Did Sydney make a mistake by passing on Josh Dunkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was his backup plan. If he was picked by a Melbourne based side we would let him slide. If he wasn't we would have picked him up via FS.
So he got to have his cake and eat it too?

In other words he was happy to go to Sydney over any other interstate team, so if Sydney wanted him, they should have taken him.

So he got to have his cake and eat it too?

In other words he was happy to go to Sydney over any other interstate team, so if Sydney wanted him, they should have taken him.

He was honest, I respect him for that. End of the day I'd rather have players on our list that are 100% committed. He wanted to stay in Melbourne

All this talk sounds a lot like draft tampering to me if true from Dunks and Sydney.

How? We didn't want a player that wasn't committed fully to bring in Sydney long term. Simple. Plus we had a lot of inside mids.

Any club would love to have a guy who's 19 and just did that in an important final. But it's understandable from Sydney given the points they needed to use on Mills. If they picked Dunkley as well I imagine their third pick would have been very very late.

Blind Freddy could read between the lines that the Swans had done a deal to only take him if he was drafted by a non Victorian club.

Most of the talk leading up to the draft had him not even accepting the father son nomination. They found a way for him to partially accept it and I'm ok with that.

All those suggesting Sydney go back on their word and match the Dogs bid for him you must pretty untrustworthy people. No way the Swans were going to do that.

He's a beauty though isn't he? Strange but reasonably effective kicking action, quicker than he looks as well, great tackler, super smart and strong in the contest.

One of those is a defender.

Tall, strong, contested-ball winning, marking midfielders are a premium in today's game and you only would've had to downgrade two picks in the 50s to get him. Tyrone Leaonardis and Jordan Dawson (who might've been available in the 60s anyway) or Josh Dunkley? Two speculative picks or a bonafied AFL footballer? I know what I'd prefer.

He nominated the Swans 5 days before the draft. Gentlemens agreement means nothing, it was a free hit but Sydney opted to retain two picks in the 50s.

He was coming home as soon as he could. Hence the reluctant pass.

He's looked a Finals player last couple of weeks, hard physical contests are no problems for him, but really, was good to real good most of the year.

Should've had a couple of goals.
It's an interesting forward line with him & Picken there, surely they'd be inside mids at any other club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange thing about it is if he went to Sydney we may still not know how good he is.

It's fair to say the Dogs run of injuries this year opened the door for him to get an extended run in the seniors and to his credit he has grabbed it with both hands. I'm not sure he would have had the same opportunities at the Swans and may not even have got a game. Clearly he is more than capable and knowing what we know now he absolutely deserves a game, but it's not beyond the realm of possibilities he would have been playing NEAFL all year.

There is barely a Swans supporter I know personally or here on BF that doesn't hope Dunkley has a good career. Sure we're disappointed with how it worked out, but unlike the OP, we appreciate the circumstances and are prepared to take a pragmatic view that it's just the way it turned out....

If they lose Mitchell at the end of this year than passing on him will be felt more but they've got some good younger players coming through the midfield in the future with Hewett and Mills. Would be viewed as a Josh P. Kennedy midfield replacement if he was at the Swans.

Dunkley's year has surprised me. Didn't see him settling into that Bulldogs team so easily but thats also due to injuries to key midfield players. Credit to the kid he is taking his chances with Wallis out.

Not sure why the Swans are copping all the heat here. Every club (just about) had the option to select him - why arent their recruitment teams in the spotlight?

From memory, the knock on Dunkley prior to the draft was his kicking. Question marks were raised about how effective he could be at AFL level because of it, hence he slid.

I was a massive Dunkley fan last year and wanted him at the Tigers.

From memory, the knock on Dunkley prior to the draft was his kicking. Question marks were raised about how effective he could be at AFL level because of it, hence he slid.

I was a massive Dunkley fan last year and wanted him at the Tigers.
Agreed and his kicking still needs a little work. But it is ok at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back