List Mgmt. Did we lose the Treloar Trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies land another Giant gun

Collingwood received: Adam Treloar, pick No.28
Giants received: Pick No.7, No.65, Collingwood's 2016 round one selection

The Pies' midfielder has become a star of the competition and led the League for disposals last season, but the Giants would be more than happy with their return. They punted their picks for points used to secure Jacob Hopper and Harry Himmelberg in 2015, and Harry Perryman a year later via the club's Academy, with all three outstanding this year.

Who won the trade: Treloar has been prolific but Hopper finished third in the club champion award in 2019 and Himmelberg was ranked No.1 for goal assists in the competition. GWS win.

Both are Good so I call it a Draw but I guess saying GWS win means more Clicks

Dave the truth is we were going to get him for a first round draft pick ........then David Mathews stepped in.

I am glad his team got pumped.....a little bit of karma.

Depends if we think Treloar is better than who we could have picked. Curnow was available after our pick in the 2015 draft. As was Weideman and Harry McKay. Can't remember 2016 very well

Depends if we think Treloar is better than who we could have picked. Curnow was available after our pick in the 2015 draft. As was Weideman and Harry McKay. Can't remember 2016 very well

We don't know who we would picked at those 2 Pick 6's

Difficult to say, my first instinct would be to say yes, I would absolutely prefer Curnow straight up over Treloar, not including whatever else. You add in 2016 would have been pick 7? Not as good a year, plenty of just ok players around the 7-20 range, maybe a Logue, Florent, Powell-Pepper etc.

That said, we've got a midfield group who have underachieved, in the 2018 GF and for the entirety of 2019. Given the age of Pendlebury, the question marks over Beams, the disposal of Adams, the professionalism of Sier, if you take Treloar out of the centre square, it's not looking great.

I'm aware Treloar has somewhat low hurt factor by foot, but he is in his prime, he racks up numbers like Swanny and has a burst of speed we really don't have much of.

So factoring in all that, man, it's hard to make a call. That article should probably call it a 50/50.

It's way more complicated than detailed in that article with numerous pick swaps after pick swaps.

The main parts:

We also got pick 28 back in the Treloar deal, which went to Brisbane as part of the Aish trade, of relevance we got pick 34 in return. Pick 34 and later picks were swapped with GWS. Ignoring the later picks we upgraded 34 to pick 27 and drafted Sier. Basically from our end of the Treloar trade we gained Treloar and Sier or as an alternative view Treloar and half of Aish.

GWS exchanged picks after picks both in 2015 and 2016. 2015 - Our first round pick was swapped with Bugg to gain pick 10 and some later picks. 2016- Amongst other picks our 2016 first round pick and McCarthy were traded to Freo for pick 3. Pick 3 and pick 16 were then traded to Brisbane for pick 2 (Taranto) and a handful of later picks (Perryman). It's really impossible to say what GWS gained from our first round picks and we were in no position to include the extras that allowed GWS to upgrade and downgrade those picks. Plus we had no access to their academy players. Basically from GWS's perspective they gained Hopper, Kennedy, Himmelberg, Taranto and Perryman in exchange for our picks, McCarthy, Bugg, pick 16 (2016), pick 34 (2016), McKenna and various later picks.

Last edited:
Did they deliberately leave out Sier with our 2nd round pick back and then forget to quote that the 3 players in the article all received academy discounts so we couldn't have drafted them if the picks remained with us, actually inflating the benefit to GWS ? How's that different to the Beams deal but but but we gave up 2 x 1st rounders for Beams? IQ was a freebie???

Those Picks ended up pick 9 in 2015 and pick 7 in 2016 after academy bids. GWS actually traded pick 7 2016 and Cam McCarthy to Freo for pick 3. Later trading pick 3 + 16 to BL for pick 2 and 31. They took Taranto with pick 2. Journo's are really quite lazy these days and inaccurate with their reporting or deliberate absence of facts to help pump up a story.

The players taken with our pick 9 were Sam Weideman and pick 7 Griffen Logue. Given our list shape quite likely we take Weideman as he was rated higher than Curnow by most draft watchers and it was a toss up between Jack Scrimshaw and Griffen Logue. Not sure we're losing the trade with the players we likely would have drafted or had available to us.

