Did Milne cost St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just bad luck with the bounce, if it had of sat up he would have run into an easy goal and we would probably be premiers right now.

Easy to say in hindsight that he should have gone harder at the ball but there really isn't much more he could have done I don't think. Guess we should be grateful it bounced through for a point at least or we may have lost.

If you have ever played a game of footy you wouldnt even ask the question.

Thats 200 games of experience at the highest level and a cool head.

Could have bounced into his hands for a goal or could have bounced anywhere.

Attack the ball in that situation yeah ?...geeeezus.

If you want them to be psychic or know which way it will bounce then go back to watching soccer and a round ball.

St Kilda lost it (or rather, Didnt win it) for St Kilda... they rushed what? 5 behinds in Collingwoods attacking 50?

Just think... one of those points not rushed and they rebound and we'd have a 2010 GF winner.

Just an example of how you can twist anything that occured during the game and claim it affected the result. What if player x took that mark? What if player Y had laid that tackle?

Had he put a boot to it and it gone out on the full, I bet I would be contributing to the thread on how he lost the game for us by attempting to much.

He Could've attacked the footy harder in the last minute instead of waiting for a kind bounce.

Could he have bent down and collected it on the half volley or knocked it forward so it would sit up and then snap an easy goal on his left?

Was he hoping it would just roll through the big sticks and he actually did the right thing?
It bounced away from him, the only thing he could have done in hindsight was one of those crazy backward somersault kicks. I have yet to watch the replay but I don't think he could have reached it to collect it or knock it without favouring the Collingwood defender (forget who) running next to him. He did OK.

.......there were 44 trojans out there, in an epic battle.

it was bloody epic, and you know it. we can chest beat all we like, but nothing we say or do to the players or each other will take away one of the great grand finals in history for its passion, endeavour, skill, pressure etc.

I saw at one stage there were about 80 tackles each, the hardness of men on men was brilliant.

I am proud of my team. YES and the pies are of theirs.
Great post. All of it was excellent but edited for brevity. Should be the start of a thread on its own, not buried in this one. Well done from both teams

the fact that milne, one of the most disliked players of the last decade, is being defended, speaks volumes about the truth that he did not cost st kilda the flag. Did the right thing.

Sure, if he went harder he may have been able to pick it up, but he would have found it hard to score a goal at that angle and been closed down by a defender. I'm happy he at least secured the point

Hi, long time reader, first time poster.

The original question of this thread seems ridiculous to me. Even in the distorted view given by television, it seems obvious that the crazy bounce of the ball meant that there was little, if anything, Milne could have done. He would have had to be psychic.

Might as well ask whether Maxwell cost the Pies the game with his (otherwise) heroric chase, lunge and touch of Riewoldt's bouncing shot on goal, since it shortly thereafter turned into a seven-point-play! There's one you won't see in the papers.

*bump*

Every time I see a replay of that ball bounce in front of Milne and go through for a point in the 2010 GF, I still can't see why he slowed down when he did. The ball hadn't even gone past him.

Definitely looks like he could have got to it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*bump*

Every time I see a replay of that ball bounce in front of Milne and go through for a point in the 2010 GF, I still can't see why he slowed down when he did. The ball hadn't even gone past him.

Disagree, he played the percentages, he selected the best option and got a really dodgy bounce. You can't run around the footy field basing your decisions on getting freaky bounces. If anything blame the kicker, think it was Hayes? who rushed the kick more than he needed to.

*bump*

Strange bump. But anyway, the ball was at least 1-2m away from him and he just anticipated it would fall into his lap, as it would probably 95/100 times. It's not as if it was right at his feet. Copped the most unlucky of bounces, couldn't have done anything really.

092829-stephen-milne.jpg

milne.jpg

What did I do to deserve such rotten luck?

Was an unpredictable bounce to stay in and not go over the boundary, not surprising for the ball to then take another unpredictable bounce to go through the points

Strange bump. But anyway, the ball was at least 1-2m away from him and he just anticipated it would fall into his lap, as it would probably 95/100 times. It's not as if it was right at his feet. Copped the most unlucky of bounces, couldn't have done anything really.

View attachment 417890

The ball bounces towards him from a fair distance and he stops and watches it go past him without moving.

IMG_2264.jpg
IMG_2265.jpg

He barley moves a meter from the first pic to the second pic

I thought it was Rod Butterrs who cost St Kilda.

i mean....I heard people say that, and I thought it was total bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back