Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Top 10 draft pick.
Quickly developed into a 25 disposal, 5 clearance a game midfielder by his 3rd season.
Former club vice captain.
Traded for a top 10 draft pick to a giant Vic club.
Won a premiership and starred throughout the finals, stood up on Grand Final day.

Yet somehow not rated much at all. Injuries, shortness and playing a few years at an invisible club have seen him really fly right under the radar.
Mate, people are morons.

OneEyedHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 13, 2004
Ringwood East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We very clearly disagree. Out of curiosity though, do you think a player is having greater impact at the Hawks this year than Prestia at Richmond?

I'm not saying he hasn't been good this year, he clearly has. I just felt "insanely good" was a touch exaggerated.

From the Hawks this year, yeah probably no one. But we've had no one I'd classify as being overly impactful this year TBH. McEvoy makes a fairly decent impact and couldn't have done much more than he has, but aside from him, no real standout.

Mar 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Gave up pick 6 for a midget who had a crook knee and has looked absolutely cooked the past month. Slow and turns it over by foot and tends to dumble alot. I don't remember him being this bad at GC

Could have had SPP or Will Brodie for the next 10-12 years but now they have someone who has underperformed and on a huge pay packet.

This has aged about as well as the Dees 2019 season.

Conca Cuddle

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not saying he hasn't been good this year, he clearly has. I just felt "insanely good" was a touch exaggerated.

From the Hawks this year, yeah probably no one. But we've had no one I'd classify as being overly impactful this year TBH. McEvoy makes a fairly decent impact and couldn't have done much more than he has, but aside from him, no real standout.

I don't like arguing over semantics, especially when over different types of 'good' haha.

McEvoy has been good, Henderson in a similar boat IMO. What a difference Tom Mitchell makes to your team when he plays.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
This was my favourite article on the topic.

Richmond trading pick No.6 for Dion Prestia would be a mistake (paywalled)

'RICHMOND would be making a mistake trading pick No.6 for Dion Prestia in an attempt to bounce back quickly into the finals mix next season, according to Port Adelaide’s Kane Cornes.

Cornes said Richmond clearly overrated its list and should follow St Kilda’s plan to rebuild through the draft.

"They seem to think they are a Dion Prestia away from a final series, but I don’t see that at all."

Champion Essendon goalkicker Matthew Lloyd backed Cornes’ assessment said the Tigers should not bring in “any recycled players” this year, including Dion Prestia. Lloyd said the Tigers should keep pick No. 6 and aim higher in the draft.

“Instead of paying someone $600,000 and giving away pick No.6 in the draft, actually take a kid that you pay minimum wage who you hope will be better than Dion Prestia. I think they’re the type of decisions that Richmond have to start making.”
follow St Kilda's rebuild plan and not look close to making finals since or trade pick 6 for Prestia who would be St Kilda's best mid, hard choice there

Must admit I was a little skeptical, but he has totally won me over. One of our most important players this season. He is the inside grunt worker we have always needed.

If Prestia stays healthy for the remainder of the season, I can't help believing we are a serious force this year.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
follow St Kilda's rebuild plan and not look close to making finals since or trade pick 6 for Prestia who would be St Kilda's best mid, hard choice there

Regardless of what stage of development your club is at, a good 23yo midfielder is not going to be a wrong choice. And as only the 12th-oldest team in 2016, we definitely didn't require a rebuild.

We needed a better gameplan, and got it.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
The Welcome stranger (nugget)

His solid nuggety build and hardness sure makes up for his lack of inches.

Mr Dependabull

Has been so consistent and I think has only missed 1 game this year. Getting the ball 30 odd times a game recently and using it well. As mentioned odds on to grab the Jack Dyer and one could argue that he has been Richmonds most important player this season.

He’s in contention to win the b&f. After finally having a preseason.

He’s just clicking into showing what he’s capable of. Had a great year.

Conca Cuddle

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Players in career-best form. (Four-week average, min three games)

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
All Australian contention? Lol

Played all 19 games. 12 games at 28+ disposals, only under 20 disposals once (and that was 17). Averages 5.5 tackles and leading the score involvements (125) at a club bound for finals. Doesn't have those massive games like Fyfe and Cripps, but doesn't do a disappearing act some weeks either. He's got to be in the conversation.

Back