List Mgmt. Did we lose the Treloar Trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

The answer to that question to me almost completely depends on Brayden Sier.

My view is this: 2 pick 7s for Treloar alone is paying too much, way too much. Treloar is a very good player, quick, ball magnet, incredible work rate. But his use of the footy is not elite. I might pay two pick 7s for Dusty or the Bont, but not too many others...We paid 2 pick 7s for a relatively poor user of the footy. Pick 7 plus steak knives (Witts, a 3rd rounder etc.) no problem. But paying 2 pick 7s for Treloar came at the massive opportunity cost of setting up for spine for the next 10 years.

However, its a little disingenuous to talk only of two pick 7s when we got a 2nd rounder back that turned into Brayden Sier. Now if Sier has a career like the 2nd half of 2018. Then we will have got value for money: two very good players for pick 7s. Mind you Id have still preferred we invested in the spine, but two good players are not to be sneezed at. However, if Sier fritters his career away, which sadly looks a distinct possibility, then yup, we overpaid for a player yet to win a B and F, and yet to make an All Australian team..

The question is would you do the so called Pies/GWS deal of a 1st round pick today if it was on the table?

One risk factor for poor mental health is constantly thinking about and then ruminating over the supposed consequences of what ifs.
As Pies supporters, this is one risk factor we could do without.

This is a ridiculous debate as all players involved have years left and anything can happen, so to see who "wins" now is just dumb

It all depends on whether Collingwood won or lost on any given weekend, and how Treloar played in that game.
He can either be a resounding success, or a high possession winner who wastes most of his disposals and leaves you wondering.
I would say the former outweighs the latter, therefore he is a success.

He needs more Inside Mids in the Midfield so he can play more outside then inside

A better question to ask is . . .

As an established player with identified strengths and weaknesses is the player able to fill an identified lack in our list and contribute to an improvement not possible with another similar or lesser player.

If the answer to that is yes on all counts then winning or losing the trade is largely irrelevant.

Building a list that is capable of challenging for 4 or 5 years takes talent, intelligence and luck.

You get the necassary players where you can and at the best price you can - regardless of the win/lose equation some of you seem obsessed with.

Yep, if he was the same age now as he was four years ago when we did the deal.

The Suns think Treloar is worth pick 1, fyi.

If you give any credence to that report that is.

Personally I don't think there's any way what is alleged in that article transpired in the way it was put forward without there being at least a whiff of smoke at the time - it's simply far too juicy a tidbit not to bait someone into leaking / writing / talking about it.

It’s a fine line, if we win a premiership then it was genius...if we don’t it was a disaster.

Then Majority of Trades are Disasters that are for High Draft Picks

It’s a fine line, if we win a premiership then it was genius...if we don’t it was a disaster.
So true. We paid picks 14 and 46 for Jolly - a bloke who played one and a half years of good average footy for us. Without the flag, that trade was a dud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you give any credence to that report that is.

Personally I don't think there's any way what is alleged in that article transpired in the way it was put forward without there being at least a whiff of smoke at the time - it's simply far too juicy a tidbit not to bait someone into leaking / writing / talking about it.

It was s throwaway Line by me anyway and the truth or otherwise doesn’t change my opinion of whether the original trade was spot on.

It was s throwaway Line by me anyway and the truth or otherwise doesn’t change my opinion of whether the original trade was spot on.

If that were the case then Treloar would be worth pick 1 and something else to GCS I suspect in most people's eyes.

So true. We paid picks 14 and 46 for Jolly - a bloke who played one and a half years of good average footy for us. Without the flag, that trade was a dud.

With the flag the trade means everything. Wouldn't have won it without Jolly and Big Bad Leroy manning the ruck.

At the time we paid a high price to get him.
He’s been a solid contributor but hasn’t quite hit his full potential in my opinion.
Hopefully he can keep building his form, kick a few more of those running goals per game, and make a few AA Teams over the next few years.

It’s too early to say if we’ve “lost” the trade or not. Still needs to win 2 Copeland’s, 3 AA jackets, and a premiership. One can only wish. 😁

2016 draft isn't looking that great atm Pies got an established hard running quick star I'm pretty happy with the trade-in hindsight

Pies probably did pay to much.

Gubby got us again.

Pretty much, even the Judd trade in hindsight might be questioned.
Not might, out should be. Judd got way more out of that than Carlton. They can bang on about bring a goal from a prelim all they want, but they were nowhere near a flag and gave up one of the best modern day key-forwards and a top draft pick, all they got in return was a brownlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back