Analysis Did the new 6-6-6 rule cost Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

As per the title, did the new 6-6-6 rule cost Carlton? Under the old system they could of dropped another 2 back behind the ball at the last centre bounce to help save the game. Under the new rules, they were denied.
I find it ironic where the AFL sets these things up to “equalise” the comp, yet they potentially just killed a coach and hurt a club already on its knees performance wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Under the old rule ,GCS could structure differently too . Is like if Powell not knock down by Setterfield could GCS play better .

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Naah

The trick is not to get in that situation. In the big pucture although they haven't won a game the Blues have been competitive in every game.

Typically young talented sides coming off the bottom get their wins with aggressive running and enthusiasm. If anything the 6-6-6 rule forces them into that mode a bit.

A bit like the Lions if previous years I think their doing the hard things pretty well, just not not keeping the pressure on with errors at critical times. It'll click at some point, but I'm guessing Bolton is desperately looking for the key.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Played the whole game under 6-6-6 rules and they were in it until the death.
Can't really blame lack of awareness from players on the rules of the game.

If anything, 6-6-6 is helping Cripps dominate the game. He is getting a lot of space to utilise his talent in these days. Which is rather good to see.

As for Bolts. Blues would be mad to sack him. He's in year 4 of what looked to be a 7-8 year rebuild.
Has just got the list around the corner. Sacking him would be a poor decision. Even if they dont win a game this year

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Even if the 6-6-6 rule did cost Carlton (which I don't think it did) do you really think the AFL would care given the win went to Gold Coast? They'd be absolutely loving Gold Coast at 3-1, even though from what I saw they will fall back to the pack pretty quickly.

Anyway the rules aren't made to favour individual teams, everyone has to play within the same rules.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We have been competitive in every game and with some more composure could have won two. With that in mind I can't see how 6-6-6 has negatively impacted Carlton. I don't even think 6-6-6 has had any impact on the game except if a team gets a quick centre clearance

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The 6-6-6 rule is relevant only after a goal is scored. Carlton hit the front with almost 6 minutes of play left, Gold Coast's winning goal came more than 5 minutes later. Unless you want to argue Carlton didn't have time in that 5 minute period to drop players back to protect the goal, the rule was completely irrelevant to how the end played out.

If anything, it worked in their favour by giving them a chance to steal it in the final 10 seconds.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Just happy to watch a close game with that type of finish.
Thought the guy in the goal square should have been in the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
We have been competitive in every game and with some more composure could have won two. With that in mind I can't see how 6-6-6 has negatively impacted Carlton. I don't even think 6-6-6 has had any impact on the game except if a team gets a quick centre clearance

and a mark being paid to Liam Jones at the death.

Seriously, bigfooty has almost been reduced to a permanent work-shopping session for the whinge-alots to test half baked brain f4rts on why the noo rules are bad
You don't have to read every thread.

and a mark being paid to Liam Jones at the death.

But from that play Gold Coast kicked a point. Carlton had the lead and possession of the ball.

A certain fan of theirs was screaming black and blue that decision cost them the match. It absolutely didn’t.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
As per the title, did the new 6-6-6 rule cost Carlton? Under the old system they could of dropped another 2 back behind the ball at the last centre bounce to help save the game. Under the new rules, they were denied.
I find it ironic where the AFL sets these things up to “equalise” the comp, yet they potentially just killed a coach and hurt a club already on its knees performance wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rules are the rules and all clubs play within those rules.

There were probably 5 or 6 incidents across the whole game that cost the Blues, not just that one incident.

Good teams learn from errors like that, I hope like hell this loss hurts like hell so they won't let another one slip like that again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back