did the umpire nearly help the Dogs to a win?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well im not to sure about the call, when i seen it i was confused because he played on and the umpire called him back but the clock ticket down 1-2 seconds, but i think if the umpire let him play on he would of got it off before the siren went, but that's just my opinion

Didnt help when they didnt pay a free to aka against D Johnson in the dying seconds. Thwarted aka's lead about 3 times with the hold. Was worse than others paid thru the night.

I think you have got it all wrong. This thread should be "the umpires helped Geelong to a win"

Seriously, the umpiring tonight was absurd. There were different sets of rules for the two teams, and without it I doubt it would have come down to the last kick of the night in any case. When the hell is the someone going to make the umpires apply the same rules to Geelong as they do to everyone else.

Didnt help when they didnt pay a free to aka against D Johnson in the dying seconds. Thwarted aka's lead about 3 times with the hold. Was worse than others paid thru the night.

Maybe you missed the one where Aker threw DJ to the ground by his shirt, 30 metres off the ball, before setting off on a lead.

Johnson took the mark. As the umpire was lining him up, he ran around to open the angle. The umpire had already stopped the clock so he brought the ball back.

You could then clearly hear him say "The siren might blow" and something else.

Surely that is overstepping the boundary?

Yeah i heard something like that also but is it any different to the way they umpire throughout the game? They are constantly assisting/advising what a player should do in order to avoid a free kick. And to be fair to the umps they would probably have less of an idea about how long is left than the players do.

Well im not to sure about the call, when i seen it i was confused because he played on and the umpire called him back but the clock ticket down 1-2 seconds, but i think if the umpire let him play on he would of got it off before the siren went, but that's just my opinion

There was 1 second on the clock when he took the mark. If he plays on the siren sounds.

Absolutely and he also had his arms chopped and was impeded when he went for the mark. :mad::thumbsdown:

The only thing consistant for both teams tonight was the holding the ball interpretation, on plenty of others the Dogs got a rough deal.

Although the Joel Corey deleberate free is one of the worst umpiring decisions I've seen.

I thought he would have easily kicked it had the umpire not brought him back.

Unless he already called time off (for some reason?), there really was no reason to bring him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe you missed the one where Aker threw DJ to the ground by his shirt, 30 metres off the ball, before setting off on a lead.

You mean the other time when Johnsonn was trying to hold him back from leading? I would have given a free kick to Aker straight in front of goal but obviously the umpire wasn't looking that far off the ball.

The only thing consistant for both teams tonight was the holding the ball interpretation, on plenty of others the Dogs got a rough deal.

Although the Joel Corey deleberate free is one of the worst umpiring decisions I've seen.

It was an obvious free kick. What do you think he was trying to do? Atleast handball it to within 15m of a team mate.

Game isnt even finished here in WA yet but im over watching the fkin ridiculous umpiring that throws everything the cats way.

As a neutral its painfully obvious seeing the amount of protection and advantage the cats are receiving tonight. :thumbsdown:

A couple of very iffy calls close to the dying seconds of that game,but hey Johnno missed the easily kickable goal, game over, Cats win in a cliffhanger!!
:)Great game for the spectator:thumbsu:

It was an obvious free kick. What do you think he was trying to do? Atleast handball it to within 15m of a team mate.

And Picken's handball to the boundary line in the last?

I was at the match and it was obvious that the umpires had put the whistle away for the last quarter. I am not going to debate umpiring frees because it's pointless. Players and supporters can't control an umpires decision. It amazes me that sore losers lambaste the umpires when players' decision-making and execution have far more impact on the game. If Doggie supporters want something to complain about then take issue with your teams skill level in the 1st quarter.

I thought the same thing.

After lining up, Johnson attempted to play on, and the umpire stopped him and said you can't play on, and made him go back and line up the set shot. The way I understood the rule was, if you play on after the siren that's game over, same way that if a player lines up out of bounds and plays on, it becomes out of bounds.

Did I see it wrong, or was it the umpire not wanting to make a big call like that and robbing the bulldogs?

If he played on and the siren went, then it would have been game over. All players know not to play on near the siren when there's a shot to take. We've all seen a player go for a short pass and the siren go with the ball in the air.

Great game though all the same.

You can not be serious. I'm not big on deliberate out of bounds but he handpassed the ball over his head 15 - 20 m with now one around directly at the boundry line. Blatant free kick and for once an umpire had the balls to blow the whistle against Geelong something they failed to do for the whole game.

hHere was nothing consistant about the umpiring at all last night, Geelong got everything the Bulldogs hardly got a thing but in the end we had our chance and should have won. :(

Honestly, Geelong are a fantastic football team on their own merits. Why do the umpires give them an armchair ride? They would win most games anyway, but with their preferential treatment in EVERY MATCH I HAVE SEEN in the last 2 years it is almost impossible for them to lose. FFS favour Melbourne or Richmond who are struggling don't favour the premier team in the comp!

I thought it was one of the best umpired games all year. I just watched the replay again on Fox and the umpires definitely put the whistle away in the last qtr...which is the way it should be. There were free kicks both ways but what it did do was create a really good contest.
The decision to call Johnno back was the right one. The umpire called time off with 1 sec left on the clock and was in the process of putting Johnno back on his line when he tried to play on. He had to go back and take his kick. Pity he missed, would have been a fantastic finish; it was anyway.
Only complaint about umpiring was the obvious directive to penalise players with 50m if they take a player out of the next play-stupid rule, way too harsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back