Did Someone Say KFC?

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean this?

"Chickens' throats are slit and the animals are dropped into tanks of scalding-hot water to remove their feathers, often while they are still conscious and able to feel pain. KFC lets frustrated factory-farm and slaughterhouse workers handle live birds, so many of the animals end up being sadistically abused." from: Why KFC? - Kentucky Fried Cruelty

What I don't understand is besides the ethical considerations ( & that's a pretty big besides) why go for unhealthy products? In case anyone didn't notice there's an obesity epidemic out there and a diabetes type 2 epidemic out there caused in large part by eating processed foods. Why be promoting unhealthy fatty foods whose advertising often targets kids?

Have a think about the garbage you just quoted.

KFC “lets” slaughterhouse workers handle live birds? Pretty hard for chicken processors to do their job without first handling live birds?

Given KFC sources from the likes of Inghams and Steggles, they would employ exactly zero slaughtermen in Australia.

You might want to look for better material.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Have a think about the garbage you just quoted.

KFC “lets” slaughterhouse workers handle live birds? Pretty hard for chicken processors to do their job without first handling live birds?

Given KFC sources from the likes of Inghams and Steggles, they would employ exactly zero slaughtermen in Australia.

You might want to look for better material.

Sorry, I forgot; , the chickens roam around living happy fulfilling lives and willingly slit their own throats; the chickens aren't killed at all by any human intervention. ::D

Big Bash is a league, not a club. There’s not the emotive attachment to a league like there is to a club. If KFC started sponsoring the AFL, nobody would care one way or the other.
Understand but people are calling out KFC practices (along with it being unhealthy food), which I can't comment on as I'm not sure what they do or don't do that's controversial, but we play in the AFL who have sponsors such as Maccas, Coca Cola, Sportsbet and many more along the same lines so if they are aggrieved with us taking up such a sponsorship, you'd think they would be upset enough to stop following AFL by extension given social links that can be made through those.

Sorry, I forgot; , the chickens roam around living happy fulfilling lives and willingly slit their own throats; the chickens aren't killed at all by any human intervention. ::D

The point was that the chooks have to be handled alive in order to end up dead. A fast food restaurant that buys processed chicken is about as complicit in their deaths as someone buying a Steggles breast from Woolies. Do you do that?

I reckon if KFC added Greek spaghetti with chicken.. Greek grilled chicken pitas.. Greek style lemon garlic chicken.. to their menu.. we wouldn't be having this argument.. you can quickly scoff down a zinger or whatever if you're rushing to get to the footy say for eg.. or you can take your time with a nice Greek meal.. each to their own I suppose. Be grouse I reckon if they did that and that re sort of a thing and that re.

Last edited:
Yeah, we delegate health and fitness to "the stars" while smoking drinking gamblng eating fast food... and watching them on the telly.

Explains why we get into demarkation disputes with ‘the stars’ when they get busted smoking, drinking, or gambling 🤔

What I don't understand is besides the ethical considerations ( & that's a pretty big besides) why go for unhealthy products? In case anyone didn't notice there's an obesity epidemic out there and a diabetes type 2 epidemic out there caused in large part by eating processed foods.

On this topic, I saw something very recently in US figures how about how obese folks and diabetics are dying of Covid at much higher rates than their representation in the national population.

The point was that the chooks have to be handled alive in order to end up dead. A fast food restaurant that buys processed chicken is about as complicit in their deaths as someone buying a Steggles breast from Woolies. Do you do that?

I’m not a vegan but I do think that’s the most ethical of all options.

Chooks apart from some free range ones are just kept in horrendous conditions let alone

We have 3 chooks in our suburban back yard who are are well looked after.

I try to eat free range chicken since I became aware of the conditions of chickens being farmed; hopefully that means humane raising, rearing and when they meet their maker (so to speak) a quick end.

As an aside Australia still hasn’t banned factory farmed eggs which is gob smacking. I won’t continue this further coz I don’t want to get egg on my face.

On this topic, I saw something very recently in US figures how about how obese folks and diabetics are dying of Covid at much higher rates than their representation in the national population.
Correct weight.

Diabetes and obesity are at epidemic proportions and are directly attributable to eating processed foods in Australia and the US. That’s my (significant) gripe with using KFC as a sponsor. Their marketing to children is another concern.

Now let me get back to my kale and alfalfa.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct weight.

Diabetes and obesity are at epidemic proportions and are directly attributable to eating processed foods in Australia and the US. That’s my (significant) gripe with using KFC as a sponsor. Their marketing to children is another concern.

