Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, Prestia has become a pretty well rounded and complete player. I probably didnt watch enough Richmond games to really notice however he missed 2 games and was ultra consistent in most games as well. Might not be a dude you think of an AA player, but an unsung hero for Richmond. I think in general the AA teams are filled with the players who win the most contested possession for the good teams guys like Prestia for his blocking and grunt work get overlooked.

As much as you want your Cotchins and Martins, You want someone like Prestia fighting for the ball, working hard and giving grief to opposition midfielders.

probably around mid 2017 like a lot of Richmond players it just clicked for him and hasnt looked back since. Havent seen him play a bad game since the 2018 preliminary either. Ultra consistent year and good on him.

Not interested in pi**ing contests or "Who's the better player" For a guy who played a role, a solid role in every game Prestia did. He may be a "B grade midfielder" but if he's your third/fourth best midfielder you are going to do pretty well.
Actually, Cotchin is a low possession, grunt type, hard worker for the last few years now.
But agree with your post.

To get him for basically pick 6 has turned out an absolute bargain especially considering players of lesser quality general fetch 2 first rounders. Criminal he wasnt AA and Pendlebury was
Maybe not externally, but I reckon Prestia would value B&F in a premiership team higher than an AA selection. No knock on any of the AA team.

Prestia always played 2nd fiddle to Ablett at the GC and hence wasnt rated as high.y as he should have been.

He has been a gun mid since he was drafted. Not flashy, not super fast, not tall, but a pure ball winner and footballer.

His value at the time was never in doubt to me and many others.

Yeah, Prestia has become a pretty well rounded and complete player. I probably didnt watch enough Richmond games to really notice however he missed 2 games and was ultra consistent in most games as well. Might not be a dude you think of an AA player, but an unsung hero for Richmond. I think in general the AA teams are filled with the players who win the most contested possession for the good teams guys like Prestia for his blocking and grunt work get overlooked.

As much as you want your Cotchins and Martins, You want someone like Prestia fighting for the ball, working hard and giving grief to opposition midfielders.

probably around mid 2017 like a lot of Richmond players it just clicked for him and hasnt looked back since. Havent seen him play a bad game since the 2018 preliminary either. Ultra consistent year and good on him.

Not interested in pi**ing contests or "Who's the better player" For a guy who played a role, a solid role in every game Prestia did. He may be a "B grade midfielder" but if he's your third/fourth best midfielder you are going to do pretty well.

Great post until that last paragraph, but I see you have tried to qualify what you meant since then, so all good. I've found Hawk fans by far the most willing of all oppo supporters to view the Richmond finals campaign without a massive chip on their shoulder, so that's definitely been well received, at least by me. Maybe their superb modern culture of winning makes them less susceptible to chronic insecurity than others.

I went to nearly all Richmond games in Melbourne this year, barring a couple while I was overseas midyear, so can say without hesitation that Prestia was clearly our best player throughout 2019. Better than Grimes, better than Lynch, and yes better than Dusty. In fact, too many Tiger supporters got side-tracked in AA discussion vouching for Dusty's inclusion, when they missed this bloke who was right under their nose, who should've been a certainty.

As I posted somewhere else, Prestia was the clear best player in the clear best team of the year - he should've been AA no matter what criteria is being used. But unfortunately he was simply a victim of not playing a sexy enough game style ... seriously, people were nominating the likes of Sidebottom, Duncan and Merrett in front of him. Maybe these blokes had a big Friday night game or two ... often that's enough to trigger the inertia going for a player? Or maybe these kind of players got them over the line in their supercoach league?

Whatever it was, give me Prestia's work rate, his attack on the footy, his tackling, his willingness to run both ways, his pace and his footy smarts anytime.

Great post until that last paragraph, but I see you have tried to qualify what you meant since then, so all good. I've found Hawk fans by far the most willing of all oppo supporters to view the Richmond finals campaign without a massive chip on their shoulder, so that's definitely been well received, at least by me. Maybe their superb modern culture of winning makes them less susceptible to chronic insecurity than others.

I went to nearly all Richmond games in Melbourne this year, barring a couple while I was overseas midyear, so can say without hesitation that Prestia was clearly our best player throughout 2019. Better than Grimes, better than Lynch, and yes better than Dusty. In fact, too many Tiger supporters got side-tracked in AA discussion vouching for Dusty's inclusion, when they missed this bloke who was right under their nose, who should've been a certainty.

