Did the new stadium help us playing at the MCG?

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
I am pretty sure we were undefeated there in 2018. Dramatic turnaround in form compared to the last few years.

Off the top of my head, our losses...
Sydney @ Optus
Sydney @ SCG
Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
Essendon @ Optus
Melbourne @ Optus
North @ Tasmania or some s**t

As far as who we played at the G?

I know we beat Collingwood twice there (including GF)

We beat Hawthorn in Melb, but was it at the G?

That right there is 3 wins at the MCG against top 4 teams (Obviously Hawthorn wasn't top 4 at the time but Collingwood was in ripping form)

I am pretty sure we were undefeated there in 2018. Dramatic turnaround in form compared to the last few years.

Sydney @ Optus
Sydney @ SCG
Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
Essendon @ Optus
Melbourne @ Optus

That right there is 3 wins at the MCG against top 4 teams (Obviously Hawthorn wasn't top 4 at the time but Collingwood was in ripping form)
We beat Hawthorn at Etihad. I am wearing the same shirt as that day today (as well as last Saturday) Wooshette ;)

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
to offset playing the GF there every year for the next 200 years.
I just know, If I live another 50 odd years, the last thing I'll see on the news, is the AFL announcing they have already extended the GF at the MCG for X amount of decades, once again with no consultation...

"ya know, its like, the deals been done, we cant do anything about it now....sorry"

Considering the GF will always be played at the MCG, we had to do something to even the odds. Having Optus with similar dimensions was a massive reason why we are the premiers. God I love our new stadium.

I think the benefit is more the cauldron nature of the stadium

Subi never had that with the mismatched stands

Our game style is also such that we now prefer an open expanse as we try to spread the defence - which is completely different to what we had a few years back where we tried to shut the game down and the wide expanses were problematic

A few of the boys have said that when they ran out on Grand Final day at the G, it felt almost exactly the same as Optus when they run out for a home game.

That's got to be some kind of advantage in our favour for years to come!
Perhaps we should start booing the boys as they come out, that way they'll feel perfectly at home when they run out on the G in another GF.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Perhaps we should start booing the boys as they come out, that way they'll feel perfectly at home when they run out on the G in another GF.
No no no no - the mcg is a neutral ground

Equal tickets - same amount of fans from each team

/end vicflogpoast

PerthblueGold

Debutant
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Sydney @ Optus
Sydney @ SCG
Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
Essendon @ Optus
Melbourne @ Optus

Yes it did...and another huge factor was Sam Mitchell....

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
In short,
Yes, 100% of course it did.

With the addition of 20,000 extra (vocal) fans who have been in the wings waiting for their voice to be heard, the new stadium has helped everything.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
The players all seem to think so. Schoey in particular pointed out that running out on the MCG feels very similar to Optus because they're both just vertical colosseums with tall stands.

The MCG oval we've got at Lathlain would also have helped to an extent.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The players all seem to think so. Schoey in particular pointed out that running out on the MCG feels very similar to Optus because they're both just vertical colosseums with tall stands.

The MCG oval we've got at Lathlain would also have helped to an extent.
Ummm, so........... Is this Mitch Marsh??

Back