Edit: Hahaha barrackers beat me too it.

Did they deliberately leave out Sier with our 2nd round pick back and then forget to quote that the 3 players in the article all received academy discounts so we couldn't have drafted them if the picks remained with us, actually inflating the benefit to GWS ? How's that different to the Beams deal but but but we gave up 2 x 1st rounders for Beams? IQ was a freebie???

Those Picks ended up pick 9 in 2015 and pick 7 in 2016 after academy bids. GWS actually traded pick 7 2016 and Cam McCarthy to Freo for pick 3. Later trading pick 3 + 16 to BL for pick 2 and 31. They took Taranto with pick 2. Journo's are really quite lazy these days and inaccurate with their reporting or deliberate absence of facts to help pump up a story.

The players taken with our pick 9 were Sam Weideman and pick 7 Griffen Logue. Given our list shape quite likely we take Weideman as he was rated higher than Curnow by most draft watchers and it was a toss up between Jack Scrimshaw and Griffen Logue. Not sure we're losing the trade with the players we likely would have drafted or had available to us.

Edit: Hahaha barrackers beat me too it.
Great minds... and you've factored in some things I hadn't.

GWS did well with those academy boys, but we didn't have access to them, so theyre irrelevant from our perspective. To decide whether it was a good trade for us, you've got to compare Treloar to whoever we would have drafted. Only Dekka can tell you that.

Chris Judd may have been the only player to cost more? Assuming you count Kennedy as pick 2 or 3 or whatever he went for in his draft. I could be wrong though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Judd may have been the only player to cost more? Assuming you count Kennedy as pick 2 or 3 or whatever he went for in his draft. I could be wrong though.

What about Kelly in this Trade Period?

What about Kelly in this Trade Period?
Don’t understand people saying West Coast got ripped in that trade. 1 late first rounder in a shallow draft, a future 1st likely to be close to 20, and a second rounder... thats fair for a Star, and no where near Treloars price

We lost the trade because I dont think Treloar can get back to his best.

He used to break lines and sprint away from packs. Now since that bad hamstring he has lost that pace he once had, and about 10m in kicking depth.

It all depends on whether Collingwood won or lost on any given weekend, and how Treloar played in that game.
He can either be a resounding success, or a high possession winner who wastes most of his disposals and leaves you wondering.
I would say the former outweighs the latter, therefore he is a success.

This is an easy one and it’s a clear yes. We have a gun football and if he was to request a trade he would be worth two first round picks.

I don’t know how anyone can say we lost.

Who cares who picked up who with those picks. Completely irrelevant. We had pick 6 and 10 and passed on Cripps twice after Daisy left. A grade midfielder is worth 2 first round picks.

Giving someone a ready made him beats draft picks any day. Draft picks can only lessen the pain of losing a gun. Look at the Cats v Eagles trade for Kelly, no way did Geelong win that trade. They lost a top 5 in the Brownlow for the opportunity to have more picks in the top 20. They don’t even know if they will get the player they want and if they do he could be a spud.

There are people that actually think Cats won the trade by trading an A grader for draft picks 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️. If we traded Treloar for a pick in the teens and early 20s I would be shattered.

We lost the trade because I dont think Treloar can get back to his best.

He used to break lines and sprint away from packs. Now since that bad hamstring he has lost that pace he once had, and about 10m in kicking depth.

Treloar said somewhere he was advised by the surgeon that his hamstring injuries were 18-24 month injuries.

I reckon this will sit in his mind. Suspect we're going to see a similar version of him in some of 2020 and after that he'll start trying to put the foot down.

Pretty sure the picks we traded ended up being Griffen Logue and Weideman. Not saying we'd have picked those 2 boys but the jury is still out.

It doesn’t matter whether we ‘won or lost’ the trade. We have a quality player who loves the club and that is massive for us right now. He may not have turned out to be a true elite midfielder and his disposal can be average. And at Collingwood we do have a tendency to overrate our list. But he has suffered a serious injury and still may get to that level. I have no problem what we gave up to get Ads but plenty of problems with some of the other rubbish deals our recruiters have dealt us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back