to be fair, they're relying heavily on Clarko and co to guide them in the right path.

So many leaders have left the club recently, Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge etc, hard to replace that type of leadership and motivation those guys brought to the table, they were a massive reason behind their 4 flags in their generation.

I'd imagine guys like Worpel and Hardwick are probably their future leaders, but they need a little more time and a couple more seasons under their belts.

the only other real obvious choice was burgoyne. but at 35 there's every chance you'll have to reappoint someone else next year anyway.

don't really see a lot of alternatives to stratton. maybe shiels?

It was probably out of Shiels, Gunston, Stratton and Smith. Mitchell and O'Meara were probably close to being in the mix, but with the leg break and both having played relatively few games for the club, they were probably not in the final cut.

Smith is a bit too casual, and can say some off the cuff stuff in the public eye when he should keep his mouth shut (last B&F, during his speech he blabbed Andrew Russell was leaving when nobody in the media knew at that point).

Not really sure why they went with Stratton over Shiels and Gunston. Had a good 2018, but 2017 was ordinary and seemed to be lacking passion that year before coming out with a strong 2018. He also seems to be somewhat of an odd-ball character rather than a 'leader of men' type. I'd probably have picked Mitchell before the leg break, and probably Shiels or Gunston after it. For mine, I'd have had Stratton second last in line, slightly ahead of Smith. Ideally, I think on-ballers make the best choice because they are in the action even when the ball isn't going down one end or the other (although in modern footy everyone seems around the footy, no matter what position they play).

Burgoyne would have been a good choice, but like you say, at 35, you're probably reappointing someone again pretty soon. Perhaps he really was the best option. Have him do the role while you wait for Mitchell's leg to heal , and then appoint Mitchell when Burgoyne retires. It is possible they asked, and Burgoyne just didn't want the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back