Autopsy Did the SANFL grow too large?

Remove this Banner Ad

Greatness by premierships - remember we are playing in the expanded VFL and those old premierships count - they are ahead of 15 other clubs. So when you apply all criteria over a 121 seasons then they do fall into the great club box. They aren't a great club by premierships in the AFL whether that starts in 1982 with South Melbourne's move to Sydney, or 1987 when Brisbane and WCE joined or 1990 when they changed name to AFL or 1991 when SA put a team in the comp.

We are a great club over our 147 year history, but you can't apply greatness to our club over the last 21 seasons in the AFL.
The great clubs of the AFL era (1990 - present)
5 - Hawthorn
3 - West Coast
3 - Geelong
3 - Brisbane

Lol this would be awesome. Imagine people from Golden Grove, an area which people there like to believe they live in this made up area they like to call the "North-Eastern suburbs" rubbing shoulders with people from Elizabeth.

Golden Grove is a northern suburb but try telling that to someone that lives in Golden Grove.
Fighting words. There's a huge difference between the north east and the north. Only someone that lives on the Elizabeth side of the hill or hasn't lived in both areas like I have wouldn't understand that. GG and Modbury, down to Athelstone and Paradise. Massively different to what's on the other side of the hill in Salisbury. The worst area on the NE side of the hill is the valley view and para hills areas that reach down to those northern suburbs

Fighting words. There's a huge difference between the north east and the north. Only someone that lives on the Elizabeth side of the hill or hasn't lived in both areas like I have wouldn't understand that. GG and Modbury, down to Athelstone and Paradise. Massively different to what's on the other side of the hill in Salisbury. The worst area on the NE side of the hill is the valley view and para hills areas that reach down to those northern suburbs
I totally agree.

Greatness by premierships - remember we are playing in the expanded VFL and those old premierships count - they are ahead of 15 other clubs. So when you apply all criteria over a 121 seasons then they do fall into the great club box. They aren't a great club by premierships in the AFL whether that starts in 1982 with South Melbourne's move to Sydney, or 1987 when Brisbane and WCE joined or 1990 when they changed name to AFL or 1991 when SA put a team in the comp.

We are a great club over our 147 year history, but you can't apply greatness to our club over the last 21 seasons in the AFL.

Exactly my point.

The great clubs of the AFL era (1990 - present)
5 - Hawthorn
3 - West Coast
3 - Geelong
3 - Brisbane
And if you go 1987 ie there was no difference between 1987,1988, 1989 and 1990 in terms of teams in the comp its just a name change then its
7 - Hawthorn and the rest are the same except for Carlton who goes from 1 to 2.

The issue is that instead of embracing change, the bunch of old bitter fools tried to kill us. This has alienated 40,000 people and killed any chance of reconcialition arising from our betrayed 1st attempt to join the AFL.

The league is going to die a slow death unless we remove some of these biased idiots. There’s no way I want the SANFL to die but unless some of these other clubs embrace the Magpies and Crow’s reserve, the SANFL is done.

Look at a map. Adelaide is a very linear city (about 20 km by 90 km) so it has a north, a south and a very minimal east and west.

North east is a term people made up so they can think they are better than others and because of this the most pretentious twats i have ever met in this city always come from that area.

Can I assume you drive around with a "I live in the worlds best address" bumper sticker on your car?

Look at a map. Adelaide is a very linear city (about 20 km by 90 km) so it has a north, a south and a very minimal east and west.

North east is a term people made up so they can think they are better than others and because of this the most pretentious twats i have ever met in this city always come from that area.

Can I assume you drive around with a "I live in the worlds best address" bumper sticker on your car?

I thought it was what school you went to that was the ultimate measuring stick for Adeladeians, or is that only amongst the pretentious twats?

Lol listen to this offended Salisburian. Mate there's a huge difference between the areas whether you like it or not. There is a hill range that divides and completely separates the 2 areas.

The north eastern suburbs is far from the state's premium address, but to call the north eastern suburbs a made up location is pure ignorance and stupidity.

The O-Bahn is also pretty much the defining line of this part of town. Whereas the train out north defines that area. 2 completely different demographics.

Thats like saying Port Adelaide is in the western suburbs. It's in the north west and is completely different area than the true west.

Last edited:

North of Gepps Cross it’s a matter of degrees of shitiness. Yeah, Elizabeth and Salisbury are worse, but let’s not pretend any are ‘good’ suburbs.

TTG & Athelstone for the win! beautiful areas only inner city dipshits would lump these places in with Elizabeth

I thought it was what school you went to that was the ultimate measuring stick for Adeladeians, or is that only amongst the pretentious twats?
That's only for the people that went to the "right" schools. Noone that went to the right school lives north of Walkerville.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've found this map:
7718010bbe92cd35de8baec4a63c9482.gif

I hope it helps me following the conversation...

Where are the SANFL clubs (including AFC) located?

I've found this map:
7718010bbe92cd35de8baec4a63c9482.gif

I hope it helps me following the conversation...

Where are the SANFL clubs (including AFC) located?
It's got a fair bit of adjusting to do. The north east goes further south and is further east than those lines but yes gives you an idea.

Sorry for the crap quality but this is about it.
20171111_194430.jpg

It's got a fair bit of adjusting to do. The north east goes further south and is further east than those lines but yes gives you an idea.

Sorry for the crap quality but this is about it.
View attachment 436482

For a 6+2 league, one way would be merging:
a) Glenelg and South;
b) North and West;

So, the 8 teams would be:
Magpies
Crows
---
Central
Norwood
Sturt
WWT
North-West Adelaide
- (NW Bloody Roosters)
Glenelg-South Adelaide
- (GSA Cats)

Last edited:
PAFC and Crows are practically neighbours!

Technically speaking I shouldn’t have even put them on the map since you asked where the “club” is located, which in their case is farken nowhere. But that’s where their head office and training facilities plague the landscape.

PAFC and Crows are practically neighbours!
Yes it's only a couple minute drive between Alberton oval and Footy Park. But the Crows aren't really from that area they were just formed from the SANFL whose headquarters and oval was Footy Park in Westlakes.

Edit. Papa beat me to it.

#shitclubnohistory

Technically speaking I shouldn’t have even put them on the map since you asked where the “club” is located, which in their case is farken nowhere. But that’s where their head office and training facilities plague the landscape.

Grêmio's social club is barely non-existent (and our rival has separated its social club from its football club), so I get what AFC is. It is legit in its own way.

Thank you for putting it there.

P.S.: With time, I show you Porto Alegre's map. Grêmio is from 1903, but it has moved two times already (1954 and 2013). The 1954 stadium was close to Internacional's, who has been in the same neighborhood always.

Geographically, we would be the North side team, and they, the South side, but the supporters are somewhat evenly distributed through town.

Last edited:
Yes it's only a couple minute drive between Alberton oval and Footy Park. But the Crows aren't really from that area they were just formed from the SANFL whose headquarters and oval was Footy Park in Westlakes.

Edit. Papa beat me to it.

#shitclubnohistory

It is a tied game!
1-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back