Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Mar 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I said Prestia is a good player.

I still stand by my Caddy call. Wouldn’t call him anything more than a a decent footballer. Just plays in a good side these days.

You can't seriously think Caddy's last three seasons have been ordinary can you?

His back half in 2017 was phenomenal, in 2018 he kicked 46 (! would have been Carlton's leading goalscorer!!) and this year he moved to a wing and was an integral cog in our side.

Come on man, he's far from an ordinary player.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
You can't seriously think Caddy's last three seasons have been ordinary can you?

His back half in 2017 was phenomenal, in 2018 he kicked 46 (! would have been Carlton's leading goalscorer!!) and this year he moved to a wing and was an integral cog in our side.

Come on man, he's far from an ordinary player.
Fine maybe I’m a bit harsh on him.

Look as a forward he is more than handy. But I also think he benefits greatly from the way Richmond plays. When I watch Caddy I don’t think gee this bloke is an absolute star.

When I made that original post Hardwick probably still had him on the ball and I’ve never rated him as an on-baller.

Worst 5-0 team ever, doubles down with won't win a final lol
trawling through comments made 3 years ago at 3am on a Tuesday night, I really feel sorry for you

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Mar 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
trawling through comments made 3 years ago at 3am on a Tuesday night, I really feel sorry for you

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Not sure a demons fan has any right to show anyone any sympathy...

Where do you live by the way? Kazakhstan? I guess it's 3am somewhere in the world.

PS good try deflecting, Nostradamus

Last edited:

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Just to inform the thread a bit...

The trade was:

Prestia and pick 24
for
Pick 6 and Richmonds 2017 2nd rounder.

So really, a bit less than pick 6, how much less depends on where Richmond end up.

nb. Pick 24 (+64) was then traded to Geelong for Caddy+56.

So ultimately, Richmond traded 6 (Scrimshaw-GC), 64 (Narkle-Geel) & 2017 2nd(???) for Prestia, Caddy & 56 (Jack Graham).

When you lay it out that way, the Tiges made out like bandits.

Not sure a demons fan has any right to show anyone any sympathy...

Where do you live by the way? Kazakhstan? I guess it's 3am somewhere in the world.

PS good try deflecting, Nostradamus
Sorry it was 11.30pm on a Tuesday night when you were trawling around posts from 3 years ago and quoting them.

You must have an awesome life.....or be on school holidays

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
'The worst 5-0 team ever'' call was particularly odd considering just the year before, the kangaroos went 9-0 and almost missed the finals before being pumped out of them in the elimination final.

Was not worth taking the guy seriously then and it has been proved time and again over the course of the last three years.
He was obviously clueless.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I love Bigfooty. The last quote is the pick of the thread.

Some very interesting posts from around May/June 2017 :$

He is very good. I stand by my comment about Suns players from that era being buyer beware because of injuries. Harley Bennell being an obvious example.

Thankfully your club has managed Prestia and Lynch well.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Gave up a Premium pick for a premium player in Prestia
Gave up and OK pick for an OK player in Caddy
Gave up a poor pick for a very good and structurally important player in Nankervis.

Then won 2 flags.

Given they finished 13th in 2016, this is one of the greatest list evaluations I've ever seen.

Too right Ricky Vaughn, and still kicking

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
All i know is that most AFL footballers and Coaches rate winning the B&f In a premiership year as being one of the biggest accolades a player can get
Prestia won Richmonds B & F in a premiership year in a team that icluded players
Cotchin , Martin , Vlastuin,Grimes,Riewoldt ,Lynch,Lambert.

Personally for me this is a higher honour than AA selection

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Yeah, Prestia has become a pretty well rounded and complete player. I probably didnt watch enough Richmond games to really notice however he missed 2 games and was ultra consistent in most games as well. Might not be a dude you think of an AA player, but an unsung hero for Richmond. I think in general the AA teams are filled with the players who win the most contested possession for the good teams guys like Prestia for his blocking and grunt work get overlooked.

As much as you want your Cotchins and Martins, You want someone like Prestia fighting for the ball, working hard and giving grief to opposition midfielders.

probably around mid 2017 like a lot of Richmond players it just clicked for him and hasnt looked back since. Havent seen him play a bad game since the 2018 preliminary either. Ultra consistent year and good on him.

Not interested in pissing contests or "Who's the better player" For a guy who played a role, a solid role in every game Prestia did. He may be a "B grade midfielder" but if he's your third/fourth best midfielder you are going to do pretty well.

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Not interested in pi**ing contests or "Who's the better player" For a guy who played a role, a solid role in every game Prestia did. He may be a "B grade midfielder" but if he's your third/fourth best midfielder you are going to do pretty well.
Mate, I'm not being agro or anything, but as you said, you must not watch us much.

Since the bye he's the No.1 ranked player in the comp!! He's not B grade, not at all.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Mate, I'm not being agro or anything, but as you said, you must not watch us much.

Since the bye he's the No.1 ranked player in the comp!! He's not B grade, not at all.
I put the quote marks as "b grade" as people think of him as a b grader. He's not a b grade. He's a pretty close to elite just playing his role to perfection. In a lot of other teams he would be heralded a lot more then he does at Richmond.

Dustin Credible

Club Legend
Mar 14, 2010
Hexham
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the 2017 pick ended up being Petrucelle and 24 became Parfitt

Which makes it Scrimshaw/Narkle/Parfitt/Petrucelle vs Prestia/Caddy/Graham.

I was already in the camp that says we tend to over-rate high end draft picks vs. established talent but still... Bloody hell we did well out of all that!

Just to inform the thread a bit...

The trade was:

Prestia and pick 24
for
Pick 6 and Richmonds 2017 2nd rounder.

So really, a bit less than pick 6, how much less depends on where Richmond end up.

nb. Pick 24 (+64) was then traded to Geelong for Caddy+56.

So ultimately, Richmond traded 6 (Scrimshaw-GC), 64 (Narkle-Geel) & 2017 2nd(???) for Prestia, Caddy & 56 (Jack Graham).

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think the 2017 pick ended up being Petrucelle and 24 became Parfitt

Which makes it Scrimshaw/Narkle/Parfitt/Petrucelle vs Prestia/Caddy/Graham.

I was already in the camp that says we tend to over-rate high end draft picks vs. established talent but still... Bloody hell we did well out of all that!

You haven’t got that right at all. Tigers start with pick 6, 37(2017) and 64. Without losing anything else we ultimately get Prestia, Caddy and Graham. Those three picks turned into Scrimshaw, Petrucelle and Narkle. So from a Richmond perspective that is the equation although almost certainly we wouldn’t have taken those players with those picks had we gone to the draft with them.

You have confused the issue because as part of the Prestia deal we got pick 24 coming back our way from the Suns. So the Suns gave up the pick used for Parfitt, not Richmond.

Presuming all picks were used on the same players regardless of which club owned to pick:

Richmond got Prestia, Caddy, Graham and gave up Scrimshaw, Petrucelle and Narkle, so far the worst of the Tiger trio has done better than the best of the other three.

Gold Coast got Scrimshaw and Petrucelle(which they on traded in a convoluted and lopsided deal with Eagles) and gave up Prestia and Parfitt. Horror deal for them.

And Cats got Parfitt and Narkle and gave up Caddy and Graham. Possibly working out ok for the Cats but they are a bit behind at this stage.

Back