As I posted somewhere else, Prestia was the clear best player in the clear best team of the year - he should've been AA no matter what criteria is being used. But unfortunately he was simply a victim of not playing a sexy enough game style ... seriously, people were nominating the likes of Sidebottom, Duncan and Merrett in front of him. Maybe these blokes had a big Friday night game or two ... often that's enough to trigger the inertia going for a player? Or maybe these kind of players got them over the line in their supercoach league?

Whatever it was, give me Prestia's work rate, his attack on the footy, his tackling, his willingness to run both ways, his pace and his footy smarts anytime.

The balded section above is what separates him from so many of the "sexy" mids.

B&F in a premiership is the best individual honour a player can receive, in my opinion. Order are:

1. B&F Premiership year
2. Brownlow Premiership year
3. Brownlow
4. B&F
5. AA

I'm obviously not saying Prestia is a better player than Fyfe - just that I think he will look back upon that with greater fondness than any Brownlow he may possibly win.

I haven't included AFL MVPs or Coaches award, because they are just variations on the Brownlow. You can replace the Brownlow with those if you wish. I don't want to get into a p***ing contest about which is more 'worthy' or 'credible' - they are all just ways of choosing the 'Best Player over the Season over all clubs'.

Coleman - Im not sure how to rate that at all. We don't give awards for 'most hit-outs' or 'most contested marks'. Obviously Goals are the most important statistic in our game, but the whole aim is for the TEAM to get goals - not an individual player.

Gave up a Premium pick for a premium player in Prestia
Gave up and OK pick for an OK player in Caddy
Gave up a poor pick for a very good and structurally important player in Nankervis.

Then won 2 flags.

Given they finished 13th in 2016, this is one of the greatest list evaluations I've ever seen.

Pick 6 and 2017 second round pick for Prestia and 24,
The Tiges traded 24 and 64 to the Cats for Caddy , 53 (Jack Graham) and 60
Cats picks 24 (Parfitt) and pick 60 (Narkle)

Plus that year the Tiges ended up with the Cats 2017 first round pick in the Deledio/Touhey, Smedts/GWS trade, where they picked up the mega exciting Callum Coleman Jones.

And two other 2016 recruits were Neil Balme from Collingwood and Blake Caracella fronm Geelong.

With the help of the Cats theTiges absolutely nailed 2016 off field. :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus that year the Tiges ended up with the Cats 2017 first round pick in the Deledio/Touhey, Smedts/GWS trade, where they picked up the mega exciting Callum Coleman Jones.

And two other 2016 recruits were Neil Balme from Collingwood and Blake Caracella fronm Geelong.

Didn't we get pick 24 as priority for Ty Vickary.

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Geelong's 2017 first-rounder we traded to Brisbane for 20 and 25, netting us Coleman-Jones and Balta - the best young ruck talent we've had since Ottens, and Alex Rance Jr. Plus the GWS third-rounder from the Lids deal helped pay for Pat Naish. That is an unbelievable result from trading an injury-riddled 30-year-old who would play 32 more games.

Didn't we get pick 24 as priority for Ty Vickary.

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty sure it ended up being pick 29, which we used to draft Bolton. Another massive win.

When you combine these deals with the one that saw us effectively use picks 7, 39 and 60 for Prestia, Caddy and Graham, plus 46 for Nankervis, and then nothing for Stack and Pickett, on top of Short, Castagna, Lambert and Soldo in the one rookie draft, and it should be pretty plain to see why Richmond is the clear number 1 club in the comp right now.

Maybe not externally, but I reckon Prestia would value B&F in a premiership team higher than an AA selection. No knock on any of the AA team.
B&F in a Premiership side would be 1000 times more important than AA selection.
I would gaurantee every non Tiger in this years AA side would give it up in a heartbeat for a flag alone, add a B&F and its a no brainer.
I reckon ultimately a Norm Smith for the winning side would be the pinnacle. Nothing would beat that.

De Boar was talked up as the tagging GOAT prior to the game, how did Prestia get a dozen odd first quarter touches?

Was Martin shifting forward at times too confusing or something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back