👍

😲 😥 🤮 🙃

All the grievances of sponsors from the SJWs:

No one is picketing the Club for change, some of us are just expressing an opinion or venting a club decision on a forum... which we all do most weeks with the team selection.

So no need to pull the SWJ trigger just because the world is changing a bit too fast for you.

At the end of the day we are still all stumping up for membership every year.

No one is picketing the Club for change, some of us are just expressing an opinion or venting a club decision on a forum... which we all do most weeks with the team selection.

So no need to pull the SWJ trigger just because the world is changing a bit too fast for you.

At the end of the day we are still all stumping up for membership every year.
It was sarcastic. I am a progressive person. But I have removed the post.

Maybe its a sign we will play fast footy?

We can use KFC as motivation for the lads.. if they're gonna wear the KFC logo and that re.. they can look at it as a reminder to stay sharp and on their toes at all times on the pitch and that re sort of a thing..

We've all watched Rocky no doubt and that re.. remember the scene when Mickey told Rocky to catch the chicken.. and Rocky said.. why do I got to catch a chicken for and that re sort of a thing.. and Mickey said.. if you can catch the thing.. you can catch greased lightning.. it's all Miyagi s**t re.. you know with Daniel Son catching flies with chopsticks and that re.. man who catches blowfly with chopstick accomplish anything.... same s**t.. different smell and that re.

Last edited:
I like to sprinkle nasturtiums on most things I eat, but yes I think chooks are bloody stupid.

While I don’t think they’ll join Mensa anytime soon nor be chess grandmasters I have changed my mind since having them. My chickens drew my attention to this link:

While I don’t think they’ll join Mensa anytime soon nor be chess grandmasters I have changed my mind since having them. My chickens drew my attention to this link:

Cigarette companies, Breweries-and-distilleries, fast food brands, all have been aligning themselves to elite athletes, teams, and sporting events through sponsorship for many decades. Many places and some sports now ban some of these industries from doing so.

This is an unashamed attempt at convincing impressionable young adults, (and increasingly children -who idolize their favourite sports and sports stars) that it is perfectly ok to enjoy their products, maintaining the illusion that they are just like them, many are younger kids who may even harbour ambitions of emulating these stars and 'copying' them in certain detail.

In Epicurean philosophy, it is a sort of marketing communications sleight of hand: selling a commercial want by convincing the buyer it is filling an emotional need, (which of course it never does, and we simply end up almost immediately shifting our desire toward something else).

It's crude, cynical and probably quite dangerous.

Caveat-emptor: I have been and am still employed as a marketing communications person in the alcoholic beverage industry and have done so for the past 30 years.

"when comparing the proportion of obese men and women across OECD countries, Australia had the 2nd highest proportion of obese men (32%), behind the United States (38%). The proportion of obese women in Australia was 8th highest out of 23 countries"

Last edited:
Diabetes is a big risk factor for covid death.

Chickens don't cause a huge spike in insulin in your body. Sugars do.
You could eat pretty much a whole chicken & have a relatively small spike to your insulin levels.
You would get way more a insulin hit from the bun & potatoes they also serve. Not to mention deserts. Does that mean we should boycott Coles etc because they sell deserts & raw sugar?
Brother is a type 2 diabetic so I'm pretty versed on what spikes insulin levels. Meat barely does anything. I've tested many foods personally.

Correct weight.

What foods particularly are you speaking of?

Chickens don't cause a huge spike in insulin in your body. Sugars do.
You could eat pretty much a whole chicken & have a relatively small spike to your insulin levels.
You would get way more a insulin hit from the bun & potatoes they also serve. Not to mention deserts. Does that mean we should boycott Coles etc because they sell deserts & raw sugar?
Brother is a type 2 diabetic so I'm pretty versed on what spikes insulin levels. Meat barely does anything. I've tested many foods personally.

That comment of mine had nothing to do with whether KFC should be a sponsor.

I think we must have been desperate to go with a sponsor that produce a product that is considered as low quality as KFC, but not particularly interested in the ethical arguments - however I do think that the industry will eventually go the way with some other company types like they did with tobacco sponsorship - that'll be a fair while off though.

That comment of mine had nothing to do with whether KFC should be a sponsor.

I think we must have been desperate to go with a sponsor that produce a product that is considered low quality, but not particularly interested in the ethical arguments.

But would you be happy to go with Coles or Wollies that sell products that are far more harmful when considering obesity & diabetes?
It's a sponsor that is financially supporting our club & I'm thankful. It wont make me any more or less likely to eat there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back