Autopsy Did the actions of Lewis, Hogan, Bugg earlier in the season cost the Dees a finals spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly, only themselves to blame. Close losses, poor kicking for goal, suspensions, ill discipline. Then, when they had it in their own hands, they choked.

We also need to figure out how to put the foot down when on top. In recent weeks we had 30-40 point leads against the Saints, Port and Brisbane and let them back in the game. If we maintain our 5 goal lead in the last quarter against the Lions then WCE would not have caught our %.

Shockingly drafted argument. Collingwood were 3 games from 7th. Collingwood were nowhere near the 7th best team just as Melbourne were nowhere near the best team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's literally no argument. I'm just saying there are a lot of alot of sliding door moments. Impossible to pin it to an exact one.

Melbourne couldn't make the 8 with an easy draw and dominate ruckman.

They are simply a mid table team and will be again next year

Melbourne couldn't make the 8 with an easy draw and dominate ruckman.

They are simply a mid table team and will be again next year
Uhh...did you miss Max Gawn tearing his hamstring in Round 3?

How about you do the work? Let us know what games were lost with the three you named out, and that were close enough that is reasonable to claim those players' absences were an issue. And How many were still out when they lost to Collingwood this week. Otherwise just lazy trolling.
Also potentially the cost if a young team not being a bit assertive and playing near the edge.

Sometimes these things are an impetus for a side taking a significant step forward, will be interesting to see how they respond next year. They played some great footy at times, but their consistency needs improvement.
We are going to learn a lot about Melbourne in 2018. I expect the disappointment of narrowly missing finals to be a big motivation for us going into the pre-season. We really have to beat the sides below us more frequently and convincingly. Losses against North twice, Fremantle, Hawthorn and Collingwood was unacceptable and we didn't deserve to play finals ultimately. I'm still optimistic on our future prospects though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even last year's premiers didn't make the eight; it's a tight competition.

Re: the OP; we missed out on finals by less than 1%; of course suspensions cost us. So did injuries, so did luck.

We'll dust ourselves off and be stronger in 2018.

As for Collingwood/Eagles supporters laying in the boots- as if we give a s**t what you think. Our list is better and only an idiot would argue otherwise.

Too much diving, too much being cocky, bantering when they should be focused pregame etc

Harsh lesson to learn, hope they do feel s**t because otherwise it will just happen again

Those shitty things you list, we did those when we were winning. We turned to water at the business end of the season and didn't turn up for a must win game - that's what cost us.

To the OP, we missed out by .5 percent so yeah I guess the suspensions contributed. When you miss out by so little you can point to a hundred things throughout the season and say "if it wasn't for this" or "if they hadn't done that".... I think they just should've beaten the pies but couldn't. Pissweak.

10 years of accepting mediocrity caused them to miss the finals, accepted a losing culture and results to Collingwood bring this to the for front. Don't worry however, the AFL will give them another priority pick, been sponging off them for the last decade.

Even last year's premiers didn't make the eight; it's a tight competition.

Re: the OP; we missed out on finals by less than 1%; of course suspensions cost us. So did injuries, so did luck.

We'll dust ourselves off and be stronger in 2018.

As for Collingwood/Eagles supporters laying in the boots- as if we give a s**t what you think. Our list is better and only an idiot would argue otherwise.
Is your list better though?
On paper maybe it looks better, but maybe they just don't have what it takes, showed in a few games this year.

Not sure about the premise of the OP. Melb had a very good year by their standards (miserable finish notwithstanding).

Some players took a significant step forward for them this year.

Surely they make finals next year?

Who is to say their occasionally unsociable footy wasn't key to their improvement on last year? They were bullied a lot in recent years. Never saw that this year.

You would think the suspensions would have made a difference in at least the freo game but who knows? They really let themselves down against Collingwood.

I reckon what cost us against Freo and Geelong was keeping Weideman in the side and refusing to bring Pedersen in.

But yes we definitely let ourselves down against the Pies, that was unforgiveable.

Last edited:
10 years of accepting mediocrity caused them to miss the finals, accepted a losing culture and results to Collingwood bring this to the for front. Don't worry however, the AFL will give them another priority pick, been sponging off them for the last decade.

What a terrible attempt at trolling. Didn't even try to get creative about it and was filled with at least 10 factual inaccuracies in one short paragraph. 0/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back