Did Sydney make a mistake by passing on Josh Dunkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet another example of parents refusing to let their kids grow up.

Borderline draft tampering IMO.

Don't disagree with these sentiments

TBH I don't think we should have accommodated his request, he either wanted to be a Swan or he didn't. Obviously if there were some kind of extenuating circumstances then a club may consider it (i.e. a sick relative), otherwise Josh should've just grown a pair.

Hopefully we smash them on Saturday and Josh and his family regret that decision

The bigger mistake was made by Richmond. He was there. At Richmond. Training and playing. They had a front row seat to his character.

Then they went for Yarran instead.
To be fair to Richmond his form last season wasn't great. He went from an almost certain top five pick to almost no one on our board wanting him at pick 22 or whatever it was.

I think I read somewhere that he played all last year with what everyone thought was a back injury. But when he got to the club we had a look and it was a mis diagnosed hip injury.

He's been super impressive this year. Reminds me a lot of Selwood.

To be fair to Richmond his form last season wasn't great. He went from an almost certain top five pick to almost no one on our board wanting him at pick 22 or whatever it was.

I think I read somewhere that he played all last year with what everyone thought was a back injury. But when he got to the club we had a look and it was a mis diagnosed hip injury.

He's been super impressive this year. Reminds me a lot of Selwood.

He'll be a jet. Won't be a ducker. His character has been known about for 5 years at least.

surprised at swans fans suggesting they have a lot of his type and that justifies passing on him. Am i missing something or for a team with a lot of tough, tackling mids, have the swans been bashed to smithereens in several finals in recent years?

And isn't an abundance of inside mids a similar problem for the dogs? yet our coach found him a way to contribute, as he did with two other inside mids (Picken and Clay) in the last two weeks.

I just don't buy that you can have too many (in Dunkley's case) 190cm, strong marking, heavy tackling players who can kick goals and run all day.

Having said that, i also acknowledge that it sounds like there were other reasons they passed- and i accept them as an answer more readily. In such a case, shame on the other melbourne teams i guess (except St kilda because Gresham is a freak).

disclaimer: pre draft i didn't think he looked much chop. So maybe Dalrymple's just a gun

Less "can never have too many Dunkley types", more "a lack of emerging outside mids". That needs addressing more urgently than just stockpiling up the inside mids.

Agree with your last sentence - I thought he went too early at pick 25 but that's why Dalrymple is a recruiter and I'm on bigfooty

http://afl.com.au/news/2016-09-28/dunkleys-draft-deal-how-josh-ended-up-at-dogs

Should this be considered draft tampering? He only nominated the swans so that if he was bid on by a qld, sa or wa team, the swans would take him then trade him back to Victoria after a couple of seasons.

Seems dodgy, like wingard and cyril refusing to be drafted interstate.

Yes it should - go back a page and it's pretty much what the thread is discussing :p

But yeah, if the story is true then it seems a pretty cut and dried case of draft tampering. Although I'm not sure what the exact rules about it say (anybody got a link to the official rule?). But a side agreement between a club and a player that they will only draft him in order to prevent him being drafted by another non-Victorian club would seem to not leave much wriggle-room for club or player.

Should this be considered draft tampering? He only nominated the swans so that if he was bid on by a qld, sa or wa team, the swans would take him then trade him back to Victoria after a couple of seasons.

I'd ask for a trade from GWS in a second if i were good enough to play and got drafted there.

It seems sometimes players are drafted for currency and not team needs ala Boyd

There were a few reservations about him on the dogs board when he was drafted, but you wouldn't find anyone saying a bad word against him now, his intelligence on the field is up there with the best. He's going to grow into a natural leader and I'd say he's going to be in the leadership group before he's 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't stop James Hird from making it.
Hird's ball drop was weird and his style far from fluid machine like say a Buckley, but he was not a bad kick.

Anyway, Dunkley. Too early to say whether it's a mistake from Sydney, but he does look good so far.

While not a great look, he didn't break any rules.
Effectively put in place a system whereby any of 10 clubs could get him and if a non-Vic came along, the swans would grab him.
Not so much tampering to get to a single club but made his intentions to play in vic known
I think all kids should do that and spare a club the hassle of wasting a pick then having to work out a trade

It doesn't matter if he said he preferred Victoria, he still opted into the F/S nomination, and it was a big mistake for Sydney to pass on him.

It doesn't matter if he said he preferred Victoria, he still opted into the F/S nomination, and it was a big mistake for Sydney to pass on him.
He only opted into father/son because the Eagles were interested. If the Swans did draft him and he left after two years then what? He wouldn’t be a Swan now.

He’s the player we need but if he was never committed long term then the Swans would have missed out anyway.

He only opted into father/son because the Eagles were interested. If the Swans did draft him and he left after two years then what? He wouldn’t be a Swan now.
You don't know that. There are plenty of examples of players who didn't want to move interstate, but end up settling just fine. Look at how underwhelmed Hugh McCluggage and Jarrod Berry looked on draft night.
Teams like Gold Coast and Brisbane have to take this risk every single time they draft a kid out of their home state with their first rounder. For Sydney, they only had to match pick 25.

Sure, Dunkley could potentially go back to Victoria, but he could also potentially stay and be a gun midfielder for 10 years. Instead, you opted to select Tyrone Leonardis, a spud no longer on your list.

YEARROUNDSMIDFIELDFORWARD
20181-925%72%
201814-2375%24%
20191-640%60%
20197-868.5%31.5%

Discounting round 1-6 this year and rounds 1-9 2018, since he was played out of position, he has averaged 29.95 disposals per game when played primarily in the Midfield. He also averages 7.05 tackles per game.

He's a limited player in that he can't kick very well, but he's progressing as one of the best inside mids in the game, and he's still just 22yo.

I have no idea what Beveridge was doing playing him forward at the start of the year. It was clear at the end of 2018 he was an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back