Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
The last 21 posts in this forum are from Richmond supporters. This is where the Richmond circle-jerk perception comes from. Its hilarious.

We get it, externally he isn't rated, internally you rate him extremely highly. It's like you think you're the only club who has a player like that. Tay Adams is highly rated internally at Collingwood, won the best finals player at Collingwood in a year we made the GF over the bloke who won the best finals player in the competition (Steele Sidebottom) and is incredibly important structurally. Externally all any talks about are his average disposals (with little to no statistics to back it up). So be it.

Being at the game on Sunday he certainly wasn't the most damaging player on the ground. He has an incredible amount of fumbles and had very few really damaging disposals. He seems like a guy you want actually having slightly less of the ball and those disposals going to someone like Lambert, Cotchin and Edwards who are much more efficient, or Martin who is much more damaging. The 23 disposals a game in 2017 was the sweet spot. Prestia having 35 isn't really what I'd be after if I was a Richmond fan. Tom Phillips is the same at my club, 22 disposals gets the tick, when he has 35 it ends up hurting us.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The last 21 posts in this forum are from Richmond supporters. This is where the Richmond circle-jerk perception comes from. Its hilarious.

We get it, externally he isn't rated, internally you rate him extremely highly. It's like you think you're the only club who has a player like that. Tay Adams is highly rated internally at Collingwood, won the best finals player at Collingwood in a year we made the GF over the bloke who won the best finals player in the competition (Steele Sidebottom) and is incredibly important structurally. Externally all any talks about are his average disposals (with little to no statistics to back it up). So be it.

Being at the game on Sunday he certainly wasn't the most damaging player on the ground. He has an incredible amount of fumbles and had very few really damaging disposals. He seems like a guy you want actually having slightly less of the ball and those disposals going to someone like Lambert, Cotchin and Edwards who are much more efficient, or Martin who is much more damaging. The 23 disposals a game in 2017 was the sweet spot. Prestia having 35 isn't really what I'd be after if I was a Richmond fan. Tom Phillips is the same at my club, 22 disposals gets the tick, when he has 35 it ends up hurting us.
Without sounding like a hysterical Richmond supporter.... really.
He was the cleanest player on the ground by some way. Prestia had 11 clearances and 9 inside 50's, and won just about every 50-50 he went to. Hence the coaches giving him 9 votes. Clearance king Cripps had 37 possessions and 4 clearances and 3 inside 50's.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was the cleanest player on the ground by some way. Prestia had 11 clearances and 9 inside 50's, and won just about every 50-50 he went to. Hence the coaches giving him 8 votes. Clearance king Cripps had 37 possessions and 4 clearances and 3 inside 50's.
Was definitely better than Cripps on the weekend, no doubt about that. The stats you provided are correct however he also turned the ball over more than anyone on the ground and significantly more than anyone at Richmond. I personally prefered Lamberts game (25 disposals but 20 Effective, less than half the turnovers and the same number of Score Assists) or obviously Grahams game (4 Goals, 14 tackles) much more than Prestia's. Also thought Houli was damaging by foot and Kreuzer's ruck work was great.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Was definitely better than Cripps on the weekend, no doubt about that. The stats you provided are correct however he also turned the ball over more than anyone on the ground and significantly more than anyone at Richmond. I personally prefered Lamberts game (25 disposals but 20 Effective, less than half the turnovers and the same number of Score Assists) or obviously Grahams game (4 Goals, 14 tackles) much more than Prestia's. Also thought Houli was damaging by foot and Kreuzer's ruck work was great.
Coaches don't agree with you.

9 Dion Prestia
8 Jack Graham
6 Shane Edwards
4 Nick Vlastuin
3 Liam Jones

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Well more possessions in the wet you will turn it over more especially by foot. Although he is not a great kick. But the amount of contested or even loose spilt balls he was able to swoop on in the heat and break away was to me what made him best on. Each to their own, (although the coaches agreed with me having the last word).

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Sorry that does not make sense. Disposal efficiency doesn't get better the less disposals you get. You want him to get it less, just in case Cotchin or Martin happen to get the ball instead? Personally, I'd rather him winning the ball @ a stoppage and handing it off to Dusty, Lambert etc. to spread. Prestia getting it 35 times will never 'hurt us', it will mean we are actually matching the opposition in contested ball and clearances, something we are the worst in the league at.

He has never been more effective than right now and without checking I'd be staggered if his disposal efficiency was less than Cotchins. He has been one of our cleanest players this season, particularly in the wet of late.

Aug 13, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry that does not make sense. Disposal efficiency doesn't get better the less disposals you get. You want him to get it less, just in case Cotchin or Martin happen to get the ball instead? Personally, I'd rather him winning the ball @ a stoppage and handing it off to Dusty, Lambert etc. to spread. Prestia getting it 35 times will never 'hurt us', it will mean we are actually matching the opposition in contested ball and clearances, something we are the worst in the league at.

He has never been more effective than right now and without checking I'd be staggered if his disposal efficiency was less than Cotchins. He has been one of our cleanest players this season, particularly in the wet of late.
Prestia I think suffers from the fact he has very small hands for his size and as such struggles with really gripping the ball. I actually met him a couple of years ago and was shocked by it. I think at times it affects his kicking ability for similar reasons as his marking, its just a grip thing. His low center of gravity and ability to keep his feet are A+ grade and even his vision is top-notch, he just needs to take the easy option to limit how exposed his flaws are (like a lot of blokes)

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Prestia I think suffers from the fact he has very small hands for his size and as such struggles with really gripping the ball. I actually met him a couple of years ago and was shocked by it. I think at times it affects his kicking ability for similar reasons as his marking, its just a grip thing. His low center of gravity and ability to keep his feet are A+ grade and even his vision is top-notch, he just needs to take the easy option to limit how exposed his flaws are (like a lot of blokes)
Agree he needs to take the easy option at times but his kicking has improved this year for sure. Have seen him kick a few low darts which I didn't know he was capable of but he is a poor kick for goal though.

It's not a coincidence that the year he's playing the best footy of his career is also the year he's getting the most footy. Plus he's probably our best 2 way runner. Love the meatball.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Coaches don't agree with you.

9 Dion Prestia
8 Jack Graham
6 Shane Edwards
4 Nick Vlastuin
3 Liam Jones
Excessive Booing is obviously trolling... Prestia, Graham, Edwards were all close to best on ground the coaches votes say that but can't have anyone saying other players were better than those guys.

Conca Cuddle

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Dion is a massive contributor in clearances, an area we struggle in. I do want the ball in his hands, not necessarily to finish the hard work but to extract to our classier users. If he has it 35 times, I'm very happy. I guess there's a lot of Tigers supporters jumping on to lol at the thread title. Thanks for interrupting the circle jerk, now I've lost my concentration

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
He was the cleanest player on the ground by some way. Prestia had 11 clearances and 9 inside 50's, and won just about every 50-50 he went to. Hence the coaches giving him 8 votes. Clearance king Cripps had 37 possessions and 4 clearances and 3 inside 50's.
They gave him 9 votes. Cripps deservedly got none.

If 'Tay' Adams even dreams of being as good as Dion, he better wake up and slap himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
You reckon it is his hands. I reckon if he fumbled at all, it might have had to do with the freezing pouring conditions. Prestia is so low to the ground that he is able to pick up the ball while looking around him, which is the main reason he is almost never tackled. Matthew Knights was the same, Dal Santo.

Gave up pick 6 for a KPD who had fat gut and has looked absolutely cooked the whole season. Slow and turns it over by foot and tends to blame teammates a lot. I don't remember him being this bad at GC

Could have had Ben King for the next 10-12 years but now they have someone who has underperformed and on a huge pay packet.
There I fixed it for you.

Gave up pick 6 for a midget who had a crook knee and has looked absolutely cooked the past month. Slow and turns it over by foot and tends to dumble alot. I don't remember him being this bad at GC

Could have had SPP or Will Brodie for the next 10-12 years but now they have someone who has underperformed and on a huge pay packet.

Dude, you go for Melbourne.

Its a pity they traded for Prestia we like trading with Richmond too... Hampson and Yarran being two standouts.

Please don't stop trading with us leave all other clubs alone. Remember you always want to rip us a new one and win in all trades.

Thanks for Shaun Grigg. Also, thanks for taking Stoker. Dodged a bullet there. Also nice to see remorse about how your club ruined Yazz's life.

Last edited:
Mistake - too early to call.
Overpaid? I'd say so.
Made it pretty clear for weeks before trade period they were going to land a big fish so went through with it along with a bit of chest beating.
Has never been a great user, slightly quicker than average and not tall.
To be arguably the highest paid or very close to it at Richmond seems pretty ridiculous at this stage.
Reckon they'd give him back for SPS!

How's Lever and May working out?

It's a pity that points are completely irrelevant given you had no use for them. It's just a nice way to make yourself feel better about the trade.

Instead of some imaginary nonsense scenario where you had the choice between Caddy + Prestia or Mcluggage, why don't you just talk about what you gave away in real terms for them? Pick 6 (Scrimshaw) and your 2017 second is much simpler and actually reflects what you gave up.

Yeah, where's Scrimshaw playing right now? Great insight draft guru.

Interesting that you took that post to be some sort of snipe at your recruitment when I never actually offered an opinion. All I said was that using points to create some imaginary scenario where you guys had the choice between Mcluggage or Prestia+Caddy didn't accurately reflect the cost. Yes, it reeks of an attempt to justify the cost paid. Do I personally think the cost was to high? It looks that way currently, but 6 games is too small a sample size to make a call like that.

Calm your s**t and stop mouthing off. Your post reeks of bitterness over missing out on Treloar and shows a complete ignorance of where Collingwood's list is actually at. Concentrate on what the thread is actually about rather than trying to turn this in to a Collingwood vs Richmond dick measuring contest, yeah?

Getting Treloar would of seen us miss out on Rioli, Prestia and Graham. Thank god we got 3 premiership heroes and not some mercenary ball butcher.

Wowee he was horrendous. Looking like a major trade blunder with each poor game he has.

Pick 6